Questions about the water system

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by cabindream, Apr 11, 2019.

1. cabindream

cabindream New Member

Hello all - just getting started with my new to me 2000 Aliner and I’ve got lots of questions. I’ll start with a few about the water system and go from there.

1. Not sure the model number so hoping someone can help me figure that out from the photo below.

2. My faucet is broken. Any suggestions on a replacement? (See question 3) if I add hot water I need a faucet that can handle hot & cold.

3. Have any of you added tankless water heaters? If so what kinds?

4. I need to replace the water pump. It’s completely MIA. Suggestions on best pump and where to put it?

5. I’ve not done a through search but trying to find where the sink water drains to.

Many thanks and please bear with me as I ask a lot of questions so I can get her up and running and nicely restored!

Beth

AD75AB1F-7181-4340-807B-7498C28E6AA7.jpeg 82A48D1F-63B0-4A82-AE3E-407F5FB89304.jpeg

Rik Peery likes this.
  2. slcCamper

slcCamper New Member

Not sure of the model but it doesn't matter too much. As the plumbing and wiring change all the time.

For pump I would go for a Shurflo. Normally located near the water tank. For faucet just find one you like, make sure it it is low enough or folds to put the sides down. The drain just goes out the bottom, there in no grey take on these. You have to carry your own catch container, hook up with a small hose/tube. Is your sink not hooked up to a drain now?

Haven't tried a tankless heater.

3. cabindream

cabindream New Member

Hi slcCamper Thanks for your reply and the info. If I'm boon docking, I will obviously be porting water in something external as I dont have onboard tanks. So to conserve water, is there a specific flow I should be looking for? Otherwise at a campground, the pressure in their system should be enough that I don't need pump if I'm thinking about this correctly. I'm having a hard time finding a good and affordable fold down faucet and going back and forth about if I want the hot water. Sure would be nice to have my own outside shower. I dont know if the sink is hooked up. The faucet is broken, so I've not connected it to water yet. So many options - I go back and forth on it all!

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I no nothing about a liners, but if hooked up to the water at a campsight, you need a pressure reducer on the water hose.

Rik Peery and cabindream like this.
  5. slcCamper

slcCamper New Member

The water system is pretty basic in the ALiner especially if you don't have the hot water heater. It pretty much goes water tank out to pump, then after pump you have shore water then it heads to sink and shower. Most pumps have a valve to stop the shore water from going back into the tank.

Did your trailer not have the clean water tank?

You can also just get a short faucet real cheap. Dura Faucet on amazon for 12 bucks.

A water pressure regulator is a good idea to have. There is a lot of plastic in the plumbing. I don't plug into shore water. Get a small hose or just use a milk jug to fill up your tank. I mostly boon dock too.

cabindream likes this.
  6. ashtonc77

ashtonc77 New Member

I just redid the water system in my pop up where my faucet was broken as well. I bought a new water tank and water pump from class a customs- by far the best price on water tanks. I got the Flojet 12v pump and it seems to work well. I also installed a bosch 4 gallon water heater from home depot and bought a standard bathroom faucet from HD as well. The water heater must be connected to AC power. It takes about 20-30 minutes to heat up and if you turn off the generator, it will remain hot/warm for the next 4+ hours which surprised me but is nice. I connected everything with Pex hose and got all the fittings I needed from Home Depot as well and it's worked great. You are able to customize it however you want this way. There are lots of good diagrams online with how to plumb the camper.

cabindream likes this.
  7. cabindream

cabindream New Member

Great call on the pex. I need to redo all my lines so I will use pex too and then I shouldnt have to worry about the reducer mentioned above. Did you connect the water heater to the electric plugs in the camper or directly to shore power? I am concerned about over loading the 30amps.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  8. ashtonc77

ashtonc77 New Member

The charger in my pop up had an electric box for an AC (which I don't have) so I just used that cable to add another outlet to plug my water heater into. I think it's on a separate 15 or 20 amp breaker on it's own. The water heater draws 12 amps, so unless you have an AC unit, you will most likely just be running your lights and water pump off of the breaker which is way less then the rated amps. If you have AC and you worry about popping the breaker, just don't run the water heater and AC at the same time, or try running them at the same time and see if it pops the breaker. The water heater has a heat control on the front that you can just turn off so it doesn't turn on.

Sjm9911 and cabindream like this.
  9. mark30

mark30 New Member

cabindream likes this.
  10. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Since CabinDream did not mention adding a freshwater tank, I want to make sure they understand they do not need a water pump unless they decide to add an onboard tank. If they want to add a fresh water tank then they need to add a water pump.

From the description, the water system in that aliner is currently setup only to work when outside water pressure is supplied via a hose/spigot.

Grey water should go straight down through the floor and out to a connection for a external grey tank.

They mentioned that they have not connected freshwater yet, unless there are disconnected water lines, I'd connect it, turn it on for a second, with the help of another person, so you can find out what is going on - and yell to turn if off if water goes everywhere. ;)

I had an A-liner with an onboard tank. If I had removed the tanks and pump, it would have worked as described above. Some Aliners were sold that way.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  11. nhlakes

CabinDream, Can't tell from the pic if that is a battery tray on the tongue. Is it just not visible or is there a battery mounted elsewhere? Also, you have an air conditioner, so you must have a shore power connection. Is it a 30 amp connection going into a converter/charger? Or just a straight 3 prong household extension cord connection (have seen those too).

BTW, lots of Aliner folks on here, so someone may pop in and tell you exactly what model/year/systems that Aliner came with. ;)

cabindream likes this.
  12. cabindream

cabindream New Member

Thanks! I don’t have any batteries yet. That’s the next round ;) I do have an inverter and the A/C is plugged into camper which is in turn plugged into shore power. Thanks for your help! Much to learn!

13. cabindream

cabindream New Member

Thanks all. I’ve leaned much in just a few days. For my faucet I’m going to go with this https://m.tomtop.com/p-h20196.html

And for a water heater, I’ll eventually go with this. At least I’ll be able to take a shower at my site if I want instead of using the campground showers which are sometimes pretty funky! I like this idea! No added winterizing issues but I can still have a shower if I’m hooked up to shore water!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eccotemp-L5-Portable-Outdoor-Tankless-Water-Heater/49317402

I probably am not going to worry about a pump for now. I think I’ll mostly be at camp grounds to start with and doubt if I’m boon docking I’ll be porting enough water to make a pump necessary. A 5 gallon water jug w/ spout sitting on the counter will be fine!

Thanks again and more questions to come!

14. Sjm9911

Now that you have the shower and water covered, you need to think about a grey water tank( if you dont allready have one). Campgrounds dont like water going into the dirt.

15. cabindream

cabindream New Member

I was planning on trying to figure out how to run a hose to the sewer hook ups kind a like I used to do with my 40’ big rig...

16. Sjm9911

Yup. I do that also. There is a donut for the sewer for a garden hose. Of if going bigger you can make something. It disent need to be as big as the other ones, no black tank waste to get rid of.

cabindream likes this.
  17. nhlakes

Relying on full-hookups for a very small amount of gray water will limit your site selection and cost more. I'd consider going with a portable gray tank. Here's what I did on my Aliner.
    [​IMG]

cabindream likes this.