Rain gutter over door

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ErinG, Jul 3, 2021.

1. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I like our awning as much (or more) as a rain shelter/diverter than I do for shade. Get a Dometic Trim Line and they are probably easier to set up than an EZ UP canopy.

ErinG likes this.
  2. ErinG

ErinG Member

It is set up. Not sure what ripples you are talking about? The ones in the green vinyl? The canvas feels fairly tight. Some places it seems too tight, if that's possible? The gray is a tarp I put over to block the water. I was going to recaulk all the edges once it stayed dry but it's been raining every day. I'll tilt it a little more and see how much that helps!

3. ErinG

ErinG Member

I will also say that when I took this picture I think I had been messing with the seal of the canvas around the door so I think it wasn't pulled all the way over at the time.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes the tenting next to the door looks rippled. Like it needs to be pulled taunt or closer to the door. Its not canvas, but sumbrella with a vinyl on it. Take some more pictures of it set up , so we can see the whole side.

5. ErinG

ErinG Member

Ok will do once I can get out there. This rain is relentless right now so I have the tarp over it still.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

All good. No need to get wet!

7. cjm0mmy

cjm0mmy Member

The dripping sounds exactly like what happened in our 1999 Coleman Santa Fe. I tried various DIY gutter ideas and finally found one that worked unless it was a downpour. The solution was self-stick soft rubber window edging. I found some peel n stick drip rail just googling that should work for you as well. https://www.campingworld.com/peel-n-stick-drip-rail-6'l-115722.html Just make sure you angle it so the water will run off one side or the other or you will still have a drip. Or you may have to buy another piece to fix that problem - just like I had to. I've attempted to attach a picture of the edging on our pup. Its the long black line and then the much more angled short black line over the door.

Attached Files:

8. ErinG

ErinG Member

Must be the way our roofs are angled or something. It's strange that we have the same make/model and the same issue. I'm not at home but I'll post a pic of my proto type. I got it up yesterday. I think it will work well....I am planning a few minor adjustments now that I have it on and know it works. We ended up buying a vinyl gutter from lowes and hanging it with hooks on velcro so I can remove them when we put the pup down. I had to cut one lip down because it was a little too deep and it wasn't clearing the door. But it seems to be working!! I tried the pool noodle and the drop just ran over it.

9. TRACY GROMER

TRACY GROMER Member

I vote for awning channel. You don't have to use or attach a bag awning that has legs that must be pulled out of the bag etc. or any awning at all for that matter. The channel alone should divert water that would otherwise run down. And you may find you like having a simple fabric awning -- Sunbrella makes some gorgeous fabrics and all you need to do is sew on the piping that goes into the keder rail, two grommets on the far end, adjustable poles and some guy lines. If you're not handy, go to Etsy and search Sew County Awnings -- she did a beautiful awning for me. Easy on if you remember to put it on before you get the top cranked all the way up. No more hauling a heavy pop up. Best of luck whatever you decide.

10. ErinG

ErinG Member

So this is the current situation. The different ways we tried to divert the run off, water still made it's way over the edge of it only to find the old water path and drip in the same spot. I'm happy with how well it works. We had a downpour yesterday and the water ran beautifully off the side. It will come off and store in the pup when we are packed up and it fits in our expedition if we are out camping and won't need it even though I can put it on very easily and even if no rain is in the forecast it wouldn't do any hard to attach it if we didn't want it in the car for whatever reason. Be nice y'all....I know it's probably not the prettiest or most logical solution but it fixed our issue lol

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Cydnew

Cydnew New Member

We have the same one, however I think our roof seal looks different and extends beyond the edge of the roof.
    It looks like your seal is under the roof edge? So then the water runs along it until it hits that paint spot and drips off?

Our awning track was also removed by the previous owner, so I will have to keep an eye on our pup and see how the water runs... if we ever have rain again.

12. ErinG

ErinG Member

Yes exactly. It runs until it hits that spot.

13. Sjm9911

Just curious, do you have a inside roof brace on that?

14. ErinG

ErinG Member

Inside the pup? Yes we do.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Clemens

Clemens Member

I tip my camper about 1-2 degree up at the hitch, then 1-2 degree up by the door end. This way, all the condensation will drip off the roof without touching the canvas.

16. ErinG

ErinG Member

I have mine tipped and it still runs down in front of the door.