Recaulking the unit

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by ham fam, Jul 5, 2020.

1. ham fam

ham fam Member

I am reinstalling butyl tape, and using dicor on my 2004 Rockwood Freedom 2290. I have scraped all the old stuff off. What is best to use to prep the surface for the butyl tape and the dicor caulk? Soap and water? Denatured alchohol? Mineral spirits? Isoproponal alchohol? paint thinner?

Also what is good to use to prep over the old caulk? Where I would be adding to what is already there?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I just use isopropyl alcohol

3. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Most units are caulked with silicone based material by the factory. Nothing, nothing at all will adhere to cured silicone caulking. Only solution is to completely remove mechanically, as in cut and scrape, perhaps with assistance from caulk removing solutions from Home Depot, etc.

You want the surfaces to be caulked to be free from anything at all greasy. My process is to wash with strong soap and water, rinse well, then wipe down wetly with alcohol.

Practice laying caulk in a few less visible areas before working on obvious places like the door frame.

At this time of year, this is a start at 0700 hrs and quit after two-three hours.