Questions about using OVERDRIVE when towing

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Storm Trooper, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

READ your tow vehicles manual first.
    If the TV was meant to tow anything, there will be a section there describing towing.
    Even within the same brand of vehicle, there are different recommendations depending on the TV(PU, SUV, CUV).
    Some will tell you to tow with the OD on, some will tell you tow with it off.
    Some will also tell you to put it in tow / haul mode then either turn the OD on or turn it off.

Do what the manual says!!!!!
    You may need to add a transmission / oil / and or power steering cooler for towing, but that is a different question.
    When in doubt, follow the manual.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Excellent advice...read the manual!

..or tow with one of these not worry about gear hunting and cooking the ATX.

[​IMG]

I tow in OD all the time [:D]

3. Srt4inliny

Srt4inliny "It ain't campin if ya can't hear nature"

I tow in OD all the time as well. My truck however has a "towing power" switch. it causes the ATX to change gears a little later in the power curve so as not to "hunt" for a gear. that helps alot.

One word of advice for the novice. Do not use any form of cruise control at all when you tow. CC will not know if you are towing a trailer and will not care. it will constantly search for a gear even on the slightest hill. Even the new Acuras with intellegent cruise control will have an issue. Just my [2C]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.