quick winterizing question

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by craig heaton, Sep 7, 2021.

1. craig heaton

craig heaton Member

Hello. After doing a bit of reading, I've decided the simplest way to winterize our new popup will be to just add some antifreeze to the fresh water tank and let the pump draw it through the lines and out the faucets (indoor shower, outdoor shower and sink). I never did use the water heater, so that should be no problem, but I will open the drain just to be sure.

Now my question, after doing this, do you leave the residual anti-freeze in the tank or open the tank drain?

As a side note, my wife and I have a winter camping trip scheduled down south in December, so we'll be flushing the tank and lines upon arrival and re-winterizing after camping for a week (hence the desire for quick yet effective method).

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

There is no reason to leave the residual antifreeze in the tank. It wont hurt anything if you do, though.p

Be aware that unless you bypass the water heater, that it will take 6+ gallons of antifreeze to winterize.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I always left it in the tank. Then I could rewinterize after my wife decided to go camping late November. Definitely install a water heater bypass so you use less antifreeze. Just drain the water heater.

I always found that I had trouble getting the antifreeze taste out unless I did a full blown sanitation of the system. Plan on that regardless as it is good practice.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

It is not very hard to add a winterizing port to the pump inlet. Connect a hose from it to a gallon jug of antifreeze and just turn the pump on. You will use much less antifreeze and will not have to worrying about flushing the tank many times. Bypass the water heater either with a kit or just disconnect the lines from the heater and connect them together. Another good part of using a winterizing port is it just as easy to use for flushing the antifreeze out as it was to put it in.

Sjm9911, xxxapache and kcsa75 like this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This is what we have on our travel trailer. I can winterize our TT in 10-15 minutes using less than two gallons of anti-freeze.
    https://www.campingworld.com/pump-converter-winterizer-kit-6279.html?utm_source=google

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I use about 5 quarts to do our hybrid.

Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree the easiest is to add what I call water tank bypass. It essentially is a hose you can connect directly to the water pump inlet so the other part of the hose goes directly into the antifreeze jug. It came as a kit at one time but I’m having trouble finding the kit I bought. I only use one jug of antifreeze vrs 3 or more and flushing the system is easier if you use this method as well. You do have to make sure you have a water heater bypass installed already or add one yourself.
    If your going to dewinterize and rewinterize while down there you will need to bring the jugs of antifreeze including the water sanitizer down with you. Be prepared if your dewinterizing your gray water jug will fill up fast, multiple trips to the dump station may be needed.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

You may have to use 3 or 4 gallons to cover the intake port on the tank. Once winterized, drain tank back into the anti-freeze jug.
    I use a small California Air Tool compressor to blow my water lines and pump out. I can do it on the campsite before heading back north. No trips to the dump station.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just watch with the air, someone here always swore by that also, and did it for years with no problems. Then one year the pump cracked. So, if you are in a colder area, antifreeze is the way to go.

theseus and Raycfe like this.