Rear slide floor-plans?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by MaeKay, Aug 1, 2019.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

That hybrid with bunks is interesting. Too bad it’s 2,000 miles away! And we are stuck with our current trailer for now. I just love looking at floorplans and dreaming.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Do you find that middle perpendicular bunk useful? It doesn’t look like it has enough foot room. At least not from pictures I’ve seen online.

Thanks so much for your review! It was a good perspective.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

i would pass one the HTT due to broken fridge, gamaged table and no oven...

The TT looks good.. would double check the weight..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its heavy, i can tow it but dont want to. Im looking and with the season winding down in a month or 2 there will be more. And i agree, i never knew how many configurations they can make. Its crazy! There are a few hybrids with 3 bunks also. Im trying to not get a tent camper again. I like them , but i think for me anything solid is better. Im up as soon as the sun hits the canvas. Lol . I want to sleep in on vacation. Im up all the time at work. I need a dark cave to sleep in.

5. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Yep, that’s us, too. With reflectixs in the windows, my kids sleep until 8 or 9 am while camping! Wahoo! One of the most important reasons for us to be solid. And bedtime, since it doesn’t get dark until 9:30 or 10 during the summer but I can get them asleep by 9 most nights (which means we started bedtime at 8).

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

If/ when I have another trailer with a slide, I will definitely spend the extra money for the slide cover.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I agree, if I was to upgrade to a hybrid with a slide out I know I will have to get the awning cover over the slide. My last campsite was pine needle central those buggers got into everything. Thankfully with a popup most come down when the canvas does but your still pulling them out of the nooks and crannies. It could only be worse on a hard side slideout.

neighbormike, MaeKay and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The Caravan got Fleetwood into a huge legal issue because they didn't own the rights to build travel trailers with the name Coleman on them. This series of trailers soon disappeared also because the front slide leaked like a sieve for many of those who did buy one. As a former Fleetwood popup owner I wouldn't touch a Caravan with a ten foot pole. :eek:

MaeKay and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. GreyFox

My answer is "it depends". We've never owned any type of trailer with a slide until our most recent one which had a shallow sofa slide which unlike a deep slide extended out only 18". Although it would over the course of several days collect leaves, pine cones, etc it was a simple matter to sweep the top of the slide clear of any debris or water.

[​IMG]

10. GreyFox

Since we have 2 sons we never needed that third smaller bed so I removed it.

[​IMG]

It measured 75" x 28" so it would still have been useful for a child but pretty tight for an adult. The 2 rear beds were huge - 32" wide and ran the width of the trailer. Our 2008 model was a non-slide version, in 2009 this model was reconfigured to be 18" longer and 500 lbs heavier in order to accommodate a dinette slide. Unfortunately KZ eventually dropped this floorplan entirely so anyone interested would only find one in the used market. In retrospect I wish we had kept that Spree.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I thought the 4 bunk one i posted was very cool, one of the bottem bunks flipped up and you could use the space as storage from the outside. When at the site , remove the storage and flip the bunk down if needed. So it looked to be a thought out camper. I'm just looking now, not sure if i will buy one. The pop up i have is big, and there has to be many pluses for me to shell out 10k or so on a camper. My pop up is paid for.

neighbormike and MaeKay like this.
  12. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

GreyFox, thanks for sharing your mod! Very nice!

Sjm, kinda same here. Our current trailer is paid for, works well, and is only a 2015. We’d have to sell it and risk getting a lemon that was 10 years older. (We got a screaming deal on our current trailer) I don’t want to use the dinette table bed but it might be a necessity before upgrading. Plus we really shouldn’t be towing 6,000 pounds with our V8 4Runner. TV will have to be upgraded first.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We carry a 3 step ladder and a vehicle wash brush for sweeping the slide off.. I have tarped the slideout bed a couple times when camping over our Thanksgiving due to snow coming down..

MaeKay likes this.
  14. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I have the Jayco X213 with the rear King Slide, has the bunks at the front of the trailer. Bottom bunk tips up to carry bikes or cargo. Really love this trailer. Yes, when the slide is in, the dinette and couch are not usable, but the kitchen, fridge and bathroom are. Got caught in a traffic jam due to an accident and it was a lifesaver for my wife to have the washroom. She made lunch too while we waited for 2.5 hrs

Sjm9911, neighbormike and MaeKay like this.
  15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sounds like the twin to our trailer.. floor plan has a few downsides, but we like it .. works for the two of us and two dogs, very seldom do we have either kid or their GF's spend more then a night or two..

16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we were at the Hershey RV show back in September we saw the Jayco with the rear slide. We thought it was a nice trailer. But what we did not like on the model we looked at was that you had to remove all the couch cushions in order to slide the unit back in. Also did not like having to climb into the bed. But other than that it was a nice unit with a decent floor plan. I also looked at the slide itself and there was no need for slide support poles. It was designed nicely.

MaeKay likes this.
  17. GreyFox

Would have been a Jayco Jay Feather X213.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2019-jay-feather/x213/

18. silvermickey2002

Maybe, but I don't remember the model. But, like I said it was nice and we liked the length of the model. Something that would fit down our driveway and the parking spot on the side of our garage.

19. GreyFox

The Jay Feather X213 is the only rear glide trailer Jayco makes. As I said earlier rear glides were the rage back in the mid 2000s but for the most part have disappeared from the market. If a rear glide suits you - great, BUT you can bet resale a few years later could prove difficult if not many are attracted to the rear glide concept.

20. silvermickey2002

Well, it will be another few years before we purchase something (TT, Class A or C).