Rain noise on the roof

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by Gwinney, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

It can rain all night...just not all day. Don't like to spend all day couped up inside. We can do that at home.

2. distracto

distracto Member

does monstaliner and the like reduce the sound of rain on an aluminum roof? dont particularly mind the sound, but with an aluminum roof, it can sound like it is raining harder than it is...

3. Bullfrog Bheer

With just the wind blowing drops out of the trees, it sound like it's still raining good.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Like Bullfrog Bheer, it takes me a little bit to decide that there are no leaks and therefore, it is a relaxing sound. I actually welcome it now, years later.

Coming from tents, the sound of rain against the tent material sent shivers up my spine and a race to pull everything away from the tent walls so water wouldn't come streaming in. Even with the Sunbrella fabric of the PUP walls, nothing wicks in even though it is a woven material. I did treat it with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard last year to keep the water repellency at full strength and now water just balls right up on the outside whereas it did look like it was wetting the outside - it just never came on the inside.

Much like others have noted, the aluminum roof of my shop makes it sound like Noah's flood has come back around and makes me poke my head out only to realize that it is misting or just a slight drizzle. Real rain sounds like a thundering herd of bison. The PUP is much subdued compared to the shop.

5. Bullfrog Bheer

You mean it's NOT just me? DW thinks I worry too much.

6. bondebond

bondebond New Member

And it's every time that it rains the first time for that trip. Tell your wife that there are others out there like you. Maybe demented...but just like you.

7. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

I love that sound.

8. Garywt

Garywt New Member

Add me to the list of loving the sound of rain at night. Then again, I like being near train tracks as well.

As for the A frame vs the pop up, not sure of the noise level but I would not want to give up the room. We like our beds ready to go at any time without any work.

9. Winchested

Winchested Member

To me on my Coleman mesa with ABS roof it sounds like your inside a deep fryer when the water droplets fall in when lofting the lid.

10. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Yeah I enjoy the sound of the rain in the roof and canvas and also enjoy a near by train, even if it is frequent.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

11. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

12. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

The noise level when it rains sometimes is quite loud but after camping in different shelters over the years it doesn't matter whether it is a tent or a motorhome, same noise. Kind of a refreshing sound late at night after a hot day. [{}=]

13. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

In happier days, we took an annual trip to the Colorado Rockies. It always rained. However, given the scenery, a small price to pay.

14. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

When we bought our new TT in 2012, on one of the trips we took, we camped in a severe thunderstorm along with hail and heavy down pours. It lasted from 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm. It cleared the campground of all the tenters and a lot of pup owners. Mass exodus until 4:00 am. We have a rubber EDPM roof and it still sounded like pebbles landing on it and it was quite loud.

15. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I too love the sound of rain hitting the roof of the PUP.

16. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I sprayed Upol Raptor bedliner on my aluminum roof so I can tell you it really doesn't make an appreciable difference in terms of sound dampening.

I would compare it to a commercial/residential roof covered in sheetmetal on top of rigid styrofoam or foil-backed fiberglass insulation. It's just plain LOUD and there's no real way around it unless you have an air space, then a thick layer of Roxul/Fiberglass or cellulose insulation.

You could always install a suspended ceiling in your pup! That'd probably help! [LOL]

17. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Suspended ceiling in a PUP...*face palm*.

18. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

I really don't mind the sound of rain on the roof or canvas bunkends. I will agree that it does get loud sometimes. We went camping last week, and a HUGE storm started passing thru around 2am. Lightning, thunder, pouring rain, wind, etc. My 4 year old DS handled it like a champ! He never cried from being scared. He just kept saying, "It's too loud. It's annoying." So, he had a hard time sleeping. We were awake watching a movie on his little DVD player until about 4:30am when it passed thru.

19. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

Sad confession. Sometimes, when it rains, i will stand on my porch just to hear the sound of the rain dancing off of the roof of the pup in the driveway.... [:!] i wanna go camping....

20. R00

R00 Active Member

That's freaking awesome...