Question on Battery use of fridge when towing

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by jonkquil, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Annunzi

Annunzi Member

I'll take a government website over an rv dealer association chart. Legal or not, I don't think the added risk is worth it. But to each their own.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Guess propane powered vehicles don't sell well in BC, eh? [LOL]

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/rvs/operating-rvs-propane[/QUOTE]

Not a .Gov website. It is run by someone as a hobby.. Much like this site is run by Steve..

Yes to each there own.. But the chart from the RV Dealers Association is more accurate then the non=government link you provided..

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Correct, the batteries were not charging, but they were full and ready to go for dry camping.

On that camper, the breakaway was tied directly to the positive post on the battery and not broken by the disconnect. I assumed it was still active, although I never tested it. ??

Snow likes this.
  5. Annunzi

Annunzi Member

Not a .Gov website. It is run by someone as a hobby.. Much like this site is run by Steve..

Yes to each there own.. But the chart from the RV Dealers Association is more accurate then the non=government link you provided..[/QUOTE]

Okay I'll eat crow on this one, I reached out to the provincial regulator (Technical Safety BC, formerly BC Safety Authority) and they provided the same chart that Grey Fox previously provided. My apologies for stirring the pot and I'll make sure to better check my resources next time.

6. Fless

Fless Active Member

Refreshing.

7. Fless

Fless Active Member

Mind me asking what your "open gas tank" is, or looks like? Do you mean the propane bottle?
    _

8. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Yes that's exactly what I mean. I thought that might sound confusing when I wrote it! (I'm a UK transplant so quite often use the wrong terms)

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

My fridge pulls just under 10 amps, I'm assuming that's pretty normal for 3 way fridges. If everything is connected properly when you shut off the TV it should terminate the power to the 7 blade connector. Assuming you camper battery was fully charged when you leave the TV charging system should have no problem keeping up. If the TV charging system can't handle an additional 10-15 amp load it either has a problem or I'd be looking at upgrading my TV.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Not all 7 way plugs even from the factory are wired to kill the charge line voltage when the ignition is off.. My old GMC the line was "hot" all the time, wired that way from the factory.

Or you need to see if an upgrade alternator is available for the vehicle.. 80% of all factory tow packages (and about 70% of all tow prep packages) come with a higher out put alternator because the dinky stock one is barely enough to run the vehicle when all electrics are turn "on".

Spridle likes this.
  11. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Assuming your alternator and wiring can put out max amperage - when your fridge is pulling 10A continuous and your battery also pulling X amps to charge up - you can overheat the RV plug. Which is how I ended up traveling on propane only.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If the battery is fully charged it should be using very minimal if any amps to maintain it's charge. If you're overheating the plug you are pulling more than 10-15 amps. Install a 15 amp fuse or circuit breaker inline to protect the plug.

13. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I chose to run on propane and know that the battery will be fully topped up by the time I get wherever I'm going or when I get home so I don't have to bother hooking up the charger. Although you are correct, the feed is frequently fused at 30A but the plug is only rated at 15A.