recommendations on appliances for kitchen

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by rachelmoylan@hotmail.com, Jul 21, 2016.

1. rachelmoylan@hotmail.com

rachelmoylan@hotmail.com New Member

hi campers

Just got a 2002 Coleman pop up and i am thinking it has room for some kitchen appliances, im wondering what people find most useful, brands size and price also as these can vary greatly (microwaves, toaster oven etc). Any feedback appreciated.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Do you always camp with power? I'd so, whatever you have that you use a lot might be a good place to begin. Try the In the Cooking section, this might be the area to start:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=84.0
    Some people seem to use toaster ovens, microwaves, and crockpots with success. We generally dry camp, and both of our pups were small, so we limited our use of small appliances. When we knew we'd have power, we tried an electric skillet and/or toaster oven on a couple of trips. For us, it wasn't worth trying to find space to tote them. (Our pups were a tiny 6' box and a slightly larger 8' one, so space in them and the tow vehicle was at a premium.)
    Our TT came with a microwave installed, so we do use it when we have power. Otherwise, we use it as dry storage. We're not in camp long enough to cook in a Crockpot, and would not leave it cooking while away from camp, especially in a pup or outside cooking area (bears, squirrels, ravens, etc.). I just got one of the Instant Pot electric pressure cookers. If it works well, we may see if it is worth the space on longer trips if we will have power at a point when it will be handy. With just two of us, leftovers were never useful until we got a 'fridge and freezer that worked well in the TT. I plan to drive across the country this fall, to visit family, so will have a couple of weeks of overnight stops, most with power. I may take a medium-sized toaster oven, since there are some things that I'd prefer to heat in that rather than the microwave, we'll see how packing space goes.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We travel light, But have a few appliance that we like.

- coffee peculator (both elec and stove top for dry camping).
    - toaster for a treat when we have elec.
    - oven is almost a must for us, we had the colemen stove top, then camp chief, now a built in oven

But that for us.

4. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

We basically have no house hold appliances. For kitchen we mainly use a road trip grill. We have flat, grill and stove grates. We also have a Coleman propane stove we use for later meals.

For coffee we have a Coleman coffee maker that looks like a household unit but is made for a Coleman stove. We have pos pans etc and a Coleman stove oven. That's it.

Everyone is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a pretty well equipped kitchen in mine. However I cook outside. I removed the original stove in order to gain counter space. Inside I have an extra fridge, microwave and ice maker, along with a small 4 cup coffee maker. I personally do not like coffee, I have it in case guests need it, and it works great to get hot water for tea or hot chocolate.

Outside I have a couple chuck boxes and tables. I use a Coleman road trip grill that I modded to work off the camper low pressure propane connection. I also have an extra Coleman white gas stove. If I am cooking for a larger group I have an extra 3 burner stove I will bring as well.

The road trip has griddle, grill and stove grates. I just swap out as needed.

I also have a small convection oven that is great. I use it to cook pizzas, biscuits, cinnamon rolls and so on.

Just about everything was purchased at garage sales, thrift stores or Craigslist.

I only camp with water and electric, mainly at state or national parks. I get enough non luxury camping with my son in his boy scout campouts.

I am on a week long stay with my son right now and have used everything except the coffee maker.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

As far as electrical appliances, I really only have two that I can use when we have power:

- A crock pot
    - An electric water kettle

I got a smaller 2-3 quart crock pot at Walmart. My Rival electric kettle boils water much faster than on the stove, and I can boil water inside for coffee or hot chocolate on those cool rainy nights.

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the type of cooking you do. I have the three burner indoor/outdoor stove that came with the pup, a baby Weber grill, a dutch oven, and a coffee maker. With those, I can make just about anything.

When I'm on the road for business, I carry an electric skillet, a hot plate, a sauce pan, and sometimes a coffee pot (depending on what the hotel provides). With that setup, I can cook most things. For a while, I was just taking the electric skillet with me. That kind of limited my choices for dinner, but it was ok for trips of less than 30 days.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The only appliance I keep In the trailer is a toaster. Im going to buy a small Kurik coffee maker for those days I camp with electricity. Occasionally I bring my crockpot but not often. I do a lot of dry camping so, dutch oven, pie iron, and grill grate is pretty much all I use. Coffee is from my percolator

9. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

1st and foremost some type of communication device so you can visit the Portal while waiting on dinner to get done.
    Questions for me is what is your cooking style at home? Enjoy gourmet meals or want something quick after a day playing outdoors? How many you planning on cooking for? What other type of cooking will you be doing? campfire, stove, grille dutch oven?

We have 30 years in P'ups last 6 in a Hybrid, enjoy cooking, good food and have carried many different items over the years. Currently we have a fridge and microwave from the factory....Microwave is used mostly for storage....and just added a small Ninja Bullet.... was a Xmas gift last year and got tossed in to get it off the cabinet, still un opened.
    We at times will bring a crockpot, have several sizes depending on how many folks are coming.

The DW says that if allowed only ONE electric kitchen appliance....A convection toaster oven that would take a 12 in pizza....(The truth is that the one in our home kitchen was bought for our old P'up and resided there many years)

And Welcome to the Portal

10. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We have indoor and outdoor stoves, refrigerator, over, and microwave, all of which are built in and came with the pup. Other than that the only appliance we have is a coffeemaker, for when we have power. Our toaster is a Coleman, with the wire bales that pop up.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

the goal is to travel light and cook outside as much as possible.

I have:
    Kurieg water kettle that boils water
    crock pot
    large skittle

I noticed that I cannot use Kurieg kettle and skittle at the same time unless I use extension cord for the kettle and plug in the power box if it has extra plug.

I mostly use exterior stove and campfire for cooking.

12. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

I don't keep any appliances in the pup. I'm lucky enough to be able to keep my pup in my garage, I have a large storage shelf in the garage with a collection of all the possible appliances I might need for camping. So depending if we have electricity or not depends on what I might pack. Sometimes we camp with a group of friends and sometimes it's just DH and me, that's a big factor on what I might need. Also depends on what we have planned to eat. I bought a microwave on Craigslist but only took it once, it really wasn't worth the hassle. An electric kettle is a must for me if we have hook up (I'm English...need my cuppa T) One of my best buys was a single electric burner, bought from Ross for $7.99 I use it all the time, inside and out.
    So think about what you are planning to eat during your trips and figure out from that what appliances you need, it may take a couple of trips to work it all out!

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

In our pup we had an old 1950s toaster. Coffeemaker. 2 desktop fans. Tv...

In the TT we have all the above plus crockpot. Keurig. Dvd player and microwave. ...

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Coffee Pot
    Microwave
    Toaster Oven (may switch out for convection oven)
    Crock Pot

15. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

I kept the appliance count down, three burner LP stove and a grill.

But load up on cook ware,
    Coffee pot, 2 fry pans, 3 pots, a spare kettle
    Prep bowls, dish drainer, colander, 2 cutting boards, four knives, mixing soon etc.
    A water cooler, and a tea pitcher.
    Dishes and place settings.

Our tent was usually the kitchen, and I have kept that model with the PUP.
    Only thing I have really not brought over to the PUP is the Colman since top oven. And I've not found a griddle that fits my LP stove.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes, we too are still keeping the appliances down. I have power for the traveling portion of my current trip, but have stayed with just the microwave.

@Kb2yht, we found a Nordicware griddle that fits nicely on the LP stove. I think it will work on the campstove too, but we haven't tried it, yet. We have to stovetop oven too, but haven't used it since we did group trips for church. I keep saying that we might as well use it, since we have it, but then we don't pick foods that we need to cook in it.

17. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

All the time:
    Coleman combo grill/single burner stove
    Dutch oven
    (Use a percolator for coffee on the stove burner)

With electric:
    Toaster oven
    Crock pot