Reasons to Buy?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Blft_camper, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Blft_camper

Blft_camper New Member

I'm new to PopUp Portal and as of yet, don't own a PU. My wife and I have been long-time tent campers. I would like to make the jump to a NTU PU however my wife feels that we don't camp enough to justify the purchase. I feel that by buying one, we would go more! Currently it can be quite the hassle packing everything up for tenting not to mention the set-up time at camp. I've dealt with one to many rainstorms in a tent [{}=]to want to get up off the ground.What prompted you to purchase? If one of you was "on the fence" about purchasing, what sealed the deal for you?

2. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Getting off the ground and having a dry spot to ride out a storm other than the car. BTW, look for a used pop up if you want to really win the argument. We got our 88 Coleman Columbia for $700. There are lots of deals to be found if you are patient in your search.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

A PUP is a warm, dry place to sleep and you can stand up to get dressed. You will appreciate this all the more during the first rainstorm. You also have a place to wash your hands and face, brush your teeth and so on. You can keep all of your bedding and clothing in the PUP and not have to move them back and forth to the TV (tow vehicle) like you do with a tent. Set-up and tear-down times are a shorter but not as much as you would think. There a tent chores you no longer have to do but new ones you did not have with a tent like leveling, hitching/unhitching and maintenance. All in all, if you ask 100 PUP people if they'd ever go back to a tent my guess is that about 95 of them would say, "NO!"

4. wardog

wardog Member

It was air conditioning that helped my DH make a decision. We tent camped for years and were gathering so much stuff it was a lot to load and unload. Now most of the camping gear stayed in the pup and we only have to load clothes, food and a few other items that get used outside of camping. It has been great!!! I would make sure if you don't camp that often you don't spend too much but if you have a pup and it is easier to camp you might camp more. We do camp more often now with the pup but still not as much as I would like.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

You can tell the difference in our climates. I emphasize that the PUP is a warm place to sleep and dress because I'm used to the cold nights in the mountains or at the north Pacific beach. TexasCampers immediately mentioned air conditioning because of the southern heat.

6. wardog

wardog Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

7. mommabear

mommabear New Member

Our story is, Ive Always camped EVERY year, in a tent all my life.... i love it, now that ima parent, i do it with the kids, and they love it. when i met my DH, i had to con him into it since he is a soldier and spends all too much time in a tent dirty out in the feild.... it involved some pretty [;)] interesting negotiations and promises of late night activities on picnick tables... regardless of what roaming raccoons have bore witness to..i got him into camping- all aspects..not just the nights. he discovered he likes fishing and hiking and hanging out with the kids teaching them stuff.

Anyhoo, the year before last- EVERY weekend of the summer it rained, so we didnt camp much and sure enough the one time we did deem it safe to pack up and go..right after we set up in Petawawa- it POURED! fast forward to last summer- we schedual our summer getaway, pack up, drove 5 hours for a long weekend away camping right before he left for his tour in afghanistan.....the second day there..it poured...and not only was everything wet, the tennt ended up being in a huge puddle, the poor kids ( ages 13, 11, and 4 ) had to hang out in the SUV together....it just SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!

Fast forward to the last few monthes, every winter i get itchy to get out in nature again when im cooped up in the house with the three kids, especially sinc ehe wasnt here for diversion... so when i started talking about summer camping trips, he said flat out " there is no way in *$&^ that im camping in a tent after living in one in a giant poophole for 7 monthes...you want to camp- FIND A PUP!!!" So, onto Kijiji i went for 3 monthes, and scoured it, and looked alll over ontario. I had a firm budget, it was a case of finding one that fit. seeing as i was raised by a very handy mom, i learned all things are possible, so finding a PUP that needs work was fine. I have to gut the roof of the one i found, and ordered a canvas..our total output will be around $2000 including the purchase of the trailer and all mods im doing- so its a pretty good deal IMHO.

Main focal of reasoning-
    no long fear 20% POP in the weather forcast
    dont have to cram everything plus 3 kids and us into a Ford Escape!!!
    not have to sleep on lumpy ground
    not discover the tent is in a puddle zone
    it can be a "guesthouse" for company here at home LOL

Oh, the big one for DH...our trip last year..we ended up going to Opeongo Mountain REsort near Eganville Ontario.... we were the ONLY people in the entire park in a tent on the ground...DH felt inferior...we had stopped for a night at Lake of Two Rivers in Algonquin Park on the way to Opeongo...and we tenters were definatly a minority there too..... its like being the kid taking your lunch to school in a recycled bread bag when EVERYONE else has the super cool starwars or Barbie lunch pail.... All the COOL kids own PUPs!!!!

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

There are indeed many advantages. With a furnace in our camper, we now camp all year-round. A rainstorm doesn't mean we're in a tent shivering and hoping the tent doesn't leak; instead, we stay up, nice and dry, and read or do other stuff. We can make a pot of coffee when we wake up and it's windy and sleeting outside. We're also more comfortable sleeping in the bed than we were in the tents, even in our last iteration of car-tent camping, when we had a large tent and cots to sleep on.

Yes, you can keep much of your camping stuff in most campers so you don't have to round it up before you head out. As for the set-up time at camp, you may or may not save time at camp. From reading this forum, some campers take a half-hour or more to get everything set up; that's double the time of our tent camping setup. But some campers go up much more easily; ours is up in a minute or so, though it takes another couple of minutes to stabilize it, set out chairs, and mix some drinks.

Bad weather is another consideration; with a tent, you may well have leaks, and it's very hard to keep one safely warm or to cool it at all. Not so in a camper. Now most popups have some canvas or vinyl walls so you won't want to put them away wet and leave them wet lest you end up with mold or mildew, but there are hardsided popups that don't have any canvas to worry about; downside is they tend to be more expensive. I definitely echo the suggestion of looking for used campers; the cost is usually a fraction of the cost of a new one at a dealer.

We certainly camp a lot more now with our popup, and chances are you will as well. Except for some contemplated backcountry camping, we haven't even thought of setting up a tent again, and may well sell off that car-camping tenting gear.

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

We moved from tents to a PUP 18 mo ago because the ground was just getting too hard. Never had problems with rain getting in the tent but the PUPs so much roomier and comfortable to ride out an all day rain event. Sold the family tent 3 weeks ago but still keeping the small one for the time being just in case.

Setup time for us is not much different. If we're on hookups, A/C is great for hot summer nights. No more sweating and trying to sleep. The tent does seem to have had one advantage. We get more bugs in the PUP.

10. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Blft_Camper: I think most of us start out as tent campers - oh, maybe there are a few "silver spooners" who simply started out in a travel trailer! But I still like to consider myself as a canoe camper ... loading the camp equipment aboard a canoe and head on downstream and in my case I'm an avid fly fisherman to boot so you can see how they go together. Love to use the popup as a "base camp", setup right next to a river, then drive up river with the canoe & gear, then launching same for a meandering float down to where the popup was first setup, stopping off to maybe spend the night in the tent. Even if there is no canoeing downriver, the popup has gotten us back into some off the main highway places, maybe to a small lake or pond, or some mountain stream. Without a doubt the popup has got me (and us), to take trips and explore new places. Have even visited some "kinfolk" with the camper, stopping off maybe enroute and then even have "camped" in their driveway!

Obviously, getting up off the ground high & dry is a big issue, too. I'm now on my 3rd popup camper - had two larger types and one smaller one, an 8' box popup, and the smaller has been the favorite ... an easy tow, can easily get back into some out of the way places ... and could carry 750 lbs of cargo (and I really can tote some junk along!) ~

Here's how the interior of that small p'up looked - you simply cannot get that comfy & cozy in a tent.

(looking to the rear from the door)

[​IMG]

(looking to the front from the rear)

[​IMG]

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Ah Yes....DW and I went through this exact same discussion....for 3 year. We to are long time tent campers and this is our 1st season in the p'up. The frequency of our camping was a major point of contention as we camp 3 - 5 times per season....usually quick and dirty weekend getaways to the mountains. Here's our reasons:

1.) Beyond frequency, we have planned a few more "adventure" trips to places like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. Not that we couldn't do this in a tent....it just seemed almost automatic when we got the p'up to take a true "camping vacation".

2.) Gettting off the ground was a big ++++. We actually had a pretty good set-up with the tent and a queen blow up mattress but we still had to crawl down to the ground to go to bed and climb off the ground when we got up. The knees just aren't what they used to be, so I appreciate not having to do that.

3.) It's just easier with kiddos. We have a now one year old and things are just easier with the p'up than when we were in the tent. There's room for the pack 'n play....we can wash up in an actual sink, we don't have to crawl on the ground to change a diaper, etc.

4.) It is much more pleasant if you have to be cooped up due to inclimate weather (even for just a couple hours) to be cooped up in the p'up vs. the tent.

5.) On those same lines....better protection from the elements. I'm not going to claim leak proof or anything, but I've been in my fair share of tents with water poring in at the seams even when I have theoretically sealed them.

6.) Storage for the camping gear....and I can't emphasize enough how much easier it has made things to just be able to pick up and go. 99.9% of our camping gear is now stowed in the p'up. All I need to pack when we're heading out is clothes, food, beverages and a few odds and ends for the baby and we're gone. It's also nice to not have to unpack it upon our return...to only have to pack it back up in the garage.

7.) The looks of envy on your tent camping friend's faces....especially when it's time to hit the rack.

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Also....we too worried about the cost vs frequency of trips. Ultimately, we decided to buy used but not too used. We ended up with a p'up that's 6 years old and in virtual show room condition. It was above what we had originally budgeted, but ultimately we decided that proper routine maintenance and taking care of the p'up would ultimately provide years of family camping memories.....and that's priceless. I didn't want to have to deal with anything that I needed to put a significant amount of work into just to get it camp ready. I don't mind maintenance at all....I hate having to rebuild something though.

13. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip New Member

Age was creeping up on me like posted before i love tenting but laying on the ground and getting back up is getting painful, our 1st pup all we looked at was the condition and the layout. The added toys didnt concern me. But being able to plug in now is a whole new world [LOL]

14. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Ours was an easy choice since our tent flaked apart in our attic in Florida since we hadn't used it for those last 10 years (kids were gone, too hot, too busy working, etc.) and then we moved to GA and I was anxious to camp again. It took 7 years of getting DH interested in camping again and we got a NTU 1996 Viking with loads of room. Kids (all in GA now - they couldn't get away from us [LOL]) - still didn't want to camp. For some other reasons, we sold the PUP for a TrailManor after less than a year with the Viking and that's where we are today!

15. SkamperCampers

SkamperCampers New Member

Here was my rationale to convince the DW:

A little background - my wife would tent camp, but only for a night or two and we would never camp if we were going to a place where we were going to encounter other people (non-campers) because my wife just couldn't feel clean sleeping, eating, changing, etc. in a tent. So besides our few camping trips each year, we would often take little weekend trips a few times every year where we would stay in a hotel (e.g. MLB HOF, Cedar Point).

By buying the PUP, we could camp these weekends (since a PUP is just as clean as a hotel IMHO) and save on the hotel bills. Then I turned it into a numbers game:

Cost of Hotel = $100 (conservatively)
    Cost of Campsite = $30
    Nightly Savings = $70 per night
    Assuming 3, 2 night trips per year, that's an annual savings of $420

I then found a PUP for $3,000 and convinced her we could easily sell it in 5 years for $1,000 if we took care of it. That equates to $2,000 for 5 years in the PUP, or $400 per year. Based on the $420 we would be saving, that's net win!! Done deal.

16. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Before we had a PUP we tent camped, but found we had to stuff so much gear into the car it was a pain. For 5 of us we needed 2 tents, plus a shelter.

When we bought our minivan we had more space. But we were also getting older, and we adults were enjoying sleeping on the ground less as time went on.

We rented cottages, but they were a) expensive, and b) somewhat hit and miss in terms of quality and cleanliness.

My first PUP was less than the cost of my last cottage rental. That pretty much settled it.

17. Heywoodja

Heywoodja New Member

Don't buy the pup you won't enjoy sleeping in a nice warm (or cool) bed with real pillows and blankets. You also have to deal with having to stand while changing clothes and having most of your camping stuff prepacked and ready to go. The other downside is having a real toaster in the moring or being able to plug in a video player for the kids on a rainy day. Having all the flaps open on the pup so you can feel the breeze and view the campground whille sitting inside is awful too. Also don't forget about the rain soaking everything in a tent and how fun it is to move everything into the car after a huge rain. [:D]

18. Silverstone

Silverstone New Member

If you were to buy a PUP, you would definitely end up using it more. All of your camping equip is all stored inside the PUP, you just need clothes and food and your on your way. My DW and I have often, after a stressfull week, just decided to "up and Go" at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon! We even "upgraded" to a TT a few years ago, and we kept it for 6 months, and decided to go back to a PUP again. With the TT we found that we would spend our evenings more in the trailer and not outside as much. Bottom line. Pups are great! they give you just enough luxury to make camping really fun, easy, and affordable!

19. Pilot371

Pilot371 Member

I've been a tent camper for over 30 years. My wife also loves camping. We head out about 4 times a year.
    She was finished sleeping on the ground last year. We love the outdoors, but decided we wanted to have a little more comfort than the tent can provide.
    We pick up our pup on Tuesday

20. bella2010

bella2010 New Member

I love this mommabear....You are definitely right ALL THE COOL KIDS OWN A PUP!!