Recaulking camper

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Mtlangst, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

i ordered a 4 pack of Dicor 501LSW-1 Self-Leveling Lap Sealant i am assuming this is good caulk to use. About how many tubes does it take to recaulk a camper? Do you replace all seams everywhere or just the roof?

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Self leveling lap sealant should only be used on horizontal surface as it will sag on vertical surfaces - for those you want a lap sealant such as non sag Proflex. If this is a popup you're talking about you certainly don't need 4 tubes, heck you're likely to use just a small part of one tube for the roof.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Dicor also makes a nonsag. X TRM would have been a better choice as it will bond to any surface. But at any rate make sure you have cleaned the areas to be sealed good. We use brake kleen on a rag.

4. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Do you use that one caulk for all over your camper?

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

We use the self leveling for the roof and nonsag for sides. We also use Pro Flex around windows and doors

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I certainly wish I had used the DICOR over SILCONE seal for my 2008 StarCraft RT14 roof.

[​IMG]
    Google image

It looked like the oem seal was silicone so that is what I used to reseal the side metal trim and the roof on both sides here... The SUN UV's quickly eat up the silicone repair and allowed run off water get inside my trailer rear corner like shown here...

The outside of the corner has no damage but the inside particle board is all but eat up... The rear corner BUTYL STRIP actually became separated from the Diamond Plate rear side.

This was sitting in my drive-way for a couple of season where the roof run off was going to this side shown... Had no idea it was doing damage haha... I also should have put a tarp over the roof as well just sitting in the high sun for a couple of seasons unattended...

Live and learn haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. Pnut

Pnut Member

I just did mine and I used the dicor self leveling on the roof and dicor no-sag on the sides. I used acetone to wipe the surfaces before I re-caulked. That is what the Dicor site recommended. Be careful not to make a mess or get it on your hands because that stuff does not clean up easily.

8. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Did you smooth the caulk out or leave it as a bead? I have read where you aren’t supposed to smooth it out with your finger.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Does it bond to silicone?

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

NOTHING bonds to silicone, not even more silicone. [XX(]

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

UGH! We have a huge RV that needs caulking before being sold. Of course the PO used silicone.

12. Pnut

Pnut Member

On the roof I just left it as a bead, but the sides I smoothed it out some but I tried to leave a thick layer.

13. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

80CCBA60-83B3-4AE0-A8A9-C2351C8241D3.jpeg

I am in the process of removing the old caulk. Do i need to remove it completely or is it good the way it is shown in the picture a d go over this with new caulk after cleaning with acetone?

14. Pnut

Pnut Member

I would try to remove all you can but it looks pretty good. When I redid mine I went out past the old caulk with the new to make sure I got a good seal.