Rain

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by firepit, Mar 14, 2021.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Its about 5am cant sleep...been raining since yesterday afternoon and supposed to rain non stop till monday late morning.
    As i listen to the sound of rain hitting the roof and gutters outside the bedroom i can only dream of rain bouncing of the canvas out camping.
    Man...Am i a poet or what?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

. Yeah, as great as it sounds this too can backfire. I camped in Ohio once and it rained for three days straight. Apparently a storm that was going through stalled when it hit some more humid air coming down from the Great Lakes, which caused the rain to just continue as it was feeding off the moisture. I was in a tent as my old popup died and I was between campers. The small trickle stream I was beside turned into a River and went right through my tent. My canopy collapsed under the weight of the rain. For some reason, I guess the high ground water, the sewage and pit toilets were overflowing. So the smell was ridiculous. I will tell you the hot shower I took when I got home was the best thing I have ever felt. The dry clothes I put on felt wonderful. I don’t normally mind rain when I’m camping except for that trip. My poor dogs didn’t want to get out of the car they were just done long before I gave in. I have never left early on any camping trip, except that trip I left a day early.

3. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

About 4 years ago, we went tent camping in the Great Smoky Mountains NP; we had reserved a full 7 days. Got to our campsite in early afternoon and set up camp, 3 of us in two tents that fit on the raised tent area (love those things!) and my sister and mother sleeping in the van on the bed. It was so sunny, we put up an awning over the van and off the side to give us shade while cooking and sitting at the picnic table. Enjoyed a campfire every night for the first three nights; we even cooked dinner over the fire one night.
    It was great.
    On the third night after we went to bed, it began raining; never a heavy rain, just a steady light rain. Love that sound as it hits the tent; just lulls me to sleep. That rain continued for days. Other campers left one by one until we were the only ones left. The weather report kept getting it completely wrong. Finally, on the sixth day, when the Ranger stopped by for his daily visit, he told us that it looked like the system had stalled and his sources where saying it was going to continue for at least another 4 or more days.
    We were up to our ankles in mud and the dampness had permeated EVERYTHING, even the paper plates were soggy. We called it and left a day early. I don't know if we would have stuck it out that one last day if we had the pup or not.
    As we drove down the mountain, we drove out of the clouds that had settled on top and it was overcast, but not rain coming down. By the time we got to my sister's house about 3 hours away, it was sunny, hot and dry.
    And I totally agree, that hot shower when we got back to my sister's house never felt SO good.

firepit likes this.
  4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Nothin beats a shower and your bed at home the first night back home.

HappyTraveler likes this.