Recommendations for a small hybrid?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by nickap, Nov 14, 2020.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Delete

2. rweare

rweare Member

nickap
    You can consider a Aliner Exepedition. I have a 2016 (bought new in 2017) and it weighs around 1650 lbs and has a load limit of 3500 lbs for your vehicle.
    I might be interested in selling this Aliner if you are interested.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Expandable?

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hard side rear slide. Yes. Expandable. I was told its not a hybrid because its not a soft rear bed. So it falls under Expandable.

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

So if they slide out the rear they're "expandable" and if they slide out the side they're ummmmm "trailers with slides"? Unless you're talking about Palomino who calls their hybrids "expandables".

And then there's Fleetwood who called their tent trailers "folding trailers". Only thing folded in mine is the dish towels...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

If its a hard side rear slide, lol. Soft side rear slide is a hybrid. Or i just call it a TT now.

Ladiesman likes this.
  7. nickap

nickap Member

Just to provide a sort of closure here, having started the thread ... I just bought a hybrid today, from a private seller through RVT.com. It's a 2013 Coachmen Apex 151RBX - identical to the one in this YouTube video: . Basically it's very, very similar in layout and features to the Jayco X17Z, and has the same feel of quality - all solid wood cabinets for example - but it has some really nice things about it, like larger windows than the Jayco, and a double sink (of course then you have less counter space, but you can put a cutting board over one of the sinks when you need to). Arguable downsides: a manual awning instead of power awning (a lot of people seem to prefer manual though!), a non-power tongue jack (doesn't really bother me). A very big plus is a dry weight of 2,980 lbs, compared to 3,296 lbs.for the Jayco - and correspondingly, about 150 lbs more cargo capacity than the Jayco. It's in really great shape, looks almost like new - the previous owners took very, very good care of it.

So as you can tell, I'm pretty psyched! Of course, I did experience the "like a brick wall" towing experience on the way home - very different from towing the pup - but I was prepared for that. Overall the towing experience was fine, it felt very solid - and I got to test in less-than-ideal conditions, having to deal with a 2-1/2 hour drive in the dark through heavy rain, wind and finally snow ... The Subaru felt fine through all of it.

Final note on this: the cost was $8,900, compared to $16,999 (plus dealer fees) for the 2017 Jayco we were looking at - so I feel like we made a good choice!

8. Sjm9911

A power toung jack is only a 150$ or so. Its worth it. For me anyway. Good deal and we want pictures when you get it set up.

neighbormike and Ladiesman like this.
  9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I like this model! I will be asking for measurements of all kinds of things. :) Congrats!

neighbormike likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I like that floor plan. The one I was looking at the dining table was right in front of the front bunk. That would make it extremely difficult to get into the bed everyday unless I did something to table. Good luck with your new to you unit.

11. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

The Jayco 7 wide hybrids I looked at several years back required extra long legs, a stool or a good run with a high jump move at the end to get in the bunks. I and the LW have neither.

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations on the new camper!

13. nickap

nickap Member

Thanks for all the good wishes! Below are a handful of pix of the camper ...

P1050317_1.jpg P1050319_1.jpg P1050326_1.jpg P1050329_1.jpg P1050330_1.jpg

14. Sjm9911

I like the shower and the tolet placement. I can barely sit on my toilet! That set up gives you some breathing room. Looks to be in real nice shape.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Excellent! Can you lie down on the couch or are you too tall? Are 4 people comfy at the dinette?

This trailer weighs less than my popup AND is shorter! Shorter yet taller. English is so precise. :)

neighbormike likes this.
  16. nickap

nickap Member

The couch is only 5 feet long, by about 4 feet wide when opened to make a bed, so it would really only be good for small kids. You could fit 4 people at the dinette but you'd be bumping elbows ... I'd say this camper would be ideal for parents with children (an older kid could have the second bunk, a smaller kid would be able to sleep on the couch) or just a couple camping without kids, like me and the wife (our kids are all long grown and have no great interest in camping!).

17. nickap

nickap Member

Here's one my favorite things about this camper: the BIG window by the dinette. Check it out below compared to the Jayco X17Z at the bottom - you definitely get a lot more light with the Apex. Sadly, I don't think Coachmen/Forest River makes this model anymore; it seems to disappear from the brochures after 2015. But for someone in the market for a small used hybrid and who doesn't mind if it's a few years old, I think this is a great option.

window_size_comp.jpg

18. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update!

19. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

20. nickap

nickap Member

Yes, it's very, very similar - I think that is the one that basically replaced the one that I got. The main difference is that the 15X is 6" narrower - 7.5' instead of 8' wide - but somehow without reducing the bunk size. Not sure how they managed that ... But I'm willing to put up with the extra width since mine has the three burner stove instead of the 2-burner on the 15X. I'm used to having three burners for cooking up breakfast and losing one would have been a real pain.

Sjm9911 likes this.