Question- is a pop up considered an RV or a tent?

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by MNhappycampers, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MNhappycampers

MNhappycampers I'd rather be camping

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but my husband and I just purchased our first pop up camper 2 weeks ago. I'm getting ready to make reservations for camping, but I'm not sure if I should list the camper as an RV or a tent. I want to avoid paying extra for an RV site if possible. Is there a safe rule of thumb when reserving sites?

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It is considered as an RV. A tent sits flat on the ground and is staked down, it also does not have raised beds, electric hook ups, water etc.

3. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

I think this is especially true when you have a sink plumbed for hot and cold water and a waste drain, a plumbed flush toilet, a plumbed shower, a stove and an oven, a microwave, a furnace, an a/c, and a fixed electrical system. This goes well beyond a tent.

Mausinn likes this.
  4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Depends!

But for reservations it is a RV/Trailer.

5. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

However, in some campgrounds you will be using the tent sites instead of rv. So best is to call the campground if pop up are not listed as an option.

Good luck!

6. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

RV

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

No doubt it's an RV. However, I have gone to several campgrounds that will let you put any RV that fits in a primitive site.

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I also say RV as some places the tent sites are not accessible by vehicle, such as you park and carry all your stuff to your site and set-up your tent. Some CG's the tent sites are smaller or simply don't have hook-ups.

9. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

It has wheels. It is an RV. But when you make your reservation you can select a site (usually) with no utilities. They cost less. You can fill you water tank (if equipped ) on the way in. Dont forget your graywater bucket
    [ALPU] [TV]

10. MNhappycampers

MNhappycampers I'd rather be camping

Thanks everybody! We're planning a trip to Yellowstone, and there are several campgrounds within the park. Some are RV, some are mixed, and some are tent only. The website said the RV campgrounds must have hard sides, so a pop-up would not work there. I'm assuming this is an isolated situation and basically everywhere else a pop up is considered an RV. I wanted to be sure before making reservations at other parks/campsites.

11. Tin_man

Tin_man New Member

That is prob a bear issue, especially in Yellowstone.

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Unless things have changed since last summer you should be able to stay at any campground in Yellowstone except Fishing Bridge, which requires hard sides because of bears. Fishing Bridge is also the only campground with utilities.

As for tent vs. RV sites, you will need an RV site. Most of the tent-only sites are walk-in. You will see tents at many of the RV sites, but you won't be able to get your PuP on a tent site.

Your best bet is to call Xanterra, the vendor than runs the campsites and hotels in Yellowstone and talk it over with a reservations agent. They were very helpful when we were planning our trip. I would suggest you see if you can get a back-in site vs. a pull-thru at Canyon Campground. It's in a beautiful part of the park and centrally-located.

Hope you have a good time. Yellowstone is wonderful. [:)C]

13. Tin_man

Tin_man New Member

Dang...I wish I was in Yellowstone right now.

14. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

RV stands for recreational vehicle. A trailer is a vehicle, a tent is not a vehicle.

15. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

But what about a flying carpet?

[8D]

Mausinn likes this.
  16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Classed as a light homebuilt providing the maximum engine size is less then 500 CC's ...

Mausinn likes this.
  17. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

In most reservation systems, there is a choice for either pop up, folding trailer, or travel trailer. You want to be as accurate as you can for the reservations. These place are familiar with different units. There are only a few places where it is hard side required and so on, like YS. If the site is walk in, obviously tent, but other than that, it just depends on length of back in or parking area.

18. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

I don't think I'd call our PUP an RV... well, unless you're referring to 'Rugrat Village'. Then yeah. I wouldn't park it in a tent site, though. Now a flying carpet... if it had all the PUP amenities without the wheels, I think I could put that almost anywhere.

19. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I'll just say this: You will be able to put a PUP on an "RV" site 99.44% of the time. You may get lucky occasionally and be able to put a PUP on a "tent" site every so often with a lot of variables involved. So, you have to play the odds and determine how critical it is for you to be certain your reservation will be okay for your intended camping equipment.

But, this is my experience in Alaska: Public "tent only" sites usually consist of a small gravel parking areas for vehicles without trailers. There is normally a path, about 100' feet long to an area demarked by a fence or boulders and then a series of pads for tents and fire rings. There is simply no place to put an RV. Now, at commercial campgrounds, "Tent" sites can be far ranging from an open grass field, to the same exact sites RVs have, just less the sewer connection and cable TV offering.

20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

A pop-up is definitely an RV. I have not seen many tent sites that a PUP would fit into. When PUPs are open, they are way too long for most tent sites.

The only place I know of that groups PUPs with tents is Fort Wilderness in Disney World. In that case, it's a good thing though, as the tent loops are nicer. PUPs can camp there in any loop they choose, but are the only RV also allowed to camp in a tent loop. Of course all the sites there are huge, so size is a non-issue.