Question on installing radio in pop up

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by CNC0129, Sep 6, 2013.

1. CNC0129

CNC0129 Member

I am looking to install a cd player into my 1980 jayco pop up. I know that i can run it off of 120 volts from when you plug it into electric at the campground. What would you guys suggest be the best option to put this radio into my camper and work when i plug it into electricity at the campground? Let me know what you all think would be the best way to do this.

Thanks
    Ben

2. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I am assuming you meant 12 volt?

I have heard of older converters outputting 12 volts that are unfiltered, which will burn up the radio. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

3. CNC0129

CNC0129 Member

Yes i meant 12 volts. Will i burn up the radio if i wire it into the wiring harness of the camper so that it has power when i plug the camper into the electric at the campground?

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You'll blow it up!!! car radios are 12 volts, so you either need to connect it to the 12 volt side of your converter or connect it a battery .. Lots of threads on here about installing them ..

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Run a 12v circuit from the 12v side of your power center. You will have radio power as long as you are plugged into shore power or if not, have a charged battery installed on your trailer.

6. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

^^This^^

I have a radio in mine (factory installed) and that is exactly what they did.

7. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Please understand RV electrical consists of two distinct systems:
    - 110VAC "shore power" - what you plug into at the campground. This powers the normal household outlets inside the trailer
    - 12VDC to operate lights, water pump, furnace fan, etc Popups have a device called the converter that converts the 110VAC to 12VDC. Some trailers have a battery to provide 12VDC if camping without electrical hook-up.

Car stereos run off of 12VDC power.

Assuming your trailer has a converter, you want to power the stereo from the 12VDC output of the converter. But be advised, as KMH mentioned, old converters were very poorly regulated and this could affect operation of the stereo unit. Some big filter caps might help.

8. CNC0129

CNC0129 Member

Well i don't believe my pup has a converter in it. I only have 2-15 amp breakers and thats it. I don't have a heater and my fridge is just an ice box. What would you guys recommend i install so that i can get my extra car stereo i have sitting around installed in the camper so i can have some tunes playing when out camping?

9. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Does your popup have lights inside? Those are typically 12VDC.

If indeed, your trailer has no 12VDC, then just use an AC powered stereo, boombox, or iPod dock.

Or, check out the active thread where someone is using a computer power supply for their 12V power.