Re: Camping is party time, not back-to-nature time

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by unclemark, Jun 26, 2014.

1. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Yep, sounds like the kind of thing we have found too. We stopped at one once where there were gunshots in the night. We packed up and left. The owner claimed they probably "shot a snake or something," but sounded more like a bunch of drunks playing with guns to me. I got the impression these were regulars.

Another one was full of old, junky trailers that looked like they had been there 50 years, with people living in them. More of a low rent trailer park than a campground.

We just don't go to them anymore at all, other than Fort Wilderness. [CP]

The no-alcohol rule keeps most rowdies away from state parks. Although the ranger won't say anything to people, on their own site, having a glass of wine or beer from a cup, discreetly around the campfire. It does give them the right to kick people out that are behaving badly.

3. bryce0lynch

bryce0lynch Member

This is the way it is for every rule, everywhere: they exist as a pretext. If you're on someones right side then you never need to worry, and if your'e on someones wrong side then there's some rules you're in violation of that can be used as a pretext.

4. Orchid

At times that's true, but not sure I would say always.

We don't drink anyway, but I have seen older adults enjoying adult beverages quietly at their own site. Nothing is said to them not because they are on anyone's "good side" but because they are not abusing alcohol to the point of being drunk or disorderly.

5. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

I think the key word is "discretion".

We joke because my partner loves to drink his milk out of red solo cups. He gets especially crazy when he adds some chocolate milk as a mixer. :D I really couldn't imagine a ranger or other official checking out what's in everyone's cups on any given night. Not feasible (or legal in some places, I would assume).

6. Orchid

This ^^^^^^

7. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

"We don't drink anyway, but I have seen older adults enjoying adult beverages quietly at their own site. Nothing is said to them not because they are on anyone's "good side" but because they are not abusing alcohol to the point of being drunk or disorderly."

Thanks a lot Orchid... I never considered myself an "older adult"..... [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

8. Orchid

As opposed to the "barely 21" crowd. [LOL]

9. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

If you are able camping in the early to mid part of the week is the best time and usually the most quiet and peaceful time but if you only have holidays and weekends then I can understand your angst but please don't rail on the family that has kids and it is the only time that they can get out and enjoy their camper. As for the loud partying obnoxious folks that is a entire different story. Quiet time is supposed to be enforced by the rangers and if it isn't then shame on them. I have been in this situation before years ago when I was a younger person and I am sorry for being such a jerk and not respecting my fellow campers. Shame on me for this!

10. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I totally agree with everything you said, but I think we all had our moments of being dumb jerks when we were younger.

11. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

Back to discretion, anyone with even the tiniest amount of authority can manufacture probable cause out of thin air.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Some considerably more than others, however.

13. Doctorphate

Doctorphate Member

I'm curious as to what kind of campgrounds you guys are at that you're having these problems.

I have never had loud disruptive neighbours in 20 years of camping at provincial and national parks. I've probably been to Oka atleast a dozen times which is arguably an extremely busy park and I've never had problems.

The OP mentioned needing to get electrical sites to find quiet? Its the opposite here, if you go to unserviced areas its quiet, its all tents and tent trailers. I've never once found someone running a generator.

Are you guys going to RV parks like KOA as opposed to camp grounds like Bon Echo, killarney, and Oka?

Its always been my rule of thumb that if anything bigger than a tent trailer can fit, it's not a park(or part of a park) that I want to visit.

14. Orchid

Actually, I was wrong about alcohol not being allowed at Florida State Parks. I went and looked at their site and found out that alcohol is not allowed in public areas, but is allowed at campsites. Of course, all other rules of conduct still apply.

But, even so, park rangers are usually not on power trips. In my considerable experience, in many states, they are mostly lovers of nature and kind, helpful people. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I will say that, in my opinion, it is very rare.

15. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

You're very fortunate. I have had my share of loud and disruptive neighbours throughout the last 12 years. Everything from blasting radios, to kids screaming near our pup at 7 a.m. to loud drunken partying well into the night. I only camp in Provincial Parks (Balsam Lake, Pinery, McGregor, Algonquin etc). This is probably one of the only years that every trip was blissfully peaceful by nightfall.

16. Doctorphate

Doctorphate Member

Kids at 7am I have had before, and while I do agree it can be annoying, I didn't have a problem with it because every time the parents were quick to tell them to be quiet.

Generally before 9am we're pretty quiet, making some coffee, going to the bathroom, etc before starting to make breakfast.

17. DSchulten88

DSchulten88 Member

I'm not sure if it was covered in the other 10 pages I didn't bother to read but I'm of the mind that camper camping is apartment camping. Unless you're boondocking and self contained you're not really out in nature. You have water hookups, plumbing, electricity.. That's not "back to nature" camping. You're in a pay to play white suburban entitlement camp.

Plenty of other ways to get out deeper into nature for the experience you're after.

Winter camping is something I love for that reason too. In cold weather I get to be the only butthole at the campground getting drunk and playing his music too loud.

18. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

Tons of people on this forum write about boondocking with generators. Trust me, if a campground permits generators on its "primitive" loop, the utility loops will be a lot quieter and somewhat closer to nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. DSchulten88

DSchulten88 Member

You're still stuck on the loop idea brother.

Forget the loops. You gotta go farther!

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Seems to me if there were generators on the primitive sites they would no longer be primitive and utilities indicate the sites are not primitive.