Question on generator

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by scanaego, Sep 11, 2019.

1. scanaego

scanaego New Member

I have just replaced a WFCO 8725 with a new one and got a cheap 1200 watt peak 1000 watt generator to help with charging.
    The question I have is should, can I just plug the Coleman Sante Fe in to generator like shore power to charge batteries and run the lights and most importantly the furnace fan as I’m setting this rig up for moose hunting for the next couple weeks. I will not be running any big ticket items. Maybe charging some light equipment batteries for head lamps, phones that kinda thing. I’m bringing two batteries with me.
    New at this just trying to figure best way to do the as I do not have the cash for a Honda 2000 right now and really don’t want the noise if I don’t have too. I am also bringing a 150 watt solar panel to also assist.
    I’d really appreciate some help with this.
    Thanks in advance

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Buy a good battery charger and charge the battery with the generator and it. It will be faster than using the charging circuit in the converter.

I have a 20amp smart charger that I take with me when I use my gen to charge my battery.

And just for reference the 12v charge off of Honda generators is quite slow. I have an EU3000IS. I still use the smart charger, even though I have the cables to charge directly from the generator.

3. scanaego

scanaego New Member

Ok thanks for the reply
    This brings up another question?
    Do I have to unhook the camper from the battery cause it’s hooked up to the converter to use a battery charger. I have a good 25amp battery charger to use. Oh and I have a charge controller on board as I have a 150 watt solar panel as well.
    Total electric noob here

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Leave the camper battery hooked while charging. With your solar setup and a decent amount of sunlite, I doubt that you will even need the genny

bols2Dawall and Spridle like this.
  5. scanaego

scanaego New Member

Sry if I wasn’t clear but if I leave camper hooked up while charging battery with a battery charger via generator, will it hurt the converter.
    I’m hoping that I do not need the generator as I will be moose hunting. I live in the north and it’s cold already, freezing temps at nite so I’m expecting to use a lot of battery power. And it usually is quite overcast in fall here so I’m counting on great sun power.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

If your concerned about damaging the converter, pull the battery fuse in the converter while you charge.

7. scanaego

scanaego New Member

Right, or the in line battery fuse.
    Thanks for the help.
    I was hoping someone would say it won’t harm the converter I guess . As I really didn’t want to lose power.
    Thanks

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I’m not sure if it would or not. I always pull a fuse for safety.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Given that we don't have the same converter I can't say for sure what yours will do. But I have plugged the trailer into the genny and plugged my smart charger into the trailer, plus running my 100 watt solar system as well, with no damage to my converter when I wanted a fast charge.