Re-skinning a pop-up

cowboiler

Oct 25, 2021
Oklahoma
I was at a hot air balloon festival last weekend and I saw these small travel trailers.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 4.11.42 PM.png

I loved the shiny aluminum skins and it got me wondering if anyone has ever tried to re-skin their popup with this material? The spec sheet for the camper says it .040 aluminum. There are no screws, so I'm guessing it must be glued to a plywood frame. Anyway, I really like the look and thought it would be a neat upgrade to the exterior of my 2008 Jayco 806. What do you all think? Would it be a big undertaking or worthwhile?

IMG_0125.jpg
My Jayco 806.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I’ve seen many people repaint their campers, but not many reskin an existing camper. Just the sound of it sounds like a huge task, but I wouldn’t know all involved. Also not sure if you have solid plywood inside your walls. On my popup there is Only wood bracing some foam in some parts and the skin.

geoffm3

Jun 21, 2010
I was at a hot air balloon festival last weekend and I saw these small travel trailers.

View attachment 87011

I loved the shiny aluminum skins and it got me wondering if anyone has ever tried to re-skin their popup with this material? The spec sheet for the camper says it .040 aluminum. There are no screws, so I'm guessing it must be glued to a plywood frame. Anyway, I really like the look and thought it would be a neat upgrade to the exterior of my 2008 Jayco 806. What do you all think? Would it be a big undertaking or worthwhile?

View attachment 87012
My Jayco 806.
All I can say is, get off your wallet. I tried to find some "stucco embossed" aluminum coil to match what came on the camper originally for ours and was quoted $1300 not including freight. I suppose if you can find a local place that uses aluminum coil sheet from a local supplier or a business that will sell to the public you might be able to get out a lot cheaper.

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
Nice Jayco! We are in the process of getting ours cleaned up and ready for paint(will be next spring). Removal of the old, tired pinstriping and logos along with a fresh coat of paint can go a long ways. We are planning on installing new logos, but leaving the pinstriping off. All said and done will cost us $200.

cowboiler

Oct 25, 2021
Oklahoma
Nice Jayco! We are in the process of getting ours cleaned up and ready for paint(will be next spring). Removal of the old, tired pinstriping and logos along with a fresh coat of paint can go a long ways. We are planning on installing new logos, but leaving the pinstriping off. All said and done will cost us $200.
We have contemplated that, too. You will have to post a picture when you're finished. I would love to do a different color on ours, but our vinyl is blue and white so I still want it to match when it's popped up.

cowboiler

Oct 25, 2021
Oklahoma
All I can say is, get off your wallet. I tried to find some "stucco embossed" aluminum coil to match what came on the camper originally for ours and was quoted $1300 not including freight. I suppose if you can find a local place that uses aluminum coil sheet from a local supplier or a business that will sell to the public you might be able to get out a lot cheaper.
I did find a place that sells the shiny .040 aluminum nearby (about 1.5 hours away). I was surprised it's only $130 for a 4'x10' sheet. I'm sure shipping would be expensive, but I didn't think the price of aluminum was bad.

Bowman3d

Super Active Member
Apr 13, 2015
LaLa land (SoCal)
You could always just laminate over your existing skin. I've thought about having mine wrapped. Maybe you could find someone to wrap yours to get the shiny aluminum look.

bluespruce

Jul 6, 2011
A second vote for considering vinyl wrap if the surface is smooth. Not sure it would work well on a pebble surface.

im building a camper right now and in the process of vinyl wrapping. Pretty easy on flat surfaces with the right technique. Lots of color and effect options. Probably under a couple hundred bucks for the vinyl For a small trailer.

cowboiler

Oct 25, 2021
Oklahoma
A second vote for considering vinyl wrap if the surface is smooth. Not sure it would work well on a pebble surface.

im building a camper right now and in the process of vinyl wrapping. Pretty easy on flat surfaces with the right technique. Lots of color and effect options. Probably under a couple hundred bucks for the vinyl For a small trailer.
I would like to see how a wrap turned out if anyone has tried it. Ours is that pebble surface, so I'm not sure how it would go. Our cut vinyl decal looks good on the pebble surface so it might work!