Really? Rain? This weekend?

wraenking

Nov 10, 2005
I was so excited about finally getting out to camp this weekend. 1st trip of the year as our lives have been hectic. I got about 4 other families to go as well and in southern jersey they are calling for rain almost every day. I am checking the weather every half hour. How depressing. That is all.....

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
Rain does put a damper on camping plans for some people, and DW and I are two of them. Others don't seem to mind. Here's hoping the forecast changes and you can get out there and enjoy the outdoors. If you haven't been all year, then you must be really itching to go!

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
No rain here this up coming weekend (Thanksgiving weekend up here) until late Monday ... Going camping with the family and have the Nephew and his tribe (wife and 4 kids) join us, they have their own site [;)] ...

mjsny

Aug 14, 2013
wraenking, I am with you on this one.

We have been looking forward to our maiden voyage for our new PUP this weekend in Cape May, NJ. The forecast call for rain all four days. I want to still want to go since our reservation is non-refundable and we have been anxiously waiting for this weekend for a month. Is setup and take down in the rain for four days of rain worth it?

I figured it would still be fun for the family camping out in the PUP and hopefully there will be some breaks in the rain for some activities.

wraenking

Nov 10, 2005
We are still going no matter. Friday looks the worst. I think Saturday and Sunday will be overcast with maybe some drizzle. Not enough to stop me. I would go. Setup and take down is not too hard even in the rain. I will usually do it myself while the wife and kids go off somewhere Just make sure you pop it back up when you get home to dry it out. I am bringing my 12x12 popup tent to have a fire under if need be!

mjsny

Aug 14, 2013
wraenking, that is the motivation I needed. I figure if I start cancelling trips based on rain I may never go anywhere. We are in!

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
Im playing the rain game right now. It all depends on who you listen to. 30 to 40% doesnt bother me much but a total soaking all day long sucks. I have decided last night we are going and now most stations have removed the chances till Monday. Im outdoors all day long kayaking and paddleboarding and must have a lake to camp around. I just dont want to put the camper up wet!! Keep watching the weather it might change. [SUN]

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Snow said:
No rain here this up coming weekend (Thanksgiving weekend up here) until late Monday ... Going camping with the family and have the Nephew and his tribe (wife and 4 kids) join us, they have their own site [;)] ...

Well wouldn't you know it ... went to show the DW what great weather we were going to have and the forecast changed in two hours ... Now calling for rain on Sunday but Sunny again on Monday before the heavy rain rolls into that area on Tuesday ...

jdubois said:
Easy solution; stop checking the weather forecast.

I think your right ..lol won't be the first time we've camped in the rain.. last year same weekend it was cold, wet and on the Sunday while cooking the turkey it was hailing ... at least this year won't have that ...

br00n0

Sep 26, 2012
Just think about the others who have already winterized their pups.

You are lucky enough to go out while others are waiting for next year!

So the rain becomes only a minor annoyance!

:)

B.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
br00n0 said:
Just think about the others who have already winterized their pups.
You are lucky enough to go out while others are waiting for next year!
So the rain becomes only a minor annoyance!

This is true ... I have never really minded camping in the rain, just hated packing up in it ... one of the reasons we went to the darkside a few years ago..

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
Go in the rain, and if you don't already have one get a Camp Chef FirePit or equiv. so you can still sit under the awning and have a fire!!

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
we may have rain Friday night and Saturday Morning but sunday is nice. Even if it rains it will dry out by the time we have to pack up. where I go check out on Sunday is 5:00

Jeepin Dad

Sep 6, 2011
So far it looks like we are getting lucky, knock on wood, and will be far enough inland to miss most of the coastal storm this weekend. 50% chance of showers Friday but the rest of the weekend is partly cloudy with only 10-20% chance of a pop up shower.

silverfz

Aug 8, 2013
its a lot of fun in the rain too. i brought my first popup in august .i have camped 12 days. love camping. we did a long weekend in the rain. it was a lot of fun.the rain broke in the evening for camp fire. rained the rest of the time.
a lot of board games , music and talking. i spend day talking with my mom......great memories.
have fun.

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Yup rain!!!
I'll be camping with the scouts this weekend in northern NJ. We will be dealing with rain as well. Looking at the weather in Cape May, it's going to be wet and windy. Just keep an eye on the forecast. They have posted a coastal flood advisory for tomorrow, but it may be extended into Friday since it will be windy.

Just my [2C]

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
They just dropped our chances to 30% late friday night. My wife is taking some games just in case. We have not been stuck inside the pup due to rain yet. I guess I will have to experience it to enjoy it. [8D]

wraenking

Nov 10, 2005
Well, according to accuweather, for tuckerton, nj , tomorrow and Saturday will be mostly cloudy with some rain. Good enough for me!

2ndchance

Jul 6, 2011
When God gives you Lemons , make Lemonade [;)]. You can make it work if you try some different things while camping.

Latest posts