Question on lift system

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by J3216, Aug 12, 2019.

1. J3216

J3216 New Member

Hello all. Love pop ups, grew up camping in them, will forever be a pop up guy haha. So, went to look at a 2008 Viking legend 2275SC this weekend for sale, $8500 obo. It has some normal wear and tear(not quite excellent condition as described, but still decent shape) and knowing from past campers, crawled under it to look at condition of the floor. Excellent shape to my surprise with the exception of it being a little soft at RF(passenger side), right under a storage area. Watched him raise it up, noticed LF corner(drivers side) came up 1st a few inches before the rest of the roof came up. Didn't seem too bad, just noticeable. Asked how flexible he was on the price and he immediately went to $7000. Now we're talking! lol But now that I've had a day to think, here's my question: According to my research it has a goshen lift system. Does anyone know from experience if this 2008 Viking legend 2275SC lift system is supported by steel frame or wood floor? I can repair/replace steel. I could live with a soft floor in the corner of a storage area. Obviously I need a second look to be sure but they're 2 hrs away, thought I'd inquire here 1st. Thank you in advance for your time.

Jay

2. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I cant answer your specific question about the lift system. But knowing nothing else about that particular popup and what it came with, that sounds really expensive to me especially if its in less than perfect condition.

J3216 likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with lksdrinker. Sounds overpriced for what it is. I could find a 10 year old high wall with a slide out and shoilet for that kind of money around here. Where are you located and how long have you been shopping?

J3216 likes this.
  4. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Thats the toy hauler one and they bring a good buck. I don't think 7k is out of line. I see them for 8 and 8500 asking price on craigslist.

J3216 likes this.
  5. J3216

J3216 New Member

Yes, its a toy hauler pop up. I'm just outside Kansas city, on the kansas side. And I agree, it seems pretty high on the price. I am looking for a pop up with a cargo deck with at least queen sized bunks(this is king & queen), a/c is mandatory but without shower/toilet and slideout(unless the price is right of course, but the tandem axle pop ups w cargo deck is too wide to fit through the gates to my back yard, so even small toy hauler or 7ft wide enclosed is not an option). I've been looking for a few years now and have only seen two(one without a/c) in the size I'm looking for. I do believe I can talk him down to $6k but now I know I need to give it a second look to be sure of what I'd be getting. What do you guys think a fair price would be? It's on craigslist kc in the toy hauler section. Took a chance when I went to see it but he turned to be an ok young man. There has been only one other pop up toy hauler, a very nice palomino but with no a/c. I've built a stand and adapted a window unit to my last pop up, really want that rooftop unit though.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Didnt realize what kind of $$$ something like that might go for. If it means anything to you, NADA lists $5k as low retail and $6,050 as average retail. None of this answers your original question about that lift system though unfortunately. That could be all the difference between a "good deal" and "oh crap what did I get myself into".

7. J3216

J3216 New Member

From what I've researched on the interwebs, forest river acquired the viking line from coachmen in 2009 and supposedly the quality started to go downhill from there? These particular pop up toy haulers seem to be unicorns in terms of finding one, and they seem to hold their value. My NADA search, with the options it has, showed average value at $7k. I could be wrong, please chime in if you've heard otherwise. I couldn't believe I found one somewhat nearby. Again, thank you everyone that has replied, appreciate your opinion.

8. J3216

J3216 New Member

Went out again to thoroughly look it over, lift system is functioning properly other than a little drag on one corner from what appears to be lack of lube. But found an even bigger problem-floor rot along the edges. Seal-wise, roof looks absolutely excellent(stored indoors), no apparent water intrusion from the top or sides...it seems the seal(or lack thereof)for where the sides meet the floor is allowing water to collect between wood floor and metal frame. There is a soft rubber like flashing that has no sealant and it looks like it was built that way. Only fix i can think of besides caulking would be sealant tape; if tape failed, boy would that be a mess to clean up. So even if I beat him down on the price I'd still be buying something to fix with little confidence. If I had space in my shop I'd still consider it but it will be stored outside. Decisions decisions....

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

There's just no way I would buy something with water damage or wood rot (knowingly anyway)... I (personally) want a camper - not a restoration project.

J3216 likes this.
  10. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon New Member

I've got the 2014 Forest River toyhauler ver. - they do maintain their value and are extremely hard to find. The wife and I had been looking for almost 2yrs, and the closet one we found in DULUTH MN over 500 miles away.... we bought.
    For only being "5" years old its got some wear/tear issues I was aware of that I've pretty much got all fixed. From the dealership "out the door" - $10200.00
    loaded.jpg loaded.jpg

J3216 likes this.