Recommendations needed for Northern Mississippi/Alabama camping

Discussion in 'Mississippi' started by cham5, Jan 26, 2016.

1. cham5

cham5 Member

Hi all. I am planning a week long trip in mid July to meet up with my son from the LittleRock area. We are from North Georgia so looking for campground recommendations for the northernmost area of Miss. or Ala. near the state line. Kind of midway for each of us. Preferably state parks but not a must. Need a nice shady site for my PUP and swimming/fishing would be a nice thing. Open to all suggestions. Hopefully from those with first hand experience in that area. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

Hey, cham5:

On our way back from out West a few years back we stopped overnight in Holly Springs, MS. We were tent campers at the time. I honestly don't remember what campground we stayed at anymore, as DH was driving. I do remember that it was later at night when we arrived. We just quietly set up our tent and settled in for the night and then left again first thing in the morning. As I said, I don't know where we stayed, but a quick Google search turned up three parks/national forest sites, etc. and all have decent ratings. I can tell you that if you have AC that will be a good thing because it will of course be a bit humid in July. [:D]

Here's a little bonus of something to do in the area. There's a creek north of Tupelo -- not far from Holly Springs -- called Twenty Mile Creek. It's been designated by the State of Mississippi as a state site; it's at Frankstown. Anyone can go and hunt for fossils in the creek. All you need is a sieve of some kind -- even a pasta strainer will do, and a shovel. You wade up the creek -- carefully if the water is higher, because there's lots of boulders, concretions, in the area where you enter the water that are hidden under higher water -- and pick a spot to shovel some sand. Upstream is generally better. You can click the link and read about it and also do your own Google search of the area. It's something a little different to try out. It also looks like you can do some fishing at the camping areas in Holly Springs, by the way.

The Twenty Mile Creek site can be easily missed if you're not familiar with the area. If you click on the link and go down to the comments, someone posted the directions to find the spot.

http://magsfieldguide.blogspot.com/2007/07/upper-cretaceous-fossils-of-frankstown.html

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Try the Pickwick Damn Campground, it's right on the very southern edge of Tn just a couple minutes north of the Ms. state line....

4. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

6. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Check out Tishomingo State Park in Tishomingo, MS. It is bisected by the Natchez Trace Parkway. The last few times I have been there, the lake was really low but they have a swimming pool and canoe trips down Bear Creek you can do. We really enjoy that park.

J.P. Coleman State Park is supposed to be nice too, but I have never been there. My impression is that it's great if you have a boat, but we don't, so not sure how much fun we could have along Pickwick Lake without one.