Recommend MI L.Pen. Campground?

smg_4hnds

Jul 17, 2018
Michigan
I'm in Lansing and looking for inaugural N2M PUP weekend trips this spring. State Park or forest with minimal visitation would be ideal since traveling with my Golden's. Thanks in advance! Spring's gotta be here soon!?

friartuck

Super Active Member
Nov 1, 2007
Perry, MI
Sleepy Hollow is close, but can be busy. There are lots of fields and trails to walk with the dogs.
Lake Hudson Rec Area south of Jackson is a nice and generally not crowded park. Semi rustic, meaning it has electric (bring extra extension cords as the boxes can be a way away) but a well pump and pit toilets.
Holly early in the year should be relatively open.
Otherwise, as you know, the LP parks fill quickly! Good luck!

smg_4hnds

Jul 17, 2018
Michigan
Sleepy Hollow is close, but can be busy. There are lots of fields and trails to walk with the dogs.
Lake Hudson Rec Area south of Jackson is a nice and generally not crowded park. Semi rustic, meaning it has electric (bring extra extension cords as the boxes can be a way away) but a well pump and pit toilets.
Holly early in the year should be relatively open.
Otherwise, as you know, the LP parks fill quickly! Good luck!

Thanks FriarTuck!! I foresee my Michigan camping season to work around the Memorial Day - Labor Day period, except maybe some UP trips post-fly season!

Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
Warren, MI
My absolute favorite time to camp in Michigan is the weekend following labor day. Any campground (mostly state campgrounds) that I've been to are COMPLETELY empty! It's heavenly. Last year we were at Burt lake that weekend, and had maybe a dozen sites full... Out of hundreds! Our labs had a blast, they have a dog friendly beach area.

smg_4hnds

Jul 17, 2018
Michigan
My absolute favorite time to camp in Michigan is the weekend following labor day. Any campground (mostly state campgrounds) that I've been to are COMPLETELY empty! It's heavenly. Last year we were at Burt lake that weekend, and had maybe a dozen sites full... Out of hundreds! Our labs had a blast, they have a dog friendly beach area.
Damned fine of you to share! Not sure I wouldn't keep that little nugget under wraps - thank you!!

friartuck

Super Active Member
Nov 1, 2007
Perry, MI
We also try to do most of our camping 'off season'. And rarely, if ever, on the big 3 holidays. Just way to many amateurs (and part time drunks, i.e. non professional drinkers) and as Matt said it is so much easier to get into the parks after Labor Day.

Kendrakay

Old tenters, newbies to pop-ups
Sep 5, 2014
Battle Creek, MI
One of our favorites is Pines Point NF campground near Hesperia, MI... Rustic but has flush toilets, large wooded, separate sites along the White River. A little early for the sweet tubing loop on the river though! Rarely busy, great for dogs, never had an issue there. Probably under 2 hours from Lansing, feels like the UP!
Edit: And, duh, should mention our hometown area favorite, Fort Custer SP, awesome campground with elec, flush toilets/showers, nicely separated wooded sits, very "up north" feel, only about an hour from Lansing...

Last edited: