Rail for outside stove top

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Braol, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Braol

Braol New Member

Anyone here ever make anything to attach to this rail other than the stovetop?
    We have an 02 Coleman that didn't come with the outside stove but has the rail on the outside wall. I was thinking of making a table that one end would attach to the rail and have individually adjustable legs on the other end. We've taken it out twice so far. The first place we camped was fairly uneven, we had to stack wood of various thickness under our table legs to level it. The picnic table at the site was on the wrong side of the site to be convenient to use.

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Several have made shelves.

3. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I made a table top that sits on the rack that normally would hold an rvque. I set my colman propane stove on it.

FARfetched likes this.
  4. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

As I'm in the same boat, this is relevant to my interests! @Aladin Sane, what did you use on your table to clip onto the rail?

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You can buy the rail assembly from any RV dealer or Amazon. .

6. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I had a bracket that holds an RVque. I just took the grill out and leave it at home. The bracket hooks in the track and has a frame that extends down the side of the camper about a foot.

7. RetAF

RetAF Member

The exact same thing that I do.

8. Econ

Econ Active Member

ITs the hook concept. The rail attached to the wall is a "u" channel. Get a piece of oak or other hardwood that will fit the cross section of the "u". I used a hand plane to sneak up on a tight fit. Attach that to the shelf. Just to be safe a single support leg was attached to the bottom.

9. Braol

Braol New Member

I wonder how much that rail can hold? I guess I'll see if I can tell what it's attached to in the wall.

10. Econ

Econ Active Member

2 small crock pots with no supports

Let me edit this. There maybe a support in some peoples mind. The lip fits into the channel and holds the shelf tightly to the wall. The shelf is made with several Western Cedar boards/cut offs. Looks like I was cleaning out the cutoff bin. There are two "floor joists" about 2.5 to 3" wide that fit flush against the exterior wall when the shelf is at a 90 degree angle.

The shelf has been decommsioned by the DW. It was only about a small crock pot wide. Not a table

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Braol likes this.
  11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I still attach my stove exterior, but I added an additional rail and attach a table there with a single adjustable supporting leg outbound. It is quite study and the table can hold a lot. It is great when cooking and doing dishes outside. The table is a light weight composite panel and only weighs a few lbs. I go the let and the rail components on Amazon or maybe ebay. If you are going to put much weight on something attached to the slide, you should either have a support pole that goes to the side bracket or one that goes to the ground.

12. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

This is what I was worried too...Instead of using the side rail, i just put a small table to put my stove and some other stuff that I need/keep handy. Yes, the ground is uneven and had to sort of level it using some wooden support underneath. Just sharing to give ideas. Picture from a recent trip. Mine is also 2002 Coleman!
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.33.16 AM.png

13. Braol

Braol New Member

This is what I came up with for this weekend. Slid a piece of 1/8 x 3/4 aluminum into the rail. Used a couple of angle brackets on the tabletop to hook over the aluminum strip. Made the legs out of 1/2 allthread and 3/4 tube so that I can adjust each leg individually.

Attached Files:

FARfetched, Camper054 and Econ like this.
  14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

If you are locked into the rail, you only need a single leg. Makes leveling much easier. They sell single folding legs with leveling capability.

15. Braol

Braol New Member

I could not find any legs that had a fine adjustment.