Rear Ended on the way to the Campground

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by jonkquil, Sep 8, 2019.

1. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

I've just got back from my last trip of the year. Friday as I headed to the campground a motorist rear ended my pop up! We were about 8 miles into our journey heading south on the freeway, it was the usual Friday afternoon slow crawling traffic out of town. I really don't know what the guy was doing but somehow he managed to slam into the back of me! It was thankfully a low impact bump, but my bumper is totally bent which pushed the spare wheel bracket into my main frame so that's bent. We pulled over, exchanged details and we decided to continue onto the campground, if we couldn't pop up for any reason we would then go home. It popped up but the lift mechanism was juddery and making noise and the bed support post nub is now in a different position, so the bed was a bit skew-wiff. I tried my hardest to enjoy the weekend but I had a little cloud of doom in the back of my head the whole time.
    When we got back today we had a thorough look at the damage and then discovered the spare wheel is buckled and we can't remove it (so thankful we didn't have to change a tire)
    Luckily I had cell service at the campground so was able to start the insurance journey. They will be contacting me tomorrow to arrange an inspection of the damage.
    I feel super sad about this, my pop-up is my pride & joy. I will be gutted if they say it can't be fixed. Does any one else have any rear-ended stories to share and what was the outcome?

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sorry to hear about the accident hopefully it can be repaired a unit becomes a part of the family.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Ugh, that sucks! Sorry to hear that. I hope your insurance company is willing to work with you. It doesn't sound like you'd be inclined, but don't settle for an amount until you know what the extent of the damage is.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Be sure to check the hitch and tow vehicle - if there was any damage to those you want to find out now.

My first (used) TT on it's first camping trip. Hadn't even gotten out of town when I got rear-ended. In the middle lane with no way to pull over. We were at a stoplight, so I was able to get out and check things. The hitch and SUV were fine. The spare tire holder had been pushed into the back of the trailer creating a split down the wall and the bumper bent. I chose to just keep going.

At the campsite, found the wood framing had broken where the spare holder bent in. I ended up just caulking the heck out of the split and ignoring the rest. Used it for three years before I got the clipper.

Didn't bother with insurance as it was an older cheap trailer - it would have been definitely totaled and I would have been camperless.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of your misfortune... I hope there is a happy outcome for you!

6. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Yes, I was wondering about the hitch and TV, as we did get shoved forward quite a bit, so definitely felt it up front too. Any idea on what sort of thing I would be looking for?

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Look for any stress in the metal. Since you are talking to your insurance, I would have a shop look at it.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Usually if they total the camper , they will pay you and let you keep the camper or buy it for cheap money.

9. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Sorry about the incident. if its totalled you buy it back.
    As far as story goes. My wife rear ended the camper while i was towing. now that was a fun story.

10. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Man, that sucks. Hope the damage is minimal and/or easy to repair.

11. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

So what happened? Did it get totaled?

12. davekro

davekro Active Member

Did you have insurance on the pup, or is covered somehow under the TV policy??

13. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you are able to get your camper fixed.

14. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

I had my local camping center take a look and write up an estimate of repairs. I have a separate insurance policy on my p-up besides my regular car insurance, but was told by my adjuster that if the cost repairs are close to the value of camper they will look at totaling it. There is a 1 inch crease/dent on the camper body behind the spare wheel bracket and if I wanted that fixed I would need a new body panel, which isn't possible! I am willing to over look the dent, so I can keep my p-up from being totaled. They have estimated the repairs to be $1250, so I am now just waiting for the insurance to approve the repairs, which I'm sure won't be any time soon because I know what pace insurance companies move at [:(]

15. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Look underneath of it yourself and see if the frame is buckled.
    Look for cracked paint.
    Examine the floor closely, and see if any of your cabinets and such are out of square inside the camper.

Make sure the lift system works well and everything lines up.
    Have the TV looked at by someone you trust, who DOES NOT WORK FOR THE INSURANCE COMPANY.

My aunt was towing a tandem axle trailer behind a full sized SUV and was hit from behind while stopped at a light.
    Trailer wasn't hurt, her SUV ended up totaled because all of the force transferred through the hitch and bent the frame.

Car that hit her was only going about 35mph.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If you know how to use Nada correctly, you can see what that value is and have an idea of what the insurance company might do..

17. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Update - Apache Camping Center completed the repair (sort of) they beat the bumper as straight as they could. However, when I picked it up and got it home I realized that they have bowed it too far out the other way and the crank handle knocks on the bumper when it's being cranked up/down. It also looked really bumpy/dimply and they did not powder coat it, they just sprayed it with black paint as they said they did not have the facilities to powder coat. I took it back and they have had it a week now, I had a call today to say that they have figured out a fix and have decided to bend the crank handle itself to stop it hitting the bumper. I told them I did not want this and they needed to come up with a better fix. They just called me again to say that they can't get it any better than what they have done already, and he would either switch my bumper out with a used one in their inventory (but he doesn't have one right now) or give me a discount on what I have paid already. I have paid them $1250 which is the insurance money I had.
    I'm really not sure what to do from here. I need to calm down before I talk with them as I will end up yelling obscenities at them right now!!! I really don't know why they bid and said they could do the work, when clearly they can't
    Thoughts from you lot, what would you do?

18. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

The quote was for a said amount, they have not complete said repairs for the amount.....

I would ask for your money back and take it elsewhere.

Did the cars insurance that hit you, pay for the repairs?

WVhillbilly likes this.
  19. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

So, Did insurance total it? If they did, then it's on you to fix it.
    If they didn't, then I would involve the insurance company.

Personally, I don't know what I would do. I'd see how much extra he wants for the bumper (if insurance isn't going to pay). I think my threshold is about $2000 for repairs before I'd start looking for something Used that is a bit newer.

20. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I don't see how a bumper for one of these could be very expensive, it is just thin steel.
    I've done collision repair on autos. Beating something sorta straight and tossing some paint at it isn't how you fix things.

You could have done that at home.