Recommendations for camp stoves

romno

Mar 22, 2015
Thank you everyone for your responses! It sounds like Coleman (and maybe older, used Coleman) is what most of you are recommending. I'll have to go check out some yard sales and thrift stores to see what I can find. Thanks again!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
A yard sale is where I found our larger 413 Coleman. I see various Coleman and other stoves pretty often - sometimes junk, sometimes overpriced, but good ones are out there.I've even found ones new in the box - and managed to resist buying them.
With the white gas stoves (haven't has an LP one to know), there is some upkeep , For instance, the generator needs to be replaced from time to time (that time span if variable, at least for us). I found great deals on both of the ones we use in our stoves on eBay, so have several of each in the camping supplies. Came in handy on one group trip when one of the other campers needed one.

Byrd_Huntr

Super Active Member
Jan 27, 2013
Minnesota
romno said:
Thank you everyone for your responses! It sounds like Coleman (and maybe older, used Coleman) is what most of you are recommending. I'll have to go check out some yard sales and thrift stores to see what I can find. Thanks again!
Why wait? There are a lot of older, used Coleman stoves and lanterns on eBay. I have several Coleman stoves in different sizes and they have never let me down.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I have a number of stoves I have used for camping. I love the white gas stuff - infinitiely controllable on the flame, and burns hot when you need it. I have stoves older than I am that still work great, and they are easy and cheap to maintain.

That being said, there is a place for propane, especially when you have such a ready supply on the camper. I have a blue Coleman Road Trip grill that I love. This is the one that has its own stand, not an integrated wheeled contraption. I have double griddles, stove rings and grills for it, and it is my go to stove for most trips, although it is admittedly big and heavy. I bought a spare regulator for it, and modified it to work with the low pressure gas on the PUP. Now I just hook it up to the outside port.

Generally I bring multiple stoves - the Road Trip and at least one other stove, either white gas or propane. I have one of the Colemand Eventemp 3-burner propane stoves with the griddle attachment - it is great to use with lots of cook space, but the valves are finicky, with about 1/8" of actual sdjustments. Very difficult to get to a low simmer. I also converted it to run on the low pressure port, but I think it needs something a little higher, as I can only get the side burners to light and then only at a low flame.

Check yard sales, ebay and craigslist. Also consider thrift stores. I found a couple over the years at various thrift stores.

I ditched the stove that came with my PUP. It was too big for what it was, and I prefer cooking on my other ones anyway. Most of my cooking is done outside, although I will do some inside if needed depending on the situation.

tcanthonyii

Super Active Member
Jun 29, 2010
eBay is too pricey on stones. 20 bucks is the most I would pay for a stove, propane or fuel. Craigslist is usually riddled with stoves. Post a wanted add. You'll find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MileHigh

Jul 18, 2012
Denver
We rarely use the indoor stove. I purchased a Camp Chef Everest and it has worked great. It is more than $50 but if you use a 20% coupon from REI, it's not that much more. The stove has been used at altitudes of up to 10,000 feet and has a high output with the ability to turn the flame down to a simmer of needed. I agree with checking yard sales, Craigslist, etc.

Kettlebelle

Jan 25, 2014
We have...
-A Coleman Perfectflow 2-burner stove that has not given us problems or complaints (granted it is only 3 years old).
-Two backpacking stoves from Amazon, one's the Etekcity and the other is the Housweety version which is slightly larger. They've worked great for us. We have one stabilizer for an isobutane canister.
-A butane stove that we could use indoors in an emergency.
-Blackstone The Dash Grill/Griddle
-A propane firepit
We don't take all of them on every trip! Totally depends on our itinerary.

drosengrant

One Day at a Time
Jun 14, 2008
Mine Hill NJ
I have had many Coleman stoves and had no issues with them. But for Christmas I received a Camp Chef Explorer Deluxe Face Plate 2 Burner Stove from Dicks Sporting goods for 99 dollars. It works great and I am able to use my 2 large cast iron frying pans at the same time and the flame adjusts very well from fast boil to simmer and in between.

bondo54

Super Active Member
Aug 15, 2010
sleach said:
Were I to set up for outside propane I would get a Coleman two burner, and add a ten foot hose and an 11 pound gas cylinder.

This is what I do with my Coleman stove

Adirondack PUP

May 8, 2015
Upstate New York
Agree on the craigslist idea. If searching for propane take a 1lb tank of propane with you when u meet the seller. See how the flame looks. Should be blue with a steady hiss. Too much yellow flame means something isn't right.

hotrodcamper

Super Active Member
Nov 3, 2012
I've got a couple different stoves we take. We have a couple of Coleman's. Both wite gas,and propane. Depends on how long we're going for, and what we're planning on cooking. For longer trips,we also have a Camp Chef 3 burner stove,with grill box. This is also used when we are with a bigger group. The Camp Chef stove will be hooked up to camper this year with the Camp Chef RV hose.

tcanthonyii

Super Active Member
Jun 29, 2010
Adirondack PUP said:
Agree on the craigslist idea. If searching for propane take a 1lb tank of propane with you when u meet the seller. See how the flame looks. Should be blue with a steady hiss. Too much yellow flame means something isn't right.

Not much to go wrong. Usually spiders web in the air tubes. 2 times now I've had a bad regulator. Either way a bottle is good. You might get a discount for it being broken.

niagarafam

Super Active Member
Jan 25, 2014
We used to always use our tried and true Coleman, but once we got out Weber 2200, we have retired the Coleman. The large Weber is awesome for our needs. We use the stove and oven in the PUP for other things.