rebuilt beds sagging-?! What did we do wrong?

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Rideswithchrist, May 24, 2018.

1. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Are these sagging so much just because they are heavier than the originals, or just because we put the stopper part slightly in the wrong place (and it is pulling out this time)

Hubby is ready to just sell it and be done with bunks... :/

[​IMG]IMG_4242 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_4243 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_4244 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

2. TRR

TRR Active Member

Yikes! Don't lay on those beds until you get that fixed!

I think I would replace the screws which pulled out with some nuts, bolts, and fender washers. There's obviously too much pull on the bunks for screw threads to hold in the thin plywood. But flat headed bolts with fender washers on top of the wood and nuts underneath through the angle metal (with some locktite or lock washers) will be much stronger.

If the bunks still aren't level once you've fixed that, you may need to make longer supports.

Sharkdude likes this.
  3. Fless

Fless Active Member

That's quite an angle on the supports. I'd recommend one of two things:
    1. Move the under-bed support brackets a little closer to the PuP body (see arrow in pic)
    1a. or make longer support pipes out of metal conduit.
    2. Have some support mounts welded to the tongue, closer to the hitch, then make shorter support pipes that are more vertical. Personally this is what I'd do.

42333095121_b3f957f80a_c.jpg
    _

jnc, Toolmaker13 and Orchid like this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree that the supports are not in the right place. They are too far out.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Check this video out. I'm assuming you have a palomino popup and this video shows setup including where the bed support bars belong. It might help with your problem.

Orchid likes this.
  6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Does your pup have two different size bunks? Is it possible you switched the support poles?

Sharkdude likes this.
  7. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

The support poles are the exact same length on each end, for a Queen and a King; that does not mean they are original though, the PO had some extra poles and stuff so it is possible that he just made some. I never thought of that because the 1992 Manuel is not very informative. We put the supports back EXACTLY where they were on the previous Pup. I always wondered about them because it seems that in the year models later, Palomino added a second row of bars to the front, connecting to the tongue.
    I've seen this video before- does not apply to a 1992 Palomino at all. Our support bars have only one place to go.

The original beds were 1/2" (or 15/32") OSB and when we replaced them, we could only find crap plywood and it was not as strong so we added a 1/4" sheet lapped on top, which made it nice and sturdy, but also quite a bit heavier. We took it for a week long trip in March and it was fine, but when we popped up yesterday it sagged, maybe from moisture in the air coupled with the back rail being too far in.

Since we sandwiched the top plywood on, we can't get those mounts off now so I guess we can make longer poles AND also make shorter front end mounts like the 94 models have.
    But when we replace the Queen bunk, we are going to get a slightly thicker wood and hammer the rail on or router the edges so we don't have to mess with this again.

Will update when we repair it. Thanks for all the tips!

8. Pozi

Pozi Member

Personally I would keep the existing supports but maybe move the attachment point closer to the pup body as Fless mentioned. But I would add a second set which attaches to the tongue. My Starcraft has the exact same setup.

9. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Queen side of our Starcraft 2107 has two sets of supports. One "U" shaped and two separate poles, both of these supports attach to the tongue. HTH

10. Fless

Fless Active Member

The easy test (and maybe final fix) would be to cut new supports that are longer and give that a try. Might be all you need.
    _

11. hq308

hq308 Active Member

If it's anything like mine the canvas takes some of the weight of the bunk. I also think it may be a case of the bunk has come out too far due to the broken stop, as the bunk comes further out it will naturally drop.

I would fix the stop (with bolts and mud guard washers as suggested above), attach the canvas and try it again.

12. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

As we looked at it closer, this really seemed to be the case.
    We are going to fix the stop and then see how bad it sags but we are ALSO going to add a second row of supports that connect closer to the outer corners, from the tongue.

The King and Queen side supports are the same size and are braced in the same exact spot (35" from the outer wall) which seems silly! I think it is a bad design so no wonder it sags.

hq308 likes this.
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you have somehow made the bed end a tad longer which has the metal supports slightly ln a different position to slide the tent bed poles into its slot... You should be able to move the metal supports on the bottom of the tent bed floor and make the poles slightly longer... Like others have said this would be a good excuse to go with four support poles on each tent bed end...

My 2008 Starcraft RT14 has four tent bed supports on the rear end. I have four slots cut into the rear bumper. Note these two sets of poles are different lengths... You can kinda get the idea from this photo... We always use this area on the ground to stack up some firewood to keep them dry from possible rain...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

My front tent bed which is the one we sleep in extends out over a front deck setup which makes a different tent bed support setup... It also uses four tent bed support poles... This is the larger of the two tent beds and we like the idea that we have the deck under the bed. Keeps Deers from walking under our tent when we are asleep... Keeps the wife from asking "What was that noise?" If was a SNORT noise might be a Buffalo trying out sleeping under the tent bed hehe...

[​IMG]
    Google image

having the two poles vertical really makes for a strong setup. The downside of course it make for storing things in the front deck area under the tent beds a challenge at times... I store my fresh water jeri cans and waste water totes up against the wall of the trailer and sometimes it is hard to get at those when needed...

Of course when you have storage area available who knows what is going to show up here - what a mess I have as shown here in this battery bank photo just in front of the front deck. Looks at all those camping goodies hehe... The sad part is I probably have a good use for everything you find there hehe. The side rails a great place to store my stretch ropes,,,

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

I agree that the double supports will help. Unfortunately we can't remove the metal supports now because we laminated a 1/4" sheet over the top of them. We did not make the bed longer, it was measured EXACTLY, but we did put the stop slightly too far in, so when the now heavier bed was pulled out, it yanked the stop out because the screws were not sturdy enough.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Sounds like you on to something now... Pulled to far out... Longer poles or move the brackets back haha...

Roy Ken