Recommendation for generator for 11000kbtu AC?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by JasonR, May 24, 2020.

1. JasonR

JasonR New Member

Hello all. New to the pop up world. We are buying a new flagstaff 206stse. We live in Colorado and honestly won’t use the ac much, but want to have a generator that can run My 11000kbtu ac every once in a while. Another one of my concerns is higher altitude here in CO. I want to keep the sound and wattage down to a minimum. I would not be running anything else off the RV. Just looking for real world answers. Thanks.

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You just bought a popup with the worlds largest A/C!

tombiasi and xxxapache like this.
  3. JasonR

JasonR New Member

So helpful. Thank you

Chip Monk likes this.
  4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

5. JasonR

JasonR New Member

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I'll assume you mean 11000 BTU. To determine how much electrical power you will need, the units need to match. 11000 BTU is just a quantity of heat. The A/C units are measured in BTU/Hr.
    That being said, you don't really have a 11000 BTU/Hr. A/C, that's just what the manufacturer tells you. (More on that if you would like.) If you really did have that value, which we can assume for this purpose, you would need to supply about 3500 Watts. At 120 Volts that would be about 30 Amps. Best if you read the label of the A/C unit and ascertain the current needed.

JMart likes this.
  7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Wattage Chart
    Motorhome 5th Wheel and Camp Trailer Roof Top Air Conditioners Watts Required for start up Average wattage once running
    7000 btu RV air conditioner 1700 600
    10,000 btu RV air conditioner 2000 700
    13,500 btu RV air conditioner 2750 1250
    15,000 btu RV air conditioner 3500 1500

Looks like a 2500 watt gen would work. Thee must be people on here who run ac with a gen

xxxapache likes this.
  8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

You need enough generator to START the a/c at altitude and ambient (hot). Generators loose capacity at altitude and compressors use more power in the heat.
    the data sheet on my ole 13.5kbtu mach a/c suggests I need 1970 watts in hot test conditions but the compressor locked rotor rating is 62 amps. While the rotor is not locked it still may need ~40A to start. A 1800/2300w A1power generator will not start it even after I added a microair.net soft starter that lets the compressor come up to speed slowly using less peak inrush amps. Microair suggests a gen with 100cc + engine and mine is 79cc!

Your smaller a/c might start with a Honda 22 or 2300, it might not! it doesn't start all 13.5ks, I need to test mine sometime with my brothers honda.

I use a black max 3600/4500 noisy generator to run my 13.5k until I can get another inverter gen to parallel with my smaller one (sams puts em on sale at times, mine was $299 on sale) same price I paid for the black max on sale, both delivered to my front door.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach/service-support/document-library?docId=1590

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  9. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

I have the Champion 3500 watt, Dual Fuel / Inverter, RV ready generator. It starts and runs my 13,500 BTU unit (on propane). So far, I love it!! It weighs in at just under 100lbs though!! I didn't purchase it for that purpose. But at least I know It'll do the job if needed and in a location that will allow it running all night.

Chip Monk and BillyMc like this.
  10. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Knowing the actual model AC helps to answer the question. And if it's not on the unit yet, meaning dealer installed, you may want to looked at the 13,5K power saver unit. You still need a generator big enough to start it, but it uses about 20% less power than typical.

11. JasonR

JasonR New Member

Thanks all. It is a dometic penguin ii low profile. The specs I’m seeing are compressor rated load amps 12.3, compressor locked rotor amps 61, fan motor run amps 3.3 and fan locked amps 24. I’m leaning towards the Westinghouse 2500 or the Honda 2200. Interestingly, the Honda motor is a higher cc than the Westinghouse. I get the feeling Westinghouse is probably over promising and under delivering.

12. JasonR

JasonR New Member

Definitely not an expert but it’s hard to understand hands states 2200w max with 1800w running with a 121cc engine and then Westinghouse claims 2500 max with 2200w running with a 98cc engine? How is that possible?

13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Claims are claims. It depends on the horsepower of the engines. Some engines get more out of the displacement than others.

14. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Not sure I have anything smart to add here but we do have a Honda 2000 called something generator which we use at remote construction sites. We do not take it camping but these machines do rock in our book. Light weight, quite as heck, easy to start and operate at low fuel consumption. Seem it will even go over 2000 watts for a short while. I'd get another or any Hondu generator in a millisecond.

15. JasonR

JasonR New Member

Thanks for the reply!

16. JasonR

JasonR New Member

Agreed. I’m suspecting the 2 generators have about the same output

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If you have the space, funds, and ability to move it get a 3500 quiet inverter generator.

18. JasonR

JasonR New Member

I would really really like to keep the weight and size down. 3500 watt generators are just too big for what I’m trying to do

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

2K inverter gensets exist for this exact reason - reasonable power output in a package that averages ~ 50 lbs and relatively easy for most folks to handle. As one who has owned and used the Honda EU2000i to power trailers with a roof mount A/C I've many times recommended the even more capable Honda EU2200i which has replaced the EU2000i. Since you're in Colorado and expect to camp at elevation it's a simple matter to optimize the pilot jet size, allowing the genset to operate as efficiently as possible. Look at this as an investment that is likely to last longer than you are rather than a cheap buy that you hope will work year after year.

20. JasonR

JasonR New Member

This is extremely helpful! Thank you! Do you happen to remember what the Honda comes with and what you would recommend changing it to? I would guess most of the areas would range from 7000’-12000’