Recommendations for Locks

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'd focus more on protecting the items of value on your campsite. I may be naive, but I've never given theft of the trailer much thought. When on a campsite there is about zero possibility of someone going thru the effort to steal your trailer. The only things I worry about are easy to grab items like our bikes and generator. I keep the generator locked in the back of our truck so it's out of site and we lock the bikes to a tree or to the popup itself when off the site. I keep our bbq and stove out during the day and haven't had anyone walk away with that and find most campers do the same. I do keep a padlock on the coupler while the trailer is in our laneway at home, but that's the extent of my security. Every day on my drive to work I pass through mennonite country and they have stands set up on the road side everywhere with just a bowl to put your money in and take your change for the items they have to sell. No one there to watch and when I've stopped to get the wifey flowers there's been easily $100 sitting there in the bowl. If people stole often they wouldn't sell that way. The majority of people are honest. Knock on wood, I've never had anything stollen from me yet.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I'd focus more on protecting the items of value on your campsite. I may be naive, but I've never given theft of the trailer much thought. When on a campsite there is about zero possibility of someone going thru the effort to steal your trailer. The only things I worry about are easy to grab items like our bikes and generator. I keep the generator locked in the back of our truck so it's out of site and we lock the bikes to a tree or to the popup itself when off the site. I keep our bbq and stove out during the day and haven't had anyone walk away with that and find most campers do the same. I do keep a padlock on the coupler while the trailer is in our laneway at home, but that's the extent of my security. Every day on my drive to work I pass through mennonite country and they have stands set up on the road side everywhere with just a bowl to put your money in and take your change for the items they have to sell. No one there to watch and when I've stopped to get the wifey flowers there's been easily $100 sitting there in the bowl. If people stole often they wouldn't sell that way. The majority of people are honest. Knock on wood, I've never had anything stollen from me yet.

Same here. About half the time I don't even worry about locking up the bikes, and the other half we use a wimpy cable lock that could probably be cut with a good set of pliers. Kind of odd because my bike alone would cost about 3x what my generator costs if I had to replace it, and I'm pretty protective of the generator.

brettstoner

Jun 17, 2014
Toledo, OH

Good points! When we leave a campsite I lock our bikes/scooters together to the trailer hitch with a simple cable lock. Cable locks are worthless from a security standpoint (easy to cut), but they keep them from walking off with an opportunistic thief. Anything of value I lock in the TV. I don't have a lock on the popup door. Why bother. Just undo the velcro and reach in to open. LOL. Also think about where you camp and the caliber of people. Some urban campgrounds and campgrounds close to large cities I leave nothing outside and lock bikes/scooters inside camper or TV.

Latest posts