RAV4 as tow vehicle?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by emmy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. emmy

emmy New Member

Bought our first PUP (yay!), a 2004 fleetwood yuma. The Yuma is a smaller PUP, 10' box, 1600 lbs or so empty (obviously, it isn't empty when we tow it). Thinking of a new TV - the Rav4 with V6 and available tow package says it can tow 3500 max (tow capacity is the same for 2wd and 4wd). Does anyone tow a PUP with a Rav4? How does it do?

Thanks!

2. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

First thing would be to have the camper weighed so you know exactly what you are dealing with. The dry weight listed for a camper is before any accessories like a fridge, furnace, etc are added. Once you have the real weight figured out, you have to figure between 500 to 800 pounds of gear, propane, etc that you will be traveling with. Then add passengers in the TV. Sounds like you might be getting awful close to the max for the RAV4. I dont like getting more than 85% of the TV's capacity so that you arent beating it to death.

3. macaddict

macaddict New Member

I tow with a Rav4, v6, tow-prep package and have no problems. Live in NJ and have been as south as Maryland and as North as Maine and have had no issues, plenty of power.

I would just watch out for the weight ratings. Here are my first trip numbers: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtBM1z1Z-cnVdGFKREZXbWExdzBsM1J1OW85WFNBbVE&hl=en_US&authkey=CIzNp-gL

4. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

The tongue weight is the RAV's weak link.

Unlike other tow ratings, that 3500 lbs is WITH the RAV at full capacity. You do not have to subtract the weight of people and cargo. Toyota is one of the few that is different like that. But the RAV really can't handle 350 lbs of tongue weight without adding spring bags or something.

There is someone on the RAV forum that tows a TT with his V6 RAV.
    Our RAV Sport I4 handles out Quicksilver 10.0 (under 1500 lbs) great.

The current gen RAV will be the last to offer the V6, so you'd better hurry if you're going to buy a new one!
    The new ones will only offer 4 cylinders.

5. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Old thread, I know, but wanted to provide some feedback from someone who has pulled near the 3500# limit on a 2010 RAV4 V6 4WD. I had zero issue in the time I had it as a TV. I pulled the trailer 2k miles round trip on the first expedition through the Rocky Mountains, pulled like a dream. I would have no issue recommending it as a TV to your much lighter pup. Only problem I had is that the RAV4 had a small fuel tank for towing, seemed like we were getting gas all the time.

6. Camper Ghost

Camper Ghost New Member

Finally found a 2011 RAV4 V6 Base after 4 weeks w dealer trying to locate one. This was transferred back to the Southeast distribution center then to our dealer in Huntsville, Al.
    I tried to locate a used V6 nearly all are the Limited model w 25000-55000 miles with a price tag of $25000 to $28000 and all in the north central states at over 500miles away.. Did a Toyota search of the southeast 2 weeks ago - of 2621 2011 Rav4's available only 2 were V6,s and they were the limited model at $31000 plus list.
    You'll be very lucky to find one new or used. But GOOD LUCK. Our Dealer told us only 20% of RAV4's are produced with a V6 and most of them are the Limited Model. He also said that the current model year (2011) was the last of the V6 RAV4.

7. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

I saw a Rav4 at the cg this year pulling a Rockwood Roo 233. That is a 23' hybrid! I was impressed to say the least, not to mention the 'lady' driving it was pretty confident in her Rav4. Downfall was 4mpg, and I can't imagine trying to stop the Roo in a panic situation. I believe all she added was a wdh.

8. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

4 mpg? I don't think so....

9. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Don't be so sure. With the right conditions it could. I had a stretch in NM that I only got 9mpg with my old TV, and that was towing a pup.

10. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

You're right.... but that can't be typical. Over on the RAV forum some members have reported about 15 mpg pulling 3000-3500 lbs with a V6 RAV.

We get about 20 mpg with our I4 RAV pulling about 1300 lbs..

11. macaddict

macaddict New Member

Maybe ecupcar meant that the Rav4 lost 4mpg from what it normally gets? so instead of 24 MPG, when towing this TT, it was getting 20 MPG?

12. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

That roo 233 is just under 6000lbs gvwr. The limit on theRav4 is 3500 lbs.
    4 mpg possibly, the Toy probably wasn't ever getting into 4th gear and was always running in third or less.
    But that is nothing compared to the guy I saw on I-84 from Quebec, the TV was a Chevy Equinox 4 cyl pulling a 28 ft TT in the left lane at over 75 to 80 mph this past summer.
    The family of 3 was in the TT while he was driving. There were four bikes on the back of the TT and I saw the kids looking out the TT's window.
    It's illegal here to have any trailer in the left lane.
    He was way over the tow capacity of the TV.
    Having anyone in the trailer while driving is illegal here as well.

You just can't legislate common sense.

13. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

That Roo 233 has a dry weight listing of 4093lbs. That RAV had no business even hitching up to it.

Did you try contacting the authorities in Canada when you saw that Chevy pulling the 28 footer? Someone needed to stop that guy.

I've been trying to convince a RAV owner on a Quicksilver group/forum that he should have brakes on his QS 8.0. He seems proud that he's pulled it over 4000 miles without brakes. Toyota wants trailer brakes on anything over 600 lbs. This guy wants to know where I am getting my information....told him to look in his manual [::)]

The RAV is by far not a perfect tow vehicle, but it can handle light weight trailers well if the set-up is correct.

14. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

That's 4,000 miles of being lucky. The next mile could be the one where his luck runs out. I hope there are no innocents hurt or killed when it happens.

15. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

What kind of idiot would try that. Drivers like that piss me off, it is always someone innocent that gets hurt, not them.

16. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

This happened on I-84 heading from CT into Massachusetts. He had passed me a couple of miles back and was waiting to get thru the toll booth when I went right by him in the EZ pass lanes. He then drove past a MA state trooper who didn't even give him a second look going thru the toll booths.

17. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Family in the TT would be cause to be pulled over just about any province in Canada. That is just crazy. Was it a newer Equinox?