Raising roof with power drill and tool.

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by roadtrip, Apr 1, 2014.

1. roadtrip

roadtrip New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a question. Is there any issue with using a cordless drill to lift the roof. I have a bad back so I had a tool built to hook into the receiver and on to my drill. It can lift the roof smoothly. I'm not harming anything am I? I would assume it the same as me cranking it myself, without stressing my back.
    Mike

2. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Nope, your fine to use one. Just go slow, do not raise it all the way up with the drill. Use the hand crank the last few turns. If you use the drill and go to fast you could snap the cables. And do not use it when lowering. Use the hand crank to lower or you could drop it to fast and the cables could get all twisted and messed up.

So just use it with caution and you will be fine. We used one with ours and know others here use them as well.

You might want to post what drill your using so others know what drill works.

Sharon

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I too have a bad back and a drill/crank to lift the roof. Quite honestly, with my set-up I've mostly traded one stress (my back) for another (holding the drill, I should have gotten once with an auxiliary handle. I still use the drill at times, especially when it is hot and at home. Often I don't take the drill on trips, since we usually dry camp, and don't want to bother with re-charging it in the TV. Dry camping is also one reason we have a cordless drill, not plug-in.
    I count clicks when I crank by hand, so have to go by the sound of the drill and estimate height as the roof gets close to all the way up. I do the last few tunes by hand, I don't want to damage the pup system, nor my wrist and arm if things come to a sudden stop.
    We have an 8' pup, to use a drill on anything larger, we'd have to get a heftier drill.

4. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I use a Craftsman 20 volt cordless with dual speed. Use the low speed on max torque. Works great just go slow. Also as mentioned do not lower top with drill , hand crank down. [8D] [PUC] [PUT]

5. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

I attached a very light piece of rope to the inside of the pup top near where I crank/drill.

I crank/drill about a 1/4 of the way up and stop. Then I reach in and pull out the rope.

At the bottom of the rope is a light weight that will keep the rope straight, and I have attached a couple of
    pieces of gorilla tape to the front of the pup as markers to indicate where to stop the crank/drilling.

When I crank/drill up, and I mean as slowly as possible, I watch the weight at the end of the rope.
    I stop the crank/drill when the weight is at the black tape, and that means there are 3 hand cranks left
    that I do with the manual crank. :)

I also have a piece of plastic pipe about 2' long that fits on the side handle of the drill, with the other
    end under my armpit. That takes the cranking stress off of my arms and lets me concentrate on
    running the crank/drill slow and watching for the rope indicator to align with the tape marker.

Sorry, no pics, yet.
    The cranking down process is done with the manual crank.

This crank/drill method is obviously a great assist with the lifting process, but it is a "short-cut" that
    requires a lot of attention. There is no allowance for errors. It should not be done in a hurry.

It works for me, but that is no guarantee that it will work for anybody else. [;)]

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I use the drill sometimes for lifting the roof but finish the last few turns by hand. As a precaution, I always make sure that the clutch is set so that it will lift the roof but slip if it were to encounter stiff resistance.

7. roadtrip

roadtrip New Member

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice. I'm looking forward to exploring this website and getting answers to situations that I know you all have delt with.

8. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

Thought I would throw in here that I use a "Socket Jenie" from Custom Cylinders attached to my 20V drill.

https://customcylindersintinc.com/socket_jenie_sockets.htm#

You will need to find the correct attachment to work with your lift system and stabilizers.

I use the Model: LVSG-516 for my Coleman/Fleetwood.

Happy Camping!

9. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer