Questions about Hot water tank and Water Pump

jobenoit

May 23, 2012
Still trying to familiarize ourselves with our N2U 2001 Coleman Westlake and I'm still confused about a few things in regards to the hot water tank and electric water pump. I've got the owners manual and I've been reading it over and over but I'm new to this and don't want to cause damage to the water system.

We have yet to use the hot water tank so I'm wondering...how do I fill it with water??? Does it fill at the same time as when we're filing the "regular" water tank? Or is there a separate outlet that I should be using when filling?

In regards to the electric water pump I've been turning it on only when I open the faucet and then when I turn the pump off when I close the faucet. Can I leave it turned on all the time (even if I'm not using the shower or faucets) or should I keep doing what I'm doing?

Thanks in advance!

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
jobenoit said:
We have yet to use the hot water tank so I'm wondering...how do I fill it with water??? Does it fill at the same time as when we're filing the "regular" water tank? Or is there a separate outlet that I should be using when filling?

The HW tank will fill when you either hook up to city water or have water in your water tank and turn on the pump. This is provided you have the WH bypass valves (if equipped) closed (not bypassing).

jobenoit said:
In regards to the electric water pump I've been turning it on only when I open the faucet and then when I turn the pump off when I close the faucet. Can I leave it turned on all the time (even if I'm not using the shower or faucets) or should I keep doing what I'm doing?

This is what we did with the pup and still do with the TT.. Leaving the pump on is only asking for troubles, if a water line after the pump fails the pump will run and pump the contents of your water tank into the pup flooding it..

Alecs

May 11, 2009
Help! I don't know how to use this site. I'm sitting in the dark in a 1997 Camplite 2206 popup I just bought and I don't know how to find the power converter box so I can turn on the lights. I plugged the long black cord into the plug and I have air conditioning, but no interior lights or refrigerator. I downloaded the manual, (the receptacles work so I can use my computer) but it has no pictures and doesn't tell you where the converter is. How do I ask someone on this site if they know?

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
Questions about Hot water tank and Water Pump

Open the bench where you store the cord. Chances are quite good that you'll find the converter at the end of it.

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

jobenoit

May 23, 2012
Snow said:
The HW tank will fill when you either hook up to city water or have water in your water tank and turn on the pump. This is provided you have the WH bypass valves (if equipped) closed (not bypassing).

Where would we look to see if there are bypass valves?

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
jobenoit said:
Where would we look to see if there are bypass valves?

If it has them the valves will be right near the HW tank, can be one of several designs. Could be just a single (tee) valve on the water in "in" line or could be a series of three valves (Tee on the in line, tee on the out line with a single valve on the line between the two mentioned tee valves..

Two valve bypass
2009-01-31_135007_heater-by-pass-2_valve.jpg

Another two valve set up, can also be used to illustrate the one valve if you place a TEE on the cold water in line.
2428878370044791067S425x425Q85.jpg

3 Valve set up..
IMG_10861.jpg

Not all water heaters come from the factory with them so if you don't see any valves don't worry ( you may want to add a bypass kit when it comes time to winterize the water system) ..

Nanapoppypops

Mar 30, 2019
Lake Placid, NY
The HW tank will fill when you either hook up to city water or have water in your water tank and turn on the pump. This is provided you have the WH bypass valves (if equipped) closed (not bypassing). I haven't even seen my water heater tank. It is enclosed in a wooden box. We will be camping this weekend at a full service site and I would like to hook up to city water. I have a wTer pressure gauge and know I have to turn it on slowly. I will not be turning on my water pump as I have read that you do not need to. Since I do not know if my hot water tank is bypassed, will it be okay to try the faucets anyway after hooking up, or do I need to have water in the hot water tank first in order to do this? If I have to have water in this tank, does it automatically stop filling when it's full? Do I leave the city water on and running all the time? We usually go on 4 day trips. This is the last thing I need to learn about and I don't want any floods. Any help is appreciated

This is what we did with the pup and still do with the TT.. Leaving the pump on is only asking for troubles, if a water line after the pump fails the pump will run and pump the contents of your water tank into the pup flooding it..