Recipes for Dutch Oven cooking.

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by dbhost, Jul 25, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Good day, and happy prepping for your next trip.

I am hoping we can use this thread as a way to gather up the sum total of Pop Up Portal members Dutch Oven recipes. Hopefully this works out and everyone is up for this. I figure using a centralized thread, that maybe mods can make sticky, can make it easier for folks to find these great recipes!

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Originally posted by @nineoaks2004 :
    Original thread: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/dutch-oven-orange-chicken-breasts.121954/

Dutch Oven Orange Chicken Breasts
    The listed ingredients are meant for 3 servings and are prepared in a 10-inch Dutch oven. You can adapt this recipe for a 12-inch Dutch oven by simply adding an extra 50% of everything or by doubling everything for a 14-inch Dutch oven. The ingredients are listed in the order they’ll be used.
    ·2 tablespoons olive oil or any cooking oil
    ·3 chicken breast halves
    ·3 teaspoons Dijon mustard or Dijon mustard substitute
    ·Salt and pepper
    ·1 large onion, diced
    ·3 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 cubes
    ·1 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
    ·1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
    Directions:
    1. Pour the olive oil into the Dutch oven and pre-heat to 350˚ Fahrenheit by using about half of the required charcoals at first, both on top and bottom and adding the remaining coals after a few minutes. (Remember, the ratio of coals for roasting is 1:1.)
    2. Cover the chicken breast halves with the Dijon mustard or Dijon mustard substitute.
    3. Place the chicken breast, skin side down, into the pre-heated Dutch oven. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle onion over the chicken breasts and place 2 cubes of butter on each piece. Pour the orange juice into the pan, but be careful not to pour over the chicken as this might “wash away” the seasoning.
    4. Cover with the lid and cook for 25 minutes. Baste once after 10 minutes.
    5. After 25 minutes, gently turn the chicken breast on the other side (the skin side should be yellow or lightly brown) and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
    6. Replace lid and bake for another 10-15 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer, check and see when your chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165˚, which is the temperature the chicken should be when it’s done.
    7. Serve on a plate with some of the orange juice left in the Dutch oven, or check the recipe for the mushroom sauce later in this article.
    This recipe will offer your chicken a sweet, but subtle taste. It won’t be overwhelming by any stretch of the imagination. However, you can use more orange juice or any of the oranges’ cousins such as tangerines, mandarins or minneolas, and more brown sugar if you want to “turn things up a notch.”
    As already stated, it’s the orange juice that gives the chicken breasts their flavor. But what if you’re not much of a sweet tooth and want to create your own concoction of something sour or bitter, rather than sweet? You can combine half of cup of orange juice with half of cup of grapefruit, lemon or lime juice. Or, you can forget orange juice altogether
    Also, you can add a pinch or more of lemon sugar to your brown sugar, if you want to experiment. Be careful to not add too much, as lemon sugar has a very strong sour taste that can be unpleasant if over-used.

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Originally posted by @nineoaks2004
    Original thread: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/old-time-baked-beans.122130/

Old Time Baked Beans.

2 cups Navy beans
    2 quarts water
    1/2 cup molasses
    1/4 cup catsup
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/4 lb salt pork
    1 onion, peeled and sliced
    Preheat the DO over hot coals. Place 2 cups water in oven, add beans
    and cook over coals uncovered for 2 hours , drain but save the water
    . Combine water and molasses, catsup , salt and other spices an salt pork. Add the drained beans, place all in the DO Place lid on the oven and cover with hot coals. Cook for about 3 hours Add more liquid if needed.
    SERVES 6

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Dave and Debi's one pot dutch oven sausage biscuits and gravy.

This is a one pot spin on a southern classic that is super easy, and hearty.

Equipment assumed.
    12" dutch oven with legs, or no legs and stand etc...
    Spatula, wood or stainless, don't bother with plastic they tend to melt in CI a LOT...
    Charcoal chimney.
    Long charcoal tongs.
    Lighter.

Ingredients.
    1 lb chub of pan sausage. I typically like a savory sausage, we use HEB regular pork sausage.
    2 packets of Pioneer Sausage Country Gravy mix.
    4.5 cups water +
    1 can of buttermilk biscuits. We use Aldi Bakehouse brand I think they are. Not the flaky layers kind, the regular buttermilk or homestyle.

Process.
    As always generate your pre lit coals. I typically use the +/- 3 method, so for a 12", I want 24 coals, with 9 under, and 15 on the lid. But we aren't there yet. Prepare your coals, with a few extras. I tend to count them and typically load about 28. Let them get to temp, and pour out on your work surface be it fire pit, or dutch oven table etc... Spread evenly, so that the entire bottom is covered and set the DO on the coals, allow it to get heated up.

Toss in and brown your sausage. The fat will render, but should not leave much, don't bother draining it unless your sausage is quite fatty, then drain off excess fat.

Add 4.5 cups water, and bring mixture to a boil.
    Whisk in both packs of gravy mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Move off of coals, and rearrange coals, now is the time to make the 9 under and set the 15 on the lid and set aside. Place the DO on the 9 coals.

Open the can of biscuits and arrange the biscuits evenly spaced on top of the gravy mixture.

Place the lid on the DO. Allow to bake for 10 minutes.

Rotate the DO, rotate the lid and replace any fading coals as necessary. Repeat for 2 more times for a total of 30 minutes bake time. At about 22 minutes or so start checking for doneness.

Once biscuits are done, take off of the heat and serve. Gravy will be thick.

ADDED BONUS ITEM. This makes this a 2 item cookware piece, but we like to cook a fried egg to place on the gravy covered biscuits as well. Not required, but very tasty for sure!

5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Muffins in a Dutch Oven. Originally shared by @SteveP
    Original Thread: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/muffins-in-a-dutch-oven.120420/

Muffins in a Dutch Oven.
    For a 12” dutch oven. Start about 30 charcoal briquettes

Hardware needed:

10” round cake cooling rack

Individual muffin tins 6:
    I use Individual cake pans, about 2 ½ in. diameter and 2 ½ in. tall. You may be able to find these in a hobby store that has a large baking/cake decorating department.
    These will probably work, but I have never used them, they may be a little too wide.
    Or you could use Enamel ware mugs. I think the 12 oz size would be about right
    Make sure you check the fit in your dutch oven at home.

Pliers or stout tongs to lift the individual molds out of the hot oven.

Any standard box muffin mix, prepared as directed, will make 6 large muffins. The envelope mixes, such as Martha White, will make 4, which is perfect for a 10” do.

Or
    1 ¾ cups Pioneer baking mix
    2 tbs sugar
    2 tbs melted butter
    ¾ cup milk
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Mix the sugar into the baking mix, whisk the butter, milk, egg and vanilla together and combine with the baking mix.
    Spray the molds with kitchen spray and divide the batter equally between them.

Variations:
    Mix in ½ cup fresh, frozen or dried blueberries
    Replace the vanilla with 1 ½ tsp orange extract and add ½ cup fresh, frozen or dried cranberries.
    Replace the vanilla with 1 ½ tsp lemon extract and mix in 1 to 2 tbs poppy seeds.

Starting with a cold oven, place the cooling rack in the bottom and arrange the filled muffin tins on the cooling rack.

Using 8 to 9 briquettes under the oven and 20 on top bake for 25 minutes, the muffins should appear risen and firm but not browned. Move the bottom briquettes to the top and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.

If you prefer to preheat the oven reduce cooking times about 5 minutes, but be careful not to burn yourself while loading the filled muffin tins into the oven.

It took a lot longer to type this up, and maybe even to read this than it actually takes make the muffins,

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol.
    Check for the duch oven rallies, ive never been, but others have said it a must do for the duch oven people!

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Beef Stew.
    Originall posted by @bsandey
    Original thread at http://www.popupportal.com/threads/beef-stew.112739/

Found this recipe and gave it a try while out camping over the weekend. I made it in the dutch oven hanging on a tripod over the open fire. It came out FANTASTIC! I found fire roasted diced tomatoes that I used to give it a little fire roasted flavor.

Ingredients
    1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, cut into eighths
    1 bag (8 oz) baby-cut carrots (about 30)
    1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (10.5 oz) condensed beef broth
    1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    12 small red potatoes (1 1/2 lb), cut into fourths
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 5 oz)

Instructions
    1)In 4-quart Dutch oven, mix all ingredients except potatoes and mushrooms.
    2)Cover and bake 2 hours at around 350 degrees, stirring occasionally.
    3)Stir in potatoes and mushrooms. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender.

11. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

These are two of my favorite dutch oven cookbooks....been feeding Scouts out of them for over 20 years

Attached Files:

SHFL and dbhost like this.
  12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks.

13. Tacoma641

Tacoma641 Member

I made Old fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits in my 12" Dutch oven for the first time. They turned out great. I'm just learning to cook in my dutch oven.

neighbormike likes this.