Rebuilding pup sides

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by CMBpup, Jun 15, 2020.

  1. CMBpup

    CMBpup New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2020
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    Hi All,
    I had cracks in the vinyl where the columns attach to the sides of my pup, and so the particle board basically disintegrated. My question is when I put it all back together, I want to either replicate the caulking/adhesive that was used, or something better. When it came off it looked a lot like plumbers putty (20 years old but still pliable). I’ve read on this forum people use marine caulking/adhesive. But which one? Also, if I were to replace the curtains, what do people use for the back of the fabric to make the shades darkening and provide some insulation? Thank you!
     
  2. gerryrobinson

    gerryrobinson New Member

    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    The putty is called Butyl tape and should be available at your TV store
     
    CMBpup and jon davenport like this.
  3. Vegas_PUPpers

    Vegas_PUPpers Member

    Messages:
    34
    Likes Received:
    13
    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2019
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hello @CMBpup , saw your post and we may be on similar projects. With the disintegrated board, are you talking about the side panels of the roof where the tops of the lifting posts attach?

    If so, those were completely rotted on mine too. The problem became undeniable when I had the roof lowered and I clamped the latch that holds the roof down for traveling, and the hook on the roof side panel that gets pulled on tore straight down through its mount in the side panel.

    I pulled the roof off in January, and then finding parts got CRAZY with this pandemic nonsense. I finally found a suitable roll of fiberglass to resurface the fresh plywood side panels I made (12'-3" long on a '99 Rockwood). I'm cutting the roll into strips this weekend and gluing it to the panels.

    How's your project coming along? What did you settle on for adhesives and sealants? To put the corner rails back on, I'm pretty confident in a layer of fresh butyl tape, and a bead of DAP self-leveling caulk.
     
    CMBpup likes this.
  4. CMBpup

    CMBpup New Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2020
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    Well I finished all the “essential” repairs and took her out this past Sunday! I didn’t go with the standard particle board covered with vinyl sheeting for the sides. I used decking material. Not sure if this was a mistake, time will tell... I know the decking material is weather proof so I just have two pieces of that make up the sides, no vinyl covering. It’s white so it matches up color-wise... I had to take the top off and replace the corners of each end piece of the top of pup, because they were a little rotted, so I just scraped off the rotten parts and cut out squares to glue into place, held by braces. When I re-screwed in the end piece brackets for the top (the part that accommodates the curve in the top), I lined them up as close as possible with the previous drill holes and screwed those in, but when it came time to place the top on the camper, there is a slight gap in one corner... I think I’ll have to put a piece of weather stripping in that corner or something.
    I reattached the canvas sides, after washing what I could in cold water (whatever panels would fit in the washing machine) and let those dry in the sun. And it seems like the canvas is a bit more snug than before... it’s tough to zip parts up, there are some gaps in the corners at the top of the canvas... so not perfect, maybe there was shrinkage in the sun(?).
    Received the tape to cover the screws for the rails, installed that. Got a new top vent, installed that but ran out of lap sealant so I had to use some silicone based product I had. Probably will need to cover with lap sealant at a later date, but needed to put something there because rain was coming every afternoon for a week. I reattached the electrical wires and the fridge and lights still work! And when I reattached a new propane tank, I got one of the burners to light! Also took it to get new tires. Ordered new beds from FoamRush and took the pup out this past weekend! The mattresses were great, very comfortable and made in our custom sizes. There were a few mosquitos that got in at night but it wasn’t terrible.
    The only issue I have now is the awning, one of the pegs is bent, and the part that leans into the side of the pup at an angle doesn’t seem to click in how I think it should (there maybe some part missing) I’ve been looking for new awnings online now but I’m not really finding anything. The awning is attached to the side rail by a rubber cord that just slides into the cord housing. The screened in porch that the awning provides is essential for extra outdoor space so I’m pretty keen on having it. I’ll keep looking... thanks for sharing details about your project. I could only work on this rebuild on weekends since I was working during the week, so it took longer than I expected.
    Still haven’t addressed the yellowing of the flooring. And I realize I don’t have a pic of the finished product! I’ll have to take one.
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page