Rebuilding Palomino Roof - what is this trim called, and where to buy?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by steelerector, Jul 8, 2021.

1. steelerector

steelerector New Member

I'm new to the pop-up game, and naturally I dove straight into the deep end.

I picked up an 09 Yearling this week that needs a new roof. I've got a plan to frame & build a new roof, and have sourced most of the parts that I need. The only thing I'm missing is this trim piece around the base of the top. I got the bulb gasket that attaches underneath, but I can't find this piece that caps the bottom. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can try to salvage what's on, but it's in pretty bad shape and I'm afraid it wont survive disassembly.

Thanks!

I'll probably do a rebuild thread once I get going, to document triumphs and defeats. bottom trim.JPG

TheGreatOutDoris likes this.
  2. Rottiegirl

Rottiegirl Member

I have an 08 Pony and just replaced the end boards this spring. It’s not glued down. Remove the caulk from the top edge. Use a putty knife to run down the length to loosen it, there’s butyl tape behind that side. Bottom edge there’s small screws, hidden under the seal. Pull the seal out and you’ll see them. They come out easy, especially if the wood is rotted. You can always drill them out if you need to. You can sand the trim piece and paint it. I used JB Weld marine weld to fill holes on outside edge someone had put screws in. Just remove it carefully so you don’t bend it. I know of no place you can buy new pieces. Corner pieces are easy to find. But not this bottom roof piece.

3. TheGreatOutDoris

TheGreatOutDoris New Member

I'm starting my rebuild of an identical top. I was able to remove all the screws and pull it off pretty cleanly. I'm hoping to powerwash & scrape it down, then re-paint it. GOOD LUCK!

4. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 Member

Would love to see how you do this. We have an issue where the lift rails attach to the roof side panels and are debating the best way to fix.

5. steelerector

steelerector New Member

So it took a little longer than I planned, mostly because work got crazy and I forgot about this project for a while. But, the new roof is on and I was able to take the camper home so my wife can work on painting the cabinets & stuff next.

For the construction of the new roof:
    I used 3/4" Exterior grade plywood for the side rails. Since l used 8ft plywood, I needed to use a 6"x 1/2" 14ga angle to sister 2 pieces of wood together for each rail. This isn't the best solution, but it's pretty rigid. Time will tell how well it works..

I used the FRP sheeting they sell at Lowes for the sheathing on the outside of the rails - again, had to sister 2 pieces together, since the rails are > 8'.

I used 2x3s for all the crossmembers in the roof, and 1x8 for the front & back plates. I could have made teh roof section a little higher and used 2x4's, but I didn't see much need, since the original roof didn't have any real crossmembers in it anyway - this is already overkill, but I wanted to be able to mount solar and/or bike racks or something in the future, and wanted to know I had some meat there.

Glued & screwed luan for roof sheathing on the main roof. I used more FRP to build up the radius at the front and back. If I did it again, I'd plan a little better how to address that radius. The way I did it will work, but it left a little lip between the thickness of the luan and the frp. I filleted it with caulk to ensure it wasn't a sharp edge on the roofing, but still not pretty.

I decided to use TPO instead of fiberglass for the roof, mostly for cost.. I got a Superflex kit from RecPro, and that went down very easy.

I did get new trim rails for the top edge and new corner caps, but the bottom trim I re-used.

Now that the roof is on, I can start to address the rest of the projects on this thing!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

TheGreatOutDoris likes this.
  6. TheGreatOutDoris

Roof looks INCREDIBLE! What did you use/reuse to make the curves at the front and back? Have any photos of the framing you did before the sheathing? Or of the sheathing? GREAT JOB! I just received my rubber roof in the mail! I'm really excited to have a weather-proof camper!

7. TheGreatOutDoris

8. TheGreatOutDoris

Realized the top was a fiberglass overlay--had dissolved to a mesh--full of holes. NO reuse in site!