Rant about CL prices and use of NADA

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by MIlover, Oct 3, 2013.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

Hello all,

I just need to complain a bit to my fellow campers about my frustration with Craig's List prices.

I'm still searching for my elusive late-model Bayside. I've found a couple, both of which were priced well above the NADA average value. I also tracked down a couple of nice looking Utahs for sale by private owners. Those too, were priced as much as $1,000 over NADA. Umm, it's October, and not exactly prime selling season in MI.

In a couple of instances, I gently informed the sellers that the prices were high, and provided links to NADA, then asked if they would negotiate to that range. One of them was upset because I hadn't added all of the many "options" (which were standard for the unit, and shouldn't have been figured in). *Sigh*

I feel like I've exhausted every possible option on Craig's List within a 300 mile radius (I use SearchTempest too), and I regularly check RV trader and Google so I can pick up dealership websites. Though I am seeing fewer pups for sale as we near cold weather, I am not seeing lower prices. I don't think I'm being unrealistic. There was one nice-looking Bayside I found that was priced to sell. I called right away, but it was snatched up by someone who lived closer.

I had hoped to buy another pup this fall in hopes of getting a decent deal and maybe squeezing in one more fall camping weekend. At this point though, I don't think it's going to happen. We may have to wait until spring and hope for the best.

That was my rant. Thank you for reading. [:D]

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Many of us just view NADA as a very general baseline. Prices tend to vary by region of the country. The thing for you to look at is whether or not sellers are getting their asking prices, If so, that's the local market value. OTOH, if those CL ads just keep reappearing over and over at the same price perhaps the sellers are out of touch.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Just to add a bit of info here.
    NADA and others collect information on Sales Prices from DMV's in all states.
    This is an average retail selling price. NOT ASKING price by dealers or individuals.
    Asking price is very different from the actual selling price unless you are willing to pay the asking price.
    And very clearly now on the NADA site, it states that standard items which you mentioned should not be added to the price, only true options..
    That is very different from autos where NADA and others compile the standard equipment for all models and only list the options for that particular model for you to add.
    One last thing, condition, condition, condition of the camper is going to affect the price the most.

4. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

You are upset because an individual will not sell you his camper at your price... [?:~{]
    How do you feel when you go to a RV dealers lot? Do you rant about their prices also?

5. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I don't rant.. I tell them what I will pay for something, leave my number and walk away. You'd not believe how well that works

6. MIlover

MIlover Member

This is exactly what I've seen happening. The one Bayside I saw that looked nice and was priced within NADA - it sold quickly.

To the contrary, the prices I've seen at dealerships are more realistic. I expect dealership prices to be a bit higher (and they are), and most will negotiate price more than the average CL seller. However, two high-priced pups I saw at dealerships (including one in IL that I really wanted) were on consignment - which is a whole different ball game. The seller wants his/her price and the dealership wants their cut, so the selling price is not a good one. Another dealer-owned pup (Utah) that I saw was priced very reasonably, and within the NADA range. I mostly wasn't interested because the salesman was slimy, so I wasn't confident in the purchase, and it was my second-choice model.

I'm only annoyed because some sellers are using inflated, and inaccurate NADA values to base their price on.
    Actual Midwest selling prices are within NADA. Our previous pup was purchased under NADA. This was just my rant about the search process, and some sellers that IMHO, are not realistic about the value of their pup.

And, this post is meant to be a light-hearted complaint. :)

7. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

Back away and stop searching so hard...that is when it will find you.

8. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

I bought my pup in February from a local dealer. It was marked down 3k from what they where originally asking and in the end I got it down another 2k. I actually think if I sold it today I would make a little on it. The deals are out there just gotta keep looking. And dealers are looking to deal around jan-feb to make room when April rolls around and they new stock comes in.....

9. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Somewhere between ignorance and deception lies the reason why the supposed "NADA" prices are so inflated. I have seen listings for 8 year old trailers where people have built up the price so that it's within $1,000 of a brand new PUP of the same make/model ... which means that the used price is more than the price of that PUP when it was new. I guess people believe that a good PUP appreciates in value over time.

But, like you, any time I've pointed this out, I am met with general annoyance that I could be so callous as to point out their error. Their excuses generally boils down to, "If NADA lets me abuse the system to inflate my price, that's NADA's problem, not mine." And, I've been told that almost verbatim by some people here over in the classified section.

I agree that NADA is a guide and market prices prevail. It's also an average value. So, by definition, there are values above and below that figure.

With that said, there's still no reason why these people have to be disengenuous about NADA value. If NADA says your PUP is worth $5K, but you believe it's really worth $7K, that's fine. List it for $7K. But don't game the NADA system to artificially inflate the price. That's just not right.

My experience was that dealerships generally did a better job of valuating the PUP and had more wiggle room in the price. Thus, lower list price and higher expected discounts.

Good luck.

10. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Seems to me that supply and demand work, why should anyone sell for less to you than they want? You can walk and they can wait and sell or not.

Seller has a price, buy or walk, buyer has an amount they can spend, they can walk, personally condition trumps NADA

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Remember that when you sell something it is only worth what someone will pay for it. Continue to look and eventually you will find what you want at your price. Do not be in a hurry to buy. Earlier today I posted one in Escanaba. Here it is: http://madison.craigslist.org/rvs/3994054238.html

12. dmaxphil

dmaxphil New Member

MIlover,

There have been some good responses so far, so let me add..

Just find the one you want and negotiate the deal. Forget NADA. Think of all the time you've wasted shopping - you could've been camping. Just because everyone on the internet bought their pup for $1000 under wholesale doesn't mean you have to hold out for the same deal.

Ok, I was teasing a bit there but really NADA online is just a guide. By the way, If you shop anymore dealer inventory shoot me a PM with the make model year and options and I'll tell ya what the likely paid for it.

Best, Phil

13. Camping Coyles

Camping Coyles New Member

The summer was coming to an end for us and we had pretty much given up and then we found just what we were looking for!!

14. steved

steved New Member

Personally, I would go visiting each one, look them over; and make a fair offer. If they refuse, offer them your phone number in case they change their mind. If they are looking to unload it for winter, you might get a call if you throw them a reasonable offer (i.e. not a low ball).

15. MIlover

MIlover Member

I would love to do this, and think it's a good idea, but the two pups I've been most interested in are several hours away. I inform them of my price range up front via phone or email, and let it go from there.
    That's great! I don't expect to find that good of a deal, but one can always hope.
    Thanks Phil, you make good points. I've thought the same thing - that there is a price to time spent searching. But, I just can't justify spending $10,000+ for a four-year old pup. Hopefully we'll soon find another like the one that got away.

16. gec66

gec66 Active Member

I paid more than NADA for my 2004 in October of 2010, though not $1000. Since you can't buy one over the phone, focus on trying to eliminate those that fall short of your condition requirement to eliminate wasted trips. It can be tough because what one person considers clean and good condition another calls dirty and poorly cared for. We looked at pups in our price range, but were very disappointed time and time again. When we found the pristine condition we were looking for the extra $800 was well spent. Quite frankly I bet I could get within $800 of what I paid next spring because it is still in near new condition. One other thing you might want to consider is not getting too hung up on the year. I would rather have a pup that was a few years older and pristine vs a few years newer and just average, but that is just me.

17. steved

steved New Member

And that right there will make most sellers feel you aren't serious and are just looking to lowball or to kick the tires...if you are serious, you'll show up to look at it and make an offer.

18. MIlover

MIlover Member

Really? I don't understand that. My point in naming a price range up front is so I don't waste anyone's time (or mine). And, it depends on how far away the pup is. I've driven to a couple of pups that were within 2-2.5 hours, and did not feel the need to discuss price up front. However, when I'm interested in a pup that is 5-7 hours away, I see no use in making that kind of a trip if there isn't some mutual agreement on the price to be paid. I do ask a lot of detailed questions and let the buyer know I am serious. I don't think any of them have questioned that. I wouldn't think twice about this if someone had been buying my old pup long distance.
    Agreed! I would prefer a well-kept 2007 or 2008 model, for the sake of the price point.

Again, I want to remind everyone that this was a light-hearted "rant" post about some of my experiences with CL sellers and use of the NADA guide. Please don't assume I'm low-balling or being unrealistic. I've done my homework, successfully sold my own pup, and just wanted to comment on some CL sellers who, IMHO, don't really want to sell. Yes, it's their absolute right to name a price. Yes, it's supply and demand at work. But does it also drive me a little crazy in my hunt? Yes! I know many of you have been there, done that.

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Your complaint is one I read all the time, The problem comes from un-educated sellers. They think most things are options and don't know how or where to find the info as to what is standard or options.. That is why I always tell folks to use it as a guide.... Since Nada doesn't take into account local supply and demand nor does it use condition in it's pricing it can be off by several hundred's of dollars just on those ...

20. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Deep cleansing breath, MIlover. [CB] [CB] [CB] [CB] [CB] [CB] [CB] [:D]
    The DW and I are going to Novi this weekend for the Fall RV show, we'll check all the used inventory boards for ya. That's how we (finally) found ours!