questions, solutions for simple everyday

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Kristie73, May 20, 2013.

1. Kristie73

Kristie73 New Member

I am new to pop up camping so I have a few silly questions? Do you have a mirror in your camper? I'd like to get some kind of little mirror for inside near the the sink? I just keep thinking of those magnetic locker mirrors. I don't have that vanity paper towel holder that hangs from the ceiling and don't know that I want to have all of that.

But I am also thinking about where the paper towels go? I keep thinking of the narrow cabinet below the stove (has pipes there), but seems to be room for a vertical over the door paper towel holder or something.

I looked through pinterest for ideas, but I thought I would ask here, what you all have done (purchased) for a mirror and the paper towels. I know silly question for camping.

2. jdy2

jdy2 Member

We bought an expanding arm mirror at Ikea and attached it to a hanging pantry we have. Well, that expanding swing arm sure does ... and broke the first time we moved the camper. So, I don't recommend that route.

I've seen people use a vertical tension rod shower organizer and run the bottom of that through the paper towel, that way you get some extra shelf space above the paper towels.

3. dg

dg New Member

We have a mirror on the inside of the door in our '88 palomino hardside. It's not a glass mirro, but a really reflective mirror type of plastic that is built into the door. It folds down to reveal a dry erase board. We still haven't worked out the paper towel location yet. DW bought one of those fold up plastic holders, but we haven't decided where to mount it. There always seems to be other things more important to do with our 25 yo ntu pup.

4. Keithsbabe

Keithsbabe New Member

I bought a vertical metal paper towel holder. It stores behind the "bathroom" area in our pup. Once set up, it lives next to the stove or on the dinette table. We always camp at campgrounds with bathrooms, so we don't have a mirror. But it's probably a good idea for us to get one...

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

6. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

I don't think the 'baby monitor mirror' will help you out much.

I assume you want a larger mirror in the camper to fix your hair, clothes, etc.

We picked up a mirror from Target - it's about 12" square. I think it was only about $8 - and they come in a number of different colored frames.

We don't leave it in the PUP, but bring it along on each trip. We attached some velcro 'cord managers' or loops to the mirror's hanger and then attach it over the sink. Works great.

WL

7. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

I've never had a mirror in my camper.. just too scary to see myself a lot of mornings..

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

[LOL] [LOL] Now you can't look no worse than the rest of us in the mornings.

I carry a small mirror that flips and the other side is magnified. I pack it in with our clothes so it doesn't get broken. I keep it in the hanging cloth selves over the inside shower. As for the paper towels, I run a string thru the tube and hang it from my wire shelves, over the sink. I seen people put their paper towels over the galley leg after they set it up. :)

Campit

9. Kristie73

Kristie73 New Member

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

11. bropaul

bropaul New Member

I purchased a 'locker mirror' that is non breakable, attached a couple horizontal strips of self stick Velcro (hook side) on the back and the corresponding loop side on the canvas flap that covers the emergency exit zipper. (This is the side zipper between the bunk end and main canvas.) Hang it when we set up and store it in a drawer when we break down.

We have a table top (vertical) paper towel holder that sits on the dinette or the counter by the door. I have seen where people used the standard plastic clip style holder and Velcro it to a cabinet or the ceiling. We like the portable one so we can take it outside to a table if needed.

Diane

12. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Our pup came with a unit that sings down from the roof to hang in front of the sink. It has a mirror, small shelf, and a paper towel holder. I fashioned some hoos so we can hang cups from it. We also have a small hand mirror.

The tech way for the mirror is to use a smart phone, tablet, or laptop with a front facing camera. I saw a young woman doing her makeup on my commuter train one day using the camera to show herself on the screen. I almost fell out of my seat! :)

13. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

That sounds cool! Do you have a pic of that? I'd love to have a look at that! :)

Campit

14. JustB_rad

JustB_rad New Member

I mounted a paper towel holder to the shelves I put up. Couple pieces of plastic or large washers work to pin the shelf between the washer and the paper towel holder.
    [​IMG]

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Our previous pup had a mirror as part of the door panel. It was OK, but the lighting and placement were not great for close-up detail. We just carry a small 2-sided mirror in one of our cubies and bring it out as needed.
    So far, the best thing for the paper towels has been to place the standing holder on the new-for-this-year shelf. It still needs two hands - one to pull the toweling, one to hold the roll to tear it off. Our pups have been small, so no space for large shelf mods, etc.
    [​IMG]
    new shelf by kitphantom, on Flickr

16. robynbanks

robynbanks New Member

I took a standared small mirror and used double sided tape and mounted it on the inside of the door, works prefect.

17. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

We did the sticky tape/lightweight plastic mirror thing. I actually stuck ours on the backside of the door....but some mornings it's scary to catch myself there [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

For the paper towels, we don't cook inside our pup, nor do we use the sink except for occasional handwashing. So our paper towels are hung up oustide- we run a piece of lightweight rope through the tube and tie it to something handy at the campsite. Usually near the stove/picnic table....often it's tied to the EZ Up, or a handy tree branch. We just make a circle with the rope so the towels can turn and you can pull off one piece at time without using two hands. I would think you could do the same thing inside the camper- just tie the rope to something handy on the ceiling?

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Someone on here made a towel holder using a dowel between the snap straps which hold the (Coleman, maybe others) door when the camper is folded. Looked good, but the placement in ours would hit me on the head, much less DH.

19. 2jazzy

2jazzy New Member

We attached an inexpensive plastic holder to our flip down door under the counter. Works great![​IMG]

20. 2jazzy

2jazzy New Member

Having trouble with the pic