Raise Camper Without Winch?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Danfr, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Danfr

Danfr New Member

Hey all!

First time post! My (expecting) fiancé and I picked up a 1993 Viking Spirit (SP165) from a good friend and I'm really excited to get it in running order.

The previous owner swapped the manual crank to a motorized winch. Unfortunately the cables were replaced with cables that were too short AND two of the eyebolts opened up and collapsed the front half of the camper. Also because the cables are too short, the trailer cannot fully collapse down to seal up.

So I need to get the top safely raised up and supported so that I can replace the cabling, eyebolts, as well as reinforce the flooring on the corners with sheets of mild steel.

So my question is, what is the safest way to raise the roof and have it supported? Is this possible with two people with ladders?

I'm also considering swapping back to a manual winch unless someone can suggest creating a stop for the motor. IE Limit switch

Thanks
    Dan
    Victoria BC

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

First off ........
    Welcome.png

Now to raise the roof ....... Get the roof up enough to get a 2X4 across side to side. One in the front and one in the rear. Now you need something to put the ends of the 2X4 on. Four ladders? interlocking milk crates? Concrete blocks? What I did once was 4 steel barrels and concrete blocks. Barrels on a good flat surface with a square of 3/4plywood on top. I could (in my younger years) lift the 2X4 by myself enough to have a helper add concrete blocks as I needed to go. I wasn't lifting a camper roof it was a truck flat bed body but it did work for me.

3. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Welcome!

Unhelpful response: buy an A-frame popup! No cable lift to worry about! :)

Helpful response: I have seen people wedge short lengths of 2x4 on all 4 corners. Browsing through the section on lift systems and the restoration section might give you some ideas. And, might want to repost this in the lift system section to get it more visibility.

The search feature stinks. To find something more relevant, hit up Google and have it search the site. That's done by typing:
    [search term] site popupportal.com

Hope some of that helped!

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I got mine up for weeks waiting on Jayco cables Coronavirus shutdowns of plant A9AFD57C-1063-4A6D-9F99-76ED11633896.jpeg

5. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

They sent me one cable length 60 inches. Way too short.

6. Danfr

Danfr New Member

Thanks all for your replies! I have a some 2x4’s so I’ll cut them to length.

maybe I’ll make some shorter 2x4’s and do a multi step process. Raise one end up a foot or two, then the other side, continuing until I get the desired height.