Recommendations for camp stoves

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by romno, May 9, 2016.

1. romno

romno New Member

So, for various reasons I've deceded to ditch the indoor/outdoor stove that came with my PUP and purchase a traditional, 2-burner, propane camp stove that I can use away from the trailer. When I look at stoves in the $30 to $60 range at Wally World, Amazon, ebay, etc., I see fair to poor reviews on just about every model available, with people complaining about knobs that break, feet that fall off, uneven heating, poorly fabbed threads to attach propane bottle, etc. I see brands such as Coleman, Stansport, Ozark Trail, Camp Chef, Texsport, and so on. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good stand-alone propane stove in the $50 or less range? What brands/models should I stay away from?

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Basically everyone has their own preference and the complain from each of them would be vastly different. I have had several brand name stoves but they basically do their job heating, or cooking food. Depends on the pressure on each stove,, some are too strong some are just right some are too weak. You might want high pressure stove since you might have windy days when you cook...

3. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

I use a Brinkmann two burner table top grill or the fire ring for coffee or cast iron .

4. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

5. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

I have two Coleman ones.

I have this exact one:

[​IMG]

And an older version of this one, (without the igniter) that was given to us by my Mother-in-law.

[​IMG]

I honestly have used the crap out of them. They have been beat-up, tossed around, dropped, and even left out in the rain. They continue to work as I expect them to, and have never had an issue with them at all.

I also have this, which has also been used and abused. the top is dented, the hinges are bent, and it no longer latches closed, but still continues to work the same as it ever did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only issue I've had with this grill, is that you can't ever seem to turn the flame down low enough.
    Even at the lowest setting, the grill burns HOT, especially in the center above the burner. It's not really too much of a problem though. You just have to be aware of the uneven heating, and adjust your meat accordingly. [:)O]

6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

I find again and again the advice of my grandfather to be valid:

"Always buy the best, then you'll only cry once."

As applied to stoves, that means Coleman.

We have a Coleman liquid fuel stove that dates from the early 1950's and a station wagon camping trip from New Hampshire to Colorado and return by the southern route. Also have a well used three burner liquid fuel Coleman that was part of our kit in the days of hunting camp being based around big canvas tents. Both have always worked perfectly. Did have the valve and generator tube replaced on the two burner when the Coleman techie visited Boulder about fifteen years ago.

Were I to set up for outside propane I would get a Coleman two burner, and add a ten foot hose and an 11 pound gas cylinder.

7. sdn40

sdn40 Member

I know we're are in an age of convenience and propane seems to be all the rage, but nothing will beat white gas IMO. Burns much hotter and if you purchase a Coleman gas stove, it will last decades. I have purchased more than one and stopped before it became an addiction. The great thing is they can be had dirt cheap at rummage sales and spare parts are still available. Bulletproof is not a term I like to throw around lightly, but vintage Coleman gas is pretty hard to beat.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Stoves are so subjective. There is not one stove for all.

9. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I only use the propane cooktop inside for boiling water and such. I have a portable propane grill and a Coleman Grilling Griddle that I use outside for the main cooking. I have an adapter on my propane tank that lets me connect accessories that use the 1lb propane bottles and run them off the big tank. This way I keep the grease splattering and cooking smells outside of the camper.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I bought a cheap one from wallmart. Ozark,( I believe) It works great however the knobs are a cheap plastic and the inside of the knob can strip if you are not careful or they can get lost as they come off for packing. Im able to still use it by twisting the metal prong, just not as easy. So I do suggest to find something with better knobs.

11. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

I have the Coleman Party Grill. I only use it as a burner, not a grill. It boils water faster than the indoor/outdoor. But only being a single burner limits what I can cook on stovetop.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

My husband and I are in the old Coleman stove, white gas group. We have three, all 2-burner, one is larger so it was handier when we were doing chili suppers for 40. The others are standard size; one bought when we needed a part and couldn't get it before a trip. We have no plans to ever give up the white gas stoves. If we encounter another ban on white gas stoves (it's happened once in 2-1/2 decades), we'll just use the camper's stove, as we did that time.

However, if you do find a nice LP stove (Coleman or other), many find that they have more consistent temps when they use a bulk tank instead of the tiny 1# canisters. Some use a 20# tank, sometimes with a distribution tree (so they can use a lantern, etc, too). Friends of ours have a 5# tank, that they've used with the Coleman they wore out and the newer one (the brand name escapes me).

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

we have the 3 burner stove/oven inside and a coleman 2 burner and a small weber grill outside.

14. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

I would go with a coleman over Ozark I have two coleman propane and one Ozark propane they all worked fine but the colemans seemed a little better. I just got a old gas coleman off craigslist for $25 because its cheaper to run works better at high altitude and in freezing temps, i have had problims cooking in October cold at high elevation 10000 plus.

15. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

I've used and abused a bunch of different type of camp stoves over the years. In the propane category the bottom of the line Coleman two burner stove has been the most reliable. I've gone through two Primus dual burner camp stoves that cost way more than the cheap colemans.

My Coleman dual burners have been checked in the bottom of a duffle numerous times and been at the mercy of the airline baggage handlers across the country. Still burning strong.

16. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I have many stoves. Right now I think I have 10-12. Used have nearly 20.

Coleman fuel stoves are awesome on the main burner. A pain on the second burner. They are great in cold and wind and will get hot as #^]&. My wife hates them. Too many levers and pumps. We use an early 80's Coleman propane. It's superior to the new design IMO. The wind doesn't circle around it as much and the burners sit a little lower. I REALLY like this stove.

The new Coleman burners that have holes drilled into them instead of stacked plates have hot and off. The new valves suck and give zero control.

We also have a road trip grill that we use the most. We have flat plates, grills and stove plates. We use this every trip.

For trips on the mc I have A grill stove. This works well but the stove burner gets too hot.

I cannot speak to other Brands.

I hate little bottles so I bought a distribution tree and can run a lantern and 2 items. Quite often we have a lantern and road trip and Coleman stove. Pays for itself after a few trips.

Bottom line from me is to get an older used Coleman stove with stacked plates. You won't go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I have a Coleman gas stove I have been using for over 40 years and it was used when I got it.

I have a Coleman LPG stove/grill combo that I have been using for 10 years.

I have a Coleman single burner multi fuel gas stove I have been using for 15 years.

No problems with any of them.

18. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

After 30 years of camping (Tent for the first 29 years) I am on my 2nd Coleman. Only replaced the first due to damage from someone borrowing it and doing who knows what to it.

I would save and spend the extra $30 and buy a Coleman, if you do not drop anything on it then it could last a lifetime. If you are stuck on the $50 and below, go to some swap meets or a garage sale and buy a used one. You will not regret it.

19. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Like you we don't really use the stove that came with the pup.

We have:
    Coleman PerfectFlow 2-burner stove (This one goes with us all the time)
    Coleman 9921 (1 burner with BBQ or griddle)
    Coleman 2-Burner InstaStart PerfectFlow
    Coleman RoadTrip LX (Blue)

We used to have the Coleman 425 (White gas) 2-burner stove (donated to our Boy Scout Troop)

They all worked great!! The PerfectFlow 2-burner is the stove we use the most. Only problem we ever had was the regulator started to leak. Went online and ordered a new one. Other then that they all worked flawlessly!! When we get home from a trip I make sure to clean the stoves really well before putting them away.

20. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Next time yard sales are going on, stop and pick up any Coleman propane stove/grill for $5-10. Try it out and see what you like or dislike. Rinse/repeat until you figure out the perfect strove for your camping. You can also check craigslist.

I have a beat up Coleman stove from a yardsale that has a normal round burner and a "grill" on the other side. This works for me since I can cook a pot of beans on the round burner and hotdogs on the other (put a pot over top as a grill lid). Or if I want to use my griddle, the longer straight grill rod heats up the griddle more evenly then the small round burner.

I also take a small $15 end of season Walmart grill if I am going to be grilling stuff with a higher grease content. The small Coleman has the food to close to the flame and flares up.