Raccoon Creek State Park (near Pittsburgh)

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trudger, Aug 2, 2014.

1. trudger

trudger Trudging the road of happy destiny.

Raccoon Creek State Park
    3000 Route 18
    Hookstown, PA 15050
    (located about one hour from Pittsburgh / by the PIT Airport)

REVIEW:

Made a last minute reservation for a holiday weekend and landed at site E-12. Overall, the E-Loop was nice (we marked E-6 and E-30 as our favorites). All the sites are relatively close to the bathroom, and the noise was minimal. I liked the side of the street we were on since there were woods behind us, giving us some privacy. The sites can be small - our was ok - but much of it was unusable due to uneven ground.

It is true there are some planes landing at the nearby airport, but we hardly noticed them.

The campground is convenient to the beach and boat rental - about a 10 minute drive. Kayak/boat/aquabike rentals were reasonable and first come first served. Plenty to do in the area - lots of history, hiking, and geocaching!

The staff was ok...not the most friendly crew, but got the job done. The campground does not sell firewood...you must go to the boat rental house to get $5.00 nasty wood. The second day we went out to Route 30 and found a place (Red Roof House) that sold us a wheelbarrow full for $10 - burned very well!

Overall, it was a good camping trip...we will have more selection on a non-holiday weekend, but even in the crowded park, we didn't feel crowded. Lots of hiking, swimming, boating, etc. available. Would definitely go again to this park armed with new knowledge to make the trip even better.

Visited July 2014

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We camped many times at Raccoon Creek and enjoy the park as it is only 30 minutes from home. One thing to be mindful of is to check the schedule at the Post Gazette Pavillion (I think that is what it is still called as it has had many names over the years) before you reserve. If there is a crazy wild band playing they get lots of roudy campers and it is not pretty. The rangers gave us that tip our first trip there.

3. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

My son & I just tented for a night there on Thursday. Not surprisingly, for the most part the place was rather empty. There were 4 occupied sites in our loop A, 1 in loop E, but then quite a few in Loop F, the pet & electric loop. We didn't walk through B,C & D. We liked the beach area & it looks like a nice place to kayak.

The bathhouse was acceptable, but rather dated & institutional looking with all stainless steel fixtures (sinks & toilets). It didn't appear that it had been swept out in a couple of days, but had plenty of handsoap & bright orange hand driers.

We never saw a ranger or park employee during our brief stay. We did not notice the air traffic until Fri morning btwn 6 & 7, when there were quite a few planes over head.

It was great for our overnighter & I would like to go back & explore some of the hiking trails. Considering my son is a freshman at RMU & we live sbout 6 hours away, I think I might be making more trips to Raccoon Creek over the next 4 yrs.

4. trudger

trudger Trudging the road of happy destiny.

@Nascar - you are right...I forgot to mention that important fact...check the Niagara Pavilion schedule so you don't end up with a Motley Crue (that's who's playing there next :)

I agree with the other comments too about the planes and the bathrooms....overall, I've been to better and certainly been to worse.

We are going again next week - weekday camping is the best!

See you on the trails!

David

5. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Heard there was trout fishing there? Looking for stream/river, not lake fishing.

Anyone tried it?

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

We are holding our third annual Raccoon DOG (dutch oven Gathering) April 21 and 22nd 2017. We reserve the whole Westside picnic area, 1/4 mile from the campground, and several of us camp in both the E and F. Section. Of the campground, we also hold a curtious dinner friday night for those who camp