Recieved my Orders going to Everett WA

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by armyguy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

Well it is official, after 3 years here in NC I am headed to WA (NAS EVERETT) at my rank 3 yrs is what you get; yeah I know an Army guy on a Navy base..lol, can not wait to do some camping in a new region, unfortunately our trip to St Andrews SP (FL) will have to be shelved if the dates for the move hold I look to report in Aug which was when we booked the trip for, but we will on the drive to WA be taking the Northern route I believe I-90, if anyone has suggestions of places to see I am game as we will be taking longer than 5 days to arrive in WA and work in some siteseeing..

2. electronflux

electronflux Member

Yellowstone is a ways off I 90 in MT/WY, Mount Rushmore is off of I 90 in SD. You could take a little detour and see the Gateway Arch in St Louis, the Wilbur and Orville Wright Museum in Dayton OH,

3. VA Caver

VA Caver New Member

Heading to Washington State...make sure your PUP doesn't leak. Not that it rains a lot there.... [;)]

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Devils Tower in Wyoming is about 30 miles from exit 185 off of Rt 90 west.

5. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Well if your coming on I-90 west you can hit Mt Rushmore , Crazy Horse , Devils Tower . In Montana I recommend in Bozeman the Museum of the Rockies , near Bozeman the Lewis and Clark Caverns are awesome you could hit Yellowstone and Glacier without to much trouble but it would be a side trip , the Madison Buffalo jump is cool , a lot of this trip is along the Lewis and Clark trail so there are stops for that . In Idaho, Wallace Idaho just as you cross from Montana is a cool town , you can ride the worlds longest gondola , and take a silver mine tour , check out Coeur d Alene , it's where I live , you'll see the lake on your way in , very beautiful lakeside town . Spokane WA is next , then you hit Colombia river basin before you start back into the mountains and drop down into Seattle. It's some wide open country and a great drive , enjoy !

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Armyguy,,,alll I can say...have fun. I paid my dues in a rice paddy

7. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

Thanks Joet I have 23 in right now, thanks for your service. Thank you to all for the ideas now to get busy planning this out.

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

ArmyGuy - Enjoy the pacific northwest and all of its beauty! Thank YOU for your service :)

9. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Good luck Armyguy on your cross country move!!!! I know it cant be easy to pack up and move the family all the time. Thank you for your service and good luck!!!

10. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Well everyone gave ya some GREAT ideas.... I was stationed at Ft Lewis myself in the 70's. Great area to camp. Lots of place to go in a very short distance.....

See ya around the campfire somewhere.....

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I often say, "Welcome from the great Pacific Northwest" to newbies but in your case I can say, "Welcome to the great Pacific Northwest!"

There is a lot of great camping here. Check out the Olympic Peninsula and the Cascades right away.

12. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

UT, I read your latest post on your trip and told my wife that is where I want to camp.

13. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Sorry to see you leave the state Dan .... best of luck!

14. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

Best of luck in your new home and thanks for helping to keep mine safe.

15. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

There are many cool things along I-90. Wisconsin has the Dells, lots of water parks and such. If you travel a little further West you will reach Fort McCoy, they have cabins and a campground. The Campground is really nice, state parkish feel with the resort facilities available from the base. Have a safe trip and thank you for your service from an Army Vet.

16. RangerBill

RangerBill New Member

Hi Army Guy. Thanks for your service. We go to Bozeman every year to spend a week with our grandson. The Museum of the Rockies is definitely worth your time. We usually don't stay at commercial campgrounds, but the Bozeman KOA is pretty awesome. Friendly staff, many nice shady sites, pool, hot tub, mini-golf, convenience store and a natural hot springs right next store. Riverside State Park, on the west side of Spokane is another favorite place to camp. Most of the sites with power/water back right up onto the Spokane River. Have a great trip. Once you get settled at your new station let us know if you want tips on great places to camp within a few hours of Everett.

17. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

Thanks to all for the ideas, being from WI I am familiar with the Dells, @ Ranger will definitely hit you up when we settle in. Bozeman sounds like someplace my wife and daughter would like. We will be hoteling it on the trip out, the Army allows me about 6 days to travel; 350-400 miles a day (safety thing) so we want to build a day for Rushmore Wall Drug ect... I think Glacier will be a bit out of our way but can catch it when we travel back to WI to see family. I will be towing the PU, my wife and daughter following in the Highlander with the dogs (like how I did that ha ha) just me, the Tundra and XM.

18. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

You might want to think about swinging up to Hwy 2 out of Spokane. It's a beautiful route, although beit slower than I90, and will take you right into Everett, bypassing the incredibly busy I90 route through the Seattle area. Have a great trip - and welcome to our part of the country.

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I would second that recommendation. You go through some of the best desert areas including a huge ancient wash from the melt of the last ice age. The town of Leavenworth is a nice place to stop for lunch or dinner. It is done up as a Bavarian village. Stevens Pass is about 1,000 feet higher than the pass on I-90 and the scenery is prettier.

20. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

UT and vjlarson, great call forgot about Seattle traffic I think that is a good recommendation something MapQuest, AAA ect doesn't take into account.