Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Tedscilla, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Tedscilla

Tedscilla New Member

Does anybody have any suggestions about camping in Washington State?

There are a ton of sites, but we plan all week to go camping and end up towing the trailer home, as all the grounds are filled up!

We occasionally reserve a place, but it's rare that we have money when it's time to reserve!

One thing we noticed, though, is that people tend to reserve sites and not show up for the reservation. That makes me wonder if it is possible to reserve sites with no money down!?

2. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Where are you looking and what are you looking for? I can probably give you some tips, but I need to know some specifics. :)

Generally speaking, it's way easier to get a site east of the Cascades. If you are willing to do first-come, first-served, there are a lot of opportunities over there.

We've seen what you mention about people not showing up, especially at the forest service sites near Mt. Rainier. It's frustrating, to be sure.

In terms of state parks, I can probably give you some ideas, but I'd like to know what in particular you are looking for and where.

3. Tedscilla

Tedscilla New Member

Heya, MsMac!

We made it to a campsite!

Well, what I am looking for is a place away from town!! I just want to pop the camper up , set up the lawn chairs, build a fire, and stare into space! I want to forget about the mortgage, ignore the water bill, take no notice of the power bill, not even think about car payments, maintenance or insurance, and forget I even have a job!!

I short ... I don't care!!

Eventually, Monday comes and the flood of mental crapola returns, but by that time, I have been reset, as has my wife!

We found a place out on Mountain Loop Highway in Mt. Baker - Snoqualmie.

Thank you immensely for replying, and we hope to meet you camping, sometime!

Ted and 'Scilla!

P.S. We did Wenatchee a few weeks back; nice place! We like Eastern Washington.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

At the end of the camping season, start a "camping fund" - estimate your camping fees for the next season, add about $50, and start setting it aside as you can each month. Then, when it's time to make reservations for the next season you'll have some funds set aside.

Try national forest campgrounds.

Look at the reservation policies for the campground. Here in California, the NFS campgrounds have a policy "you must camp the first night of the reservation or you lose the entire stay". If the campground isn't hosted, a reservation tag may remain on the site, but if the folks didn't arrive that first night, the site is up for grabs. Rangers usually come through on Thursdays to update tags - so that tag will remain through the weekend regardless of whether the folks show or not.

So, if the campground has a "must show the first night" policy, and you find an empty site on Friday afternoon with a reservation tag from Thursday through Monday, then you can take it - just pay for each day at a time. Just make sure there is no sign of occupation (no leveling blocks, chairs, etc.). If they do arrive late, you can decide whether to let them have the site or not (sometimes there is a good reason). If they don't show up, then you have your site for the weekend.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. Tedscilla

Tedscilla New Member

Thanks, Toes!

Those are some great ideas! I think the one I like the best is the "Camping Fund."

It looks like I'm gonna be doin' some researchin' and some readin'!!

Do you use https://www.recreation.gov/ ?

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Yep. It works great for me - that's why I said to add $50 to your fund as that will cover the service fee for reservations.