Rebuild pop up roof side boards

cbit145

Jun 26, 2022
I am looking for recommendations on what type of wood to use to rebuild the long sides of the roof on my 1992 Jayco Cardinal 8 pop up camper.

Darcy Parker

Jul 19, 2020
I am looking for recommendations on what type of wood to use to rebuild the long sides of the roof on my 1992 Jayco Cardinal 8 pop up camper.
I just used 1/2" Good one side Plywood. I was able to cut both sides from a single 4x8 sheet (angled corner to corner) for my Palomino Pony P280. if your sides are longer, you can get 12' lengths.

tfurgeson

Jun 22, 2019
I used the tree kind. j/k I used treated wood on my floor repairs, I'd likely do the same when I have to fix my roof... so far I haven't had to go to that.

I'm not an expert, but I am a firm believer you can't do it too wrong. Most campers are built with the cheapest products avaiable, so outside of weight you are adding with different types of quality wood... it won't be bad. As Johnelito suggested do a search many folks much smarter and more ambitious than me on this site that do things right.

2007 Rockwood Highwall
Tacoma 2002 3.4 V6 Quad Cab
Sequia 2013 5.8 V8 Primary Puller

Travis2020

Jun 25, 2020
I used 15/32 plywood from Lowes on my Jayco 1006 roof side boards. It turned out well and has held up great over the last two years. I opted for untreated plywood. It was still much better quality than the original wood.

Attachments

• roof.JPG
    roof.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 19
Jul 20, 2014
On my Starcraft (years ago), I believe I used a 1*10 board long enough to get the part all from one piece. I don't believe I used treated, as the board would be painted, and I would be sleeping under it. I detest plywood because you can't get good hold into the edge.