Radio Antenna

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by JayAmyJamy, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

Hey y'all!

I'm going to be finishing up the installation of the car stereo to the pup tommorow, hopefully. I'm a night owl so I've been searching the search topics for mounting the radio antenna. But I haven't found anything as descriptive as I need.

How have y'all mounted your radio antenna. I bought the rubber antenna yesterday. I've been racking my brain on how to install it. (of course it's dark outside. so as soon as daylight hits my confusion may dissapate with the dawn)

Still, is there any special MacGuyver hardware that y'all have used to mount the radio antenna?

2. Skyryder

Skyryder Proud user of the K.I.S.S. Principle

Well I haven't installed one on a pup but several on other vehicles.

Pretty straight forward, drill a hole where the mount goes in, (without hitting any wires/pipes
    in the wall/roof) Stick it in and spread the two "fingers" tighten [MOD] and plug it in. You can rotate it to get a vertical alignment from any angled surface.

Now with that said, ,1) better reception will be if mounted on a flat metal surface, and grounded to that surface, normally through the mount itself. 2) the "rubber duckie" types will be less receptive than the straight steel "whip" types.

Does this help?

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

JayAmyJamy ,

I've done this in two pups now.
    The first one, I bought one of those car manual antennas that collapse in the fender. I put it in the same cabinet the radio was in and when you are not using the radio or put the pup down, you just collapse it in the holder so it's out of the way.

The second one was my current Avalon and fleetwood put a dipole antenna in the cabinet the radio was in. Needless to say the reception down behind the highwall was less than spectacular. I just finished putting an outside through the wall antenna. It's reception is really good, however, given the amount of effort to install, I would do a collapsible antenna mounted in a cabinet.
    I had to cut a hole in the paneling to get access to the outer wall, only to find 3/4 foam insulation I had to clear away with my fingers to install the antenna. Not enough room for any tool to get in there without making a much bigger hole in the inside paneling.

Just my 2 cents. I'd go with a fender mount collapsible antenna inside the pup if I had to do it over again.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have seen a few different installs (never done one yet). One way is if its a rubber ducky type is mount the antenna on the side board of the roof with a short lead attached with a motorola type plug on it (or any type of quick diconect), Once pupped up complete the installe by plugging into the rest of the cable, more or less you'd disconnect the antenna cable for traveling.

Another way I have seen is mounted to the side of the pup (rubber ducky) and to the A frame or rear bumper (both Rubber ducky and steel whips).

I think it was on this site, where I saw someone who used a twin lead antenna and ran it around the inside of cabinets.

Now each of these has pro's and con's to do with reception, storage etc. I am certain others have seen some different ways.

5. NismoGriff

NismoGriff New Member

I mounted mine up front between the rails of the a-frame. There were some existing factory holes that would work so I used them. I just aimed the antenna upward with the angle of the front of the pup. I ran the wire under the pup and up through the floor into the bottom of the cabinet where the radio is mounted. I bought the cheapest rubber antenna I could find and it's turning out to be a piece of junk as it was falling apart while I was installing it, but I was leaving the next day so a little extra security added via some black tape and I ran with it. It worked pretty well as I was able to pick up a quite a few stations....I just kept scanning until I found something that I was willing to listen to. I will most likely pick up a better constructed antenna and replace it

6. mrtuba9

mrtuba9 New Member

I "finished" my car stereo mod in camp a couple of weekends ago. The one thing I didn't have was an antenna---and the reason I was finishing in camp was because the DW took a DS to a birthday party back home for the afternoon. So there I am without a vehicle wondering how to get an antenna because I didn't even get static without one. I almost walked to the truck stop that was about a mile away as the crow flies thinking I'd seen them there. Then I got to thinking...

I knew the antenna had two contacts; the outer shell (ground most likely) and the male center contact. I did have plenty of wire, so I ran a lead into the female receptacle. Static! We're getting somewhere now! But, nothing would tune in; AM or FM. Then I remembered the ground. Ran another ground from the chassis to the pup and voila, stations! I'm going make the setup a little more permanent, but the two-wire system seems to work fine. I may just run the wire around the inside of the PUP top and connect at camp.

7. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

Thanks all for your advice!

I figured out how to mount the antenna. My FM stations come in great. However, I can't get my local am. [:(]

Anyone have any advice on how to lock in those AM stations?

8. NismoGriff

NismoGriff New Member

The AM reception can be affected by the antenna's ground plane. When installed on a car, it utilizes the body of the car it is mounted to....so your lack of reception could be due to how you mounted it. I personally don't listen to AM radio and could care less if I have am reception although I think I do because I have mine mounted to the frame of the pup.

9. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

That may be the kicker there!

I had serious problems getting my radio to power on. In the end I had an expert tell me to just ground it directly to the battery. Seems as though the pup ain't no good for grounding.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Your "expert" should have told you to clean a part of your frame (to a nice shinny metal) and try grounding the antenna there. Seeing how if your inside 12 volt lights work, your frame is good for grounding, since the lights just ground to the frame.

[2C]

11. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

Trust me, installing this kind of stuff ain't rocket science. I did have the radio grounded to bare metal, just not to the frame (I didn't want to have to drill any more holes through the floor). This radio just seemed to be overly picky about where it was grounded is all.

I'm sure the pup grounds just fine. I was giving her an elbow, wink, and nod. Lord only knows why the radio didn't like the grounding solutions.

Thanks for the feedback though. :)

12. mrtuba9

mrtuba9 New Member

Funny, for me, it was as simple as finding a piece of aluminum channel. It was temporary at the time, but I just wedged it the rail, and voila! Cubs vs. Cards on AM!

13. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

I have the antenna itself mounted to the front side of the frame. The radio is grounded to the battery.

14. NismoGriff

NismoGriff New Member

Technically, that means that the radio is also grounded to the pup's frame. The shielding on the antenna should provide continuity between the radio chassis and the pup's frame.