Rain camping in a pop up?

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by punahou, Sep 17, 2015.

1. JT2

JT2 Member

Some of my best camping memories are camping with the kids in the rain. Run the awning out (properly rigged for drainage, etc), and maybe use a couple dollar store shower curtains on the sides if you want. Dress the kids for the temperature and rain and let 'em go be kids!

Walks in rainy woods or along a lake make for some first rate science and nature lessons. Let them jump in puddles or try to catch a fish by hand. It's just rain; they won't melt. Everything looks different on a grey cloudy day, too. There's art in the subtle light.

The PuP makes a safe and dry haven when you come back. Games are good, and so is hot cocoa. The sound of the rain will put them to sleep almost instantly.

Do it. You won't regret it.

/JT

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

We camp in the rain frequently. No tarps or anything. The PUP keeps us dry all on its own. We don't have an awning, but we often carry an EZ up canopy we put up if it is bad. If it's raining, we'll spend more time inside, but that's about it. Occasionally if it raining and we're at a site with no electricity we'll use the Tow Vehicle (TV) as a rec room to plug in the phones and stuff. With the dual batteries in the truck, it has a lot of phone charging capability without having to idle.

3. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

A PUP is a shelter. I feel comfortable and safe in it.

4. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

When we had our pup, I threw a large tarp over the PUP and bought extension poles to support the ends of the tarp. This added extra protection from the rain and anything falling from the trees. I also set up a 10x10 canopy over the picnic table so that we could cook and eat outside. on rainy days we use our propane fire pit under the awning.