Re-attaching Interior Dome Light to Coleman ABS Roof

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by JonMulder, Jul 26, 2015.

1. JonMulder

JonMulder Coleman 2000 Bayside

Greetings,

I had to remove an interior dome light in my Bayside Coleman (for some reason the jack for my 12 volt fan got stuck in the fixture and wouldn't come out). I had to drill out four rivets to remove the fixture.

In any case, I can't remove the fan jack, so I just ordered a replacement dome light.

QUESTIONS: What is the best way to re-install the dome lamp? Should I use rivets (looks like they have a longer-than-usual shank)? Try some screws ensuring that they are not too long to penetrate roof? Simply just use some Gorilla Glue (assuming I don't ever have to remove the fixture)?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Jon Mulder
    Durham, CA

2. George Rose

George Rose Member

Gorilla Glue is great for making a mess. Small screws would be my choice.

3. JonMulder

Thanks. Still waiting on the replacement fixture to be shipped. But when I get it, I'll probably check with our local fastener shop and see if they have rivets with a shank a bit longer than one I currently have.

4. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

I took down my lights to convert to DPDT switches. After drilling, I too was surprised by the long rivets they used.
    I pushed the rivet bases through the ABS panel and then inserted plastic style molly anchors. You may want to add a drop of glue so they want spin. Put the screw through the light base, line up diagonal corners and snug screws. I have not had any problems with mine coming loose.

5. JonMulder

First off, what is a DPDT switch? Is there that much space between the inside ceiling and the ABS roof to insert a molly bolt? I just don't want to impair the ABS any.

6. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

my lights are a dual bulb type with a single switch turning both either off or on. I replaced the SPST (single-pole-single-throw) switch with a DPDT (double-pole-double-throw switch) to allow turning on either a single bulb or both bulbs. This allows additional power savings when on Battery, or just generic light dimming.
    The electrical mod is independent of the method of remounting the light assembly.

7. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

8. JonMulder

Perfect! Thanks for the pics!