Rear slide floor-plans?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by MaeKay, Aug 1, 2019.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

A7E3374A-8019-47B4-94C1-B00DF1D98844.jpeg
    On our last trip I talked to someone with a 2007 Jayco that had a queen bed rear slide and bunks along the front wall. And it was only 5500 fully loaded. I’m very intrigued by this floor-plan. Shorter to tow and store, but actually a bigger bed than most RV queens. And they all seem fairly light. Now there is a 2007 Passport 240qs that has DOUBLE bunks! That’s an AMAZING floor-plan! No one is sleeping on the couch or table!

They don’t seem to make this floor-plan anymore. Is there a reason? Was there a fatal flaw I should be aware of? $8000 for one like this is actually a pretty good deal in our area. Fully loaded it’s 6,000 (our current trailer is 4,000 fully loaded)

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I have seen similar styles. Definitely different and a neat concept. Since it is a slide it is all hard sided unlike a hybrid(my favorite). It does make one wonder why there arent more. Maybe people like more room in the living quarters.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I was looking at one recently, it sold fast as it was cheap. I should have went to look at it. I like the floor plan also.

4. Sjm9911

Oh and another i looked at had 2 slides front and rear , and 2 bunks in the middle of the camper. That sold fast also.

5. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

We have very little living space currently and that doesn’t really bother us. We just need more beds! We don’t even really need more storage space (although I wouldn’t complain about a bigger fresh water tank but we can last a week with 26 gallons)

6. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I do like the idea of hybrids but I also need (not a want, a true need) for a real house mattress and that would be too difficult with a hybrid. One of the things that helps my anxiety is knowing my beds are made and ready.

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I agree, I like the concept... much like hybrids (which I strongly considered). I guess I still don't like the steps involved in going from travel to camp mode. I still wonder about (any camper with a slide) putting in a wet slide... where does the water, and dirt & pine needles end up??

jmkay1, MaeKay and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sure rune our gradious dreams of something better. Way to go.........

HappyTraveler and MaeKay like this.
  9. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Haha, every time it rains on a trip we say to each other, “We are so glad we’re in a travel trailer!”

10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Not at all! These are just questions I have lol! If I needed more sleeping room I would have stayed with a pup or hybrid... but I am single and selfish and wanted only one bed. Looked at many "small??" trailers with slides and ended up finding this thing that had everything I wanted w/ out a slide... the simplicity kinda appealed to me. It would be a different story if there were more people to consider.

HappyTraveler, MaeKay and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It will have a GVWR over 5500 lbs.. Lop off the front bunks and you basically have my TT.. it has a GVWR of 5500lbs..

12. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

This particular one has an UVW of 4445 plus CCC of 1605, so GVWR of 6050. With 4 bunks! And only a total length of 26 feet. Can you believe it!

13. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I asked the owner about water and the slide and he said, “I haven't had water issues with the slide out and I've opened and closed it multiple times in the rain. That runner seal has worked well. Not canvas. It's like most slide outs on most trailers.“ Then I realized, duh, lots of TT have slides. I’ll ask my neighbor tomorrow about how their slide works with water. They’re our trailering mentors sort of. But I’m proud of myself because now they take advice and tips from us, too. I’ve come so far in not quite 2 years. (All because of this forum.)

14. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I honestly usually steer away from slides, too. Except in this case they seem to be useful. I don’t need a TON of living space. Shockingly when it’s just my two kids (we hope to have one or two more), the dog, and me, we never encounter problems in the tiny galley. Every once in a while when my husband accompanies me we get in each other’s way but we’re getting a bedtime routine down (especially the kids, I love it!) so it’s more of a planned dance than chaos.

A slide just introduces more areas to break. And a lot more weight. But this one is cool because I’ve been looking for ways to achieve almost a king bed in a trailer...without being a 10,000 pound 32 footer.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Sure - rear glide trailers were all the rage in the mid 2000s but interest only lasted a few short years because most prospective buyers preferred a conventional travel trailer floorplan. KZ offered several rear glide models but hasn't for years now. Keystone Outback still has a couple of rear glide plans and Jayco for years has been offering the X213. Most early models had queen size beds which forced a couple to sleep east-west so one spouse would have to climb over the other to get out of bed. Later models began to feature king beds which allowed a couple to sleep feet in and therefore not have to climb over their partner. Comments I've heard from those owning one of these trailers is the rear bed can be awfully cold and drafty when camping in particularly cold weather. Others had problems with the bed guides on the ceiling pulling out, some didn't like how the bed when stored would entirely block the dinette and sofa. We ourselves came really close to buying a KZ Spree 210RS but ultimately chose a KZ Spree 240BH which had a conventional queen walk around bed and triple bunk beds at the rear.

MaeKay likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

I was looking at this, not exactly whay you wanted its a hybrid. But 2 queens and 2 bunks.

17. Sjm9911

18. Sjm9911

19. Sjm9911

And this , which i think is about 6000 lbs loaded, a lot more $$$ but it looks nice Hi! I found this great deal on letgo. What do you think? Dutchmen Travel Trailer Beautiful Condition https://letgo.onelink.me/O2PG/251e8f4f

20. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I haven't had any problems but thats why they sell the slider toppers which are like awnings above the slide they roll out and in with the slide. Thats what they are for to keep everything off the slider.

MaeKay likes this.