Question to block out heat

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by KatieSunV, Apr 22, 2019.

1. KatieSunV

KatieSunV New Member

Hello all!
    New question, I've been hearing great things about the "gizmo" lining, but curious about these DIY reflective blankets. I'm in Texas so was curious if anyone had great ideas if I could just buy a reflective tarp to sheild out alot of the suns heat or if it is worth it to pay for said "gizmo" reflective tarp.

2. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Don't have a Gizmo so I can't comment on how effective they are (though I'm sure they are). I took some left over attic aluminized Mylar that I had on hand. It is like super heavy aluminum foil with some reinforcement woven in. I used aluminum tape to make it the size I needed and made covers for my king and queen bunks as well a the dinette pop out. I got several benefits - 1) makes a huge difference in temps in the summer (no a/c), 2) keep it darker in the morning so I can sleep in a little, 3) keeps the canvas clean/dry. The Gizmos are stronger than my DIY covers and have built in tie downs. I just use spring clamps all around the edges with self stick Velcro up under the roof lip.

KatieSunV likes this.
  3. Jonson01

Jonson01 Member

I bought "emergency" blankets from Walmart that are orange on one side and reflective on the other. They have loops in them already so my thinking is to use those to help hold it down. I haven't been out yet this year to try them but hopefully they work well.

KatieSunV likes this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I use Gizmos with Reflectix in all of the window. In combination,they GREATLY reduce heat inside of the pup.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    KatieSunV likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I used a reflective tarp for a couple of years until I managed to save up for the gizmos. My reflective tarp did manage to help. I tried to hold it on with bungie cords alone but found the tarp slipped down the bunk so I was always trying to adjust it. I probably should have Velcroed it to the roof or something. I have gizmos now, and I love them. Even better, I’m able to keep them on the camper when I fold it up so less setup. The tarp was just too bulky to fold inside.

KatieSunV likes this.
  6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have the Gizmos and when we camp in areas where the sun will hit the pup they really do help. We have the high wind model. They hold securely! They also help keep the bunk vinyl clean from bird droppings and sap from the trees!

KatieSunV likes this.
  7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

The places that I camp is not as bad as TEXAS and other Western States heat wise.

I get along just fine with TARPS that are reflective on one side...

I use a full 9X12 Cheap Tarps from WALMART or TRUE VALUE stores near me here. The tarp lays in the built-in rain gutter on each bunk bed end of my trailer and I hold it in place with stretch rope. Then I use the tarp over both bunk bed ends and tie off to the trailer frame using more stretch ropes. It does pretty good keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Also cuts down on being very bright inside the trailer... It also allows me to open the inside flaps on the bunk bed sides and not worry about rain getting in... Then my fantastic roof fan can pull in cool air all the time... A cheap $6 to $8 tarp lasts a couple of seasons... Probably not the prettiest thing in the world but works for me...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

My 2008 POPUP roof still looks like brand new hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

KatieSunV and Jonson01 like this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We had Popup Gizmos on both of our popups, and I would not camp in a popup without them. The high wind version on our first popup was good, but in the places we camp, every type of clip we tried at the edges popped off at one time or another. We ordered the Super High Wind version for the second popup, which has shock cords in webbing casings at intervals. I saw them taut as a balloon a few times, but they stayed in place. We had the Velcro added so they stayed in place at the roof line on our 2nd pup; the roof line at the bunk end vinyl on the first pup was so tight it stayed in place without Velcro.
    I once added up what the materials to make a set of PUGs would cost - fabric, shock cord & clips, webbing for the casings, etc. I was happy to order from PUGs.
    When we bought the second pup and had not yet received the PUGs, I had a chance to compare the pups with and without them, side by side in the driveway. The PUGs made a huge difference.

KatieSunV and PopUpSteve like this.
  9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I camp in TX. The pugs are well worth it, along with reflectix for the windows. I have been in full sun during the summer with no shade, and pugs with reflectix allowed the A/C to keep the interior nice and comfortable. I have a larger pup with a dinette and dual king beds, so I have the inserts in all the windows except the side ones on the dinette and the main window under the awning. Definitely get the SHW version with the bungie cords. The clips are a joke in the wind. I also had them add Velcro to the top, and then I added a strip on the inside of the roof, which makes it so much easier to install and stay in place. They also help protect the roof canvas for each bunk as well from droppings and sap. I have had mine for 4 years, but I am looking at getting a new set with some extra material on the end. The design of my roof didn't allow me to put the Velcro closer to the weather stripping like most other pups, so mine has started to separate at the top from being under strain too much.

Highly recommended for TX.

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The best and only true solution for camping in any type of trailer with tenting when exterior temps are extreme. Use just one or the other and the result won't be anywhere near as effective as using both PUGs over the tops of the tenting and DIY Reflectix inserts zipped into the bunk end windows.