Rear Trailer Leak

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Fred&Diane, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Fred&Diane

Fred&Diane New Member

I have a 2006 Kodiak 214 Hybrid trailer. Love the trailer, and have had almost zero issues with it.
    However, the last few years I've been getting water leaking in near the back when I tow through a rainstorm. It never leaks while stationary, whether the bunks are open or closed.

It just dawned on me that the cover that my shore power cord retracts into, doesn't close very well. In this particular trailer, the shore power cord retracts into a small storage space probably about 5 inches wide at the back wall of the trailer, right where water comes in. I can easily insert a few fingers around the hole where the cord goes in, so theres really nothing preventing water from entering. If anything, I should find a better way to seal this up, as part of my water leak troubleshooting, at a minimum.

Question I have - Is it typical nowadays for the cord to just retract in like that, with no real sealing around the cover? My cover is worn a bit and just hangs loose, but there was never any weather stripping. Wouldn't it be better to have a male 30 amp (or whatever) receptacle flush with the side of the camper instead of a retractable cord?

Has anyone done such a modification? I'd send a picture of what I have, but the trailer is in winter storage so not easily accessible.

2. rsdata

rsdata Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Just as a test before getting too complicated I would seal the door while driving with blue painters tape. Easy to put on and take off and not expensive. I wonder if you drive with any roof vents open of closed? One way or the other might create some low pressure inside the camper and help suck ran water into that cavity.

Fred&Diane likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The plug end should seal. So that its closed when traveling. The other option is good, i have a male conecter on my TT now. I like it better. Also check the caulking around everything. I like the painters tape idea also. Others will chime in soon. And welcome to the portal!

Fred&Diane likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Many campers come with a sealed male receptacle on the outside wall. The power cord plugs into it.

Fred&Diane likes this.
  5. Arruba

Arruba Active Member Gold Supporting Member

My power cover is getting pretty brittle, and doesn’t seal well. Ill be replacing with a male ended model.

6. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

newer hybrids have a detachable shore cord. i don't know of any hybrid manufacture that has a retracting shore cord. my 2007 Roo 23SS had no such thing. just a covered female 30amp 3-prong RV female socket, which is the standard anymore.

7. WrkrBee

Covered male? Covered female would require the power cord to have both ends male.

8. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

9. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

you are correct, i was thinking about the trailer end of the cord being male.

10. Fred&Diane

Fred&Diane New Member

Thats exactly what I have right now. I think thats how water is getting in because the flap isn't closing well. So, Im thinking about replacing it with something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Power-Inlet-R...609994903&rnid=5264023011&s=automotive&sr=1-9 ( I can't remember what pin configuration I have, so that'll have to wait till I pull it out of storage)

11. WrkrBee

Fred&Diane likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This one has both conections you would need. The one for the camper and the end for your existing cord. Although you would need to wore it in. The one you had looks like an adaptor just for the power cord. You would still need to get the end for the camper side.

Fred&Diane likes this.
  13. WrkrBee

Just cut the existing cord, from converter, where there is enough to wire to the new receptacle when installed. Install new receptacle in camper side and wire to existing cord from converter. Install new plug on end of cut off cord. Done.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Fred&Diane and myride like this.