Questions about buying my first pop up

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by jk70, Sep 3, 2014.

1. jk70

jk70 Member

• I am in the market for a pop up. Never had any type of RV before so i am new to this. I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey 3.5 Liter 244 Horsepower. I feel that should suffice for a TV and I won't buy a different vehicle just so I can buy a pop up. Anyway, my questions:
      • My odyssey doesn't currently have tow capabilities. Should I get that installed at a Honda dealer or someplace else. I know the dealer will be more expensive but wondering if they would know exactly what needed to be installed. Do RV dealers install these things?
      • Max towing is 3500 lbs for the odyssey. If the Pop Up I am looking at says 2,350 gross vehicle weight I assume that means I am fine
      • I see options for pop ups that A/C wiring kit. Would a dealer also install the actual A/C?

2. pckeen

pckeen New Member

You should be fine towing that pop up.

With the towing package, it's up to you where you get it installed: go to who you trust. Be aware though that lots of pop ups have 7 pin connectors, with electric brakes. You'll want to get a towing package that can handle 3500 lbs, with the 7 pin connection and electric brake controller. Mechanics may assume you want the 4 pin controller, so make sure you check.

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Tapatalk

3. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels New Member

You can buy direct fit hitches from auto parts stores or online and they are easy to install. I do all of my automotive work, so I would do it myself.

4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

^^^what pckeen said^^^

I had the dealer installed. Honda towing package includes a super sized transmission cooler (in addition to the class III hitch) that is larger than what you can find at eTrader.com. Besides, they know where to trim the bumper to fit it. They have done this many times. Do ask for the 7 pin connector. Normally it comes with the 4-pin for towing the utility trailers.
    Yes, you are fine.
    That would be dealer's job if you already have the AC mounting support at the ceiling. I would buy the AC online such as PPLmotorhomes.com http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/ for less and take it to the dealer. They have a set price for installation.

5. jk70

jk70 Member

Thanks for the replies.

With respect to the Max Towing 3,500 lbs. Does that mean the max GVWR I see on the specs of pop-ups can't go over 3,500?

And if that's right, should i want to stay somewhat under the 3,500?

6. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Correct
    As much under as possible because you will want to add more camping stuff later.

7. mrclortho

mrclortho New Member

Yes. You are limited by the strength of the axle and probably more so by the capacity of the tires. Take a look at the tires and there is a maximum load rating per tire at pressure. Make sure the tires are inflated to that pressure and double that number to get your overall weight capacity. On my pup, that is just over 3,400lbs.

8. dbbyleo

dbbyleo Member

Honda states 3500 is the max tow capacity (when properly equipped). This like means Odyssey's that was shipped with the tow package, which might mean (at the very least) the inclusion of a tranny fluid cooler.

As for GVWR... there also GCWR and GAWR. Make sure you understand what these mean (and implication to safety) and what they are for both your TV and pup. Do your due diligence in understanding these limitation ... safety first, right ... and there's nothing worse than travelling on vacation and having second thoughts in the back of your mind. All it takes is that one time you get cross wind to really bring forth any second thoughts. So know for sure the capacity limitations and know that you have more than enough margins as you travel.

You will want to know the limits of your TV so you know the range of pups to consider. For example, heavier highwall model will probably be out of your range due capacity limitation you will have with the Odyssey. Nothing would be worse than to buy into a pup and later realize it's actually too heavy for your TV and be left with the option to buy a new TV or risk safety on the road.

Keep us posted when you start zeroing on a specific model.

9. pcgeekess

pcgeekess New Member

I had the camper dealer put in the electrical and sway bar option. The jeep dealer kept telling me that jeeps couldn't tow 12000 lbs and I didn't need a connection for brakes. I said I was going to tow 2000 lbs and the camper has brakes. Mopar doesn't make that, it would be 3rd party and it might take 2 hours or more. The camper dealer was less expensive and I had more confidence in them doing this all the time.

I love the brakes (previous pup didn't have them). Love the sway bar even more!