Recommendations on Camping with Dogs

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by smg_4hnds, Jul 19, 2018.

1. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

I am not really big on dogs, but I do not mind leashed and quiet dogs close to me especially at the hand of courteous owners. What I do mind more than a errant and friendly dog, are kids that parents let run through other peoples sites and cause problems to, then act like you are the one with a problem. I always start out courteous when trying to point out issues to offenders, nine times out of ten they get butt-hurt. I have a 3 year old daughter; we still have fun, but we respect the space and peace of others. I feel for the OP having to deal with the awkward weekend following their confrontation.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Last summer I was camping and kids were running around my site to get to the creek. At one point a girl about 8 chose to run through my site - right along the side of my clipper and in through the middle of my site. My Bat-dog saw her as she came towards us. Bat-dog was on a leash, but started barking at the girl before I even knew she was there. She froze in shock. She'll never run through another campsite again. :)

The other kids were great. I just defined a boundary that they could easily deal with. They stayed on their side of the boundary (boulders and trees) unless they asked and got permission from me. And their parents were all great about it and thanked me profusely for "putting up with the kids" for the entire weekend. It was a very nice experience.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Last summer I was camping and kids were running around my site to get to the creek. At one point a girl about 8 chose to run through my site - right along the side of my clipper and in through the middle of my site. My Bat-dog saw her as she came towards us. Bat-dog was on a leash, but started barking at the girl before I even knew she was there. She froze in shock. She'll never run through another campsite again. :)

The other kids were great. I just defined a boundary that they could easily deal with. They stayed on their side of the boundary (boulders and trees) unless they asked and got permission from me. And their parents were all great about it and thanked me profusely for "putting up with the kids" for the entire weekend. It was a very nice experience.

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Well, my dog is perfectly behaved.

Probably because I keep him on a short leash. :p

5. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

This is what we use

Attached Files: